2022 Recruits

Will not get in between you and Darth Riff and not taking sides and not throwing shades at you or anyone . My take We should be able to get a very good 2023 class. But I will say this i don`t post just to post about prospects. And try not to post to much about the ones that i have very little information on or have not seen play on the court. But the ones i have seen play i will just post just my opinion on that player skill set and what other information i have on that prospect. As for that list of prospects on that list in the 2023 thread. I do know Donovan and McGee are prime targets of Many top schools. I know 3 schools that they are really making a push for McGee and will leave it at that. After talking to a few HS coaches over the summer at a few of the summer league games. One coach i will not share there name said of the players they have talk to. UConn,SC,Stanford,NC ST, MD, Louis, NC ,ect and the list go`s on. And one name that is really starting to make noise is Joni ? i don`t follow her so i can`t say much about her but she is really connecting with some of the players the coach said.
I'll say this we have to get a top ten 2023 class and nothing else matters because anything else will be failure. Any tenure comes to a point where you either have to deliver or be considered to be failing and thus far I don't see it that way, but not being successful in year four with only seven roster players will certainly mean fans will have to face the fact that it is not happening here at Tennessee. Still optimistic that we'll do well in 2023 and will certainly like I told Darth own up to his points if it does not happen. No one gets forever to turn a program around. I always think four years and the first two have been effective and we'll see how it goes this season most of the desk men and predictors think were number 2 or 3 in the conference and if that happens then you certainly have to believe that is successful along with at least a sweet 16 in the NCAA. Then you look and see if we get a top ten class and if no not good and totally unacceptable. If yes in 2023 then were certainly moving in the right direction and people should recognize that as well that refuse to now.

I am just saying that corruption does happen in the women’s game. Sorry for spelling Shea’s name wrong.
No, that is not just what you we’re saying. You specifically called out Ralph for somehow making two recruits leave their HS for one in a school nearer to Vanderbilt.

and you refuse to offer how you know this.

You should be more than just sorry for spelling her name wrong.

I know how frustrating it can be in recruiting and when you feel there are kids your school should be landing, but be patient. It seems Kellie is doing things the right way and things will start to fall into place. I will admit, I lost a lot of respect for Andy Landers when he hired Tasha Humphrey’s mom to lander her. I think she was headed to Duke or Tennessee before he did that. The move but him in the bum for such a longtime, because it really exposed him to a lot of people in recruiting circles. If they are cheating, and trying to build these program’s quickly, you’ll see. There is a reason Yo had all of those recruits with Ole Miss on her list and they dropped them once they really saw what was happening. Same thing with Andy and Georgia, because he struggled with recruiting for a while after the whole thing with Tasha Humphrey.
Almost every coach that I know of took about four seasons to turn it around when they took over a program. That is why I have tried without success with some posters to say you must have patience when your trying to change a bad culture and get relevant again in recruiting. I also know there is also a point when you have to recognize that it is not going to happen. You can't just keep sticking your head in the sand and ignoring what you are seeing. I think for Tennessee that time has come in 2023 because we'll be down to 7 roster players with 8 scholarship to give and that class must be top ten. I don't care how you do it to get to elite you can portal your way there or do it with high schoolers, but you have to get it done. So 2023 seems to be the line in the sand to bring home that class at Tennessee or certainly disappointment will be enormous from myself and certainly I think the majority of the Tennessee fan base.

I know how frustrating it can be in recruiting and when you feel there are kids your school should be landing, but be patient. It seems Kellie is doing things the right way and things will start to fall into place. I will admit, I lost a lot of respect for Andy Landers when he hired Tasha Humphrey’s mom to lander her. I think she was headed to Duke or Tennessee before he did that. The move but him in the bum for such a longtime, because it really exposed him to a lot of people in recruiting circles. If they are cheating, and trying to build these program’s quickly, you’ll see. There is a reason Yo had all of those recruits with Ole Miss on her list and they dropped them once they really saw what was happening. Same thing with Andy and Georgia, because he struggled with recruiting for a while after the whole thing with Tasha Humphrey.

Wow, what's going on with Coach Yo?

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Wow, what's going on with Coach Yo?
She is not as “real” as she continuously claims to be. I was shocked at some of the things that I was told. I used to really like her and was happy for her when she started turning things around at Ole Miss. I have no respect for people who try to win at “any” cost, especially when you are molding and guiding young people. That sends a terrible message to them when you are a mentor.

She did hire that person that was close to Barker and still failed to get Barker so does that person still have a job after this season or even this season we'll see?
The Essence AAU program has ballers that come out of it yearly. I am curious to see what happens with Chris Ayers after this season as well.

Almost every coach that I know of took about four seasons to turn it around when they took over a program. That is why I have tried without success with some posters to say you must have patience when your trying to change a bad culture and get relevant again in recruiting. I also know there is also a point when you have to recognize that it is not going to happen. You can't just keep sticking your head in the sand and ignoring what you are seeing. I think for Tennessee that time has come in 2023 because we'll be down to 7 roster players with 8 scholarship to give and that class must be top ten. I don't care how you do it to get to elite you can portal your way there or do it with high schoolers, but you have to get it done. So 2023 seems to be the line in the sand to bring home that class at Tennessee or certainly disappointment will be enormous from myself and certainly I think the majority of the Tennessee fan base.

Actually, I think Kellie turned this program around in her first season when our team beat so many teams we had lost to in the previous season. While almost every Coach you know of took about four seasons to turn around a program, I bet that didn’t include anyone who had to stop all in person contacts with recruits for over a year due to a pandemic. In all fairness, although I think Kellie will do just fine, maybe you should consider extending Your line in the sand to 2024.

Actually, I think Kellie turned this program around in her first season when our team beat so many teams we had lost to in the previous season. While almost every Coach you know of took about four seasons to turn around a program, I bet that didn’t include anyone who had to stop all in person contacts with recruits for over a year due to a pandemic. In all fairness, although I think Kellie will do just fine, maybe you should consider extending Your line in the sand to 2024.
I think what most people care about is elite eight, final four and that is what she has to do in the next few seasons at least. She has certainly beaten some elite teams and scared some others with far more talent. As far as extending the line all is expected is a top ten class in 2023 as how will we not be able to do that with only 7 roster players returning. The way Marta is going it could be six if she can't get control of the foot problem she may have to give up basketball. As far as getting to a final four it may take more than four years for sure. That is a feat that is getting tougher and tougher to do every season because the talent is very well distributed among as many as up to 30 teams.

Still at second tier recruiting just like Kellie and yes we all want to be in the first tier and yes Tennessee is not on to that level. Only a few teams are less than 10 to be exact. Yes we need to improve, but the point I am making is even established coaches go through less than perfect recruiting seasons. Maryland not doing that much right now or Norte Dame which many thought their new coach would light it up. I can come over to your side and agree that were getting to the years that she has to do better and I would definitely say that year four 2023 has to be the first season for that to happen. I know some Tennessee fans don't have patience that is ok with me you notice I don't attack your post when you attack Kellie and recruiting no reason to. I'll lose some patience to if we can't deliver in year four because in the beginning it was a four year rebuild and thus far everything is going very close to what was planned. We recruited well enough in 2021, 2022 needed to do better still getting one top 15 player is better than nothing. 2023 is the year and if we don't have at least a top ten class then you will certainly have the right to tell everyone I told you so.

The only part I disagree with here is it being a rebuild. Kellie took over a team that was loaded with talent, but had been mismanaged. That is a dream scenario. She had everything she needed from the get go, and just needed to hang onto it. Sure, it takes a bit to install your system and get player development back on track, but this wasn't a cupboard is bare type of situation like the men's football team has faced over and over again where you have a few years recruiting and then a couple years of developing before you can be competitive. It wasn't a situation where our recruiting was lagging previous to the new coach getting here. This was more like needing a tune-up than a complete engine rebuild.

The last class, and the sole player we are getting in this one, are of good quality. It remains to be seen if any will outperform, or underperform their rankings --- which just aren't very accurate in women's basketball anyway. But Kellie needs to make some noise while she still has at least some of what she inherited. And we need to get back to where we are a hot team on the recruiting circuit.

Still at second tier recruiting just like Kellie and yes we all want to be in the first tier and yes Tennessee is not on to that level. Only a few teams are less than 10 to be exact. Yes we need to improve, but the point I am making is even established coaches go through less than perfect recruiting seasons. Maryland not doing that much right now or Norte Dame which many thought their new coach would light it up. I can come over to your side and agree that were getting to the years that she has to do better and I would definitely say that year four 2023 has to be the first season for that to happen. I know some Tennessee fans don't have patience that is ok with me you notice I don't attack your post when you attack Kellie and recruiting no reason to. I'll lose some patience to if we can't deliver in year four because in the beginning it was a four year rebuild and thus far everything is going very close to what was planned. We recruited well enough in 2021, 2022 needed to do better still getting one top 15 player is better than nothing. 2023 is the year and if we don't have at least a top ten class then you will certainly have the right to tell everyone I told you so.

Your points are well taken, but I think given what Covid has done to help established programs recruit versus aspiring programs, this should be considered a five year build.

You make a very good point we'll be down to 7 roster players with 8 scholarship to give. Now here is the key if we are able to get 4 or 5 players in the class of 23, Then to me they will need to be inside the top 20. The reason i say this is because right now we have lost to much ground to SC in recruiting as it stands ? just my opinion. Now with GA on the move and Kim at LSU TN can`t afford to slide anymore in the recurting war.

Your points are well taken, but I think given what Covid has done to help established programs recruit versus aspiring programs, this should be considered a five year build.
You are right but 2023 has to be great because if it isn't were sinking to the bottom part of the SEC only players returning are Darby, Suarez, Striplin, Puckett, Miles, Wynn, and Pissott. An excellent seven but not enough to compete for the first division of the SEC. May seem hard for some to accept but the program has come down to absolutely must need a top ten recruited group or the equivalent in transfers or a little of both. Key and Horston will go Pro and we lose Burrell after this season already said this was her last year.

I think for Tennessee that time has come in 2023 because we'll be down to 7 roster players with 8 scholarship to give and that class must be top ten.

You don't know know that we will have 7 roster players and 8 scholarships to give for 2023. In fact, I think that scenario is highly unlikely.

You don't know know that we will have 7 roster players and 8 scholarships to give for 2023. In fact, I think that scenario is highly unlikely.
Right now that is it and the only way to increase it is through the transfer portal unless there is a 2022 recruit we don't know about as our list shows 0.

Respectfully, I don't think drawing lines in the sand is useful at this point.
May not be useful but is highly accurate as to what the situation will be if we fail with the 2023 recruiting class. I don't like to say it, but reality is reality. If the coaching staff is not thinking of it as a must get ready for SEC bottom of league so they have to get out and either get transfers or 2023 top recruits no way to state it any other way. I mean if you willing to accept going to the middle or further down in the SEC no problem. I doubt most fans would accept that in year four of a coaching reign. Not trying to be negative just stating a fact that is absolutely true.

Reactions: djtee and mcannon1
The only part I disagree with here is it being a rebuild. Kellie took over a team that was loaded with talent, but had been mismanaged. That is a dream scenario. She had everything she needed from the get go, and just needed to hang onto it. Sure, it takes a bit to install your system and get player development back on track, but this wasn't a cupboard is bare type of situation like the men's football team has faced over and over again where you have a few years recruiting and then a couple years of developing before you can be competitive. It wasn't a situation where our recruiting was lagging previous to the new coach getting here. This was more like needing a tune-up than a complete engine rebuild.

While the talent was available, it wasn't employed properly or developed. Team chemistry was poor. The team was emotionally fragile. They were losing to traditional bottom dwellers because they didn't know how to win. That type of situation can take years to resolve even by good coaches. It is much harder to change player and team culture than most people think. It was most definitely a rebuild. Kellie has been attacked on the recruiting trail by coaches and representatives who have a vested interest in things remaining the same and who know that if she is successful, a sleeping giant will awake and that will not be in their best interests. They've been pulling out all the stops but if Kellie starts winning big, their story will be less effective. Just win and win with class baby. I personally believe she has developed her players to be able to compete every game on the schedule. I have not felt that way in a long time.

Exactly why we shouldn't be drawing lines in the sand for 23.
The line is drawn for the 2023 recruiting class and any available transfer not about getting anywhere special in the NCAA. We have to be competitive in the SEC not going to happen unless we get the players for 2023 because a lot of the present talent will be gone.

Reactions: djtee

And Kellie has responded by having a couple of good years back to back, and better last year than the first, with better management and development of the talent she inherited. I agree with you that she needs a breakthrough year - a la Barnes - to really get the traction needed for recruiting with UConn, SC, Stanford, etc.

VN Store

Back