2022 Recruits

I don’t know what she will do but going to South Carolina ? I just looked at what is on front of her ……

#2 Raven Johnson guard
#3 Saniya Rivers. Guard
#14 Bree Hall

#43 Eniya Russell. Guard

#4 Zia Cooke. Guard
#11 Beal. Guard
3* Olivia Thompson Guard

Senior. Destiny Henderson Guard ? COVID ?
Senior. Destiny Littleton. Guard ? COVID ?

There are seven bodies ahead of her ! And some have a COVID year if they want ? If you want to play ? ……, I would go somewhere else ! If you want to watch ? Go to South Carolina! Just my Opinion

I would think Rivers is moving to the wing i saw her over the summer in NC coming out of a workout with other players. Prospect Nation has her at 5-10 that was early on in HS. Looking at her i would say 6-0-6-1 also long.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I don’t know what she will do but going to South Carolina ? I just looked at what is on front of her ……

#2 Raven Johnson guard
#3 Saniya Rivers. Guard
#14 Bree Hall

#43 Eniya Russell. Guard

#4 Zia Cooke. Guard
#11 Beal. Guard
3* Olivia Thompson Guard

Senior. Destiny Henderson Guard ? COVID ?
Senior. Destiny Littleton. Guard ? COVID ?

There are seven bodies ahead of her ! And some have a COVID year if they want ? If you want to play ? ……, I would go somewhere else ! If you want to watch ? Go to South Carolina! Just my Opinion

I doubt Henderson comes back since she can go pro. Cooper doesn't have to worry about Littleton or Thompson because they aren't good enough. So it's just Cooke/Beal for 1 year, then Rivers/Hall/Russell afterwards to share the 2/3. I think the minutes will be there, unless she's expecting to log major starter minutes as a freshman.

I doubt Henderson comes back since she can go pro. Cooper doesn't have to worry about Littleton or Thompson because they aren't good enough. So it's just Cooke/Beal for 1 year, then Rivers/Hall/Russell afterwards to share the 2/3. I think the minutes will be there, unless she's expecting to log major starter minutes as a freshman.

Thanks for looking a little closer. I was going after just the total guard numbers ! I have not seen Cooper play so I cannot judge which players are better or worse than Cooper ! The ranking I see is HG #18 but what does that mean ? And throwing in the COVID extra year just seems like it could become a hindrance to playing time ? Just looking at our team …,, When Cooper would come in (2022) , Horston will probably move to point and I don’t see any REAL #2 guard keeping her from starting! And / or not playing major minutes her freshman year ? But who knows what teenagers will do ? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I need someone(s) to help me with a logic problem.

(Disclaimer: I think Amb3096 has written the most incisive comment about recruiting, so far. “Getting them to buy into the vision of the program and imparting a sense of need for that player probably rates higher than any of the thing you outlined.”)

Whereas, many people have noted the importance of allowing adequate time (usually more than one year is implied.) to build relationships, and thus land some of the potential recruits we target,

and,

Whereas, numerous posters have claimed that Kellie rightly focuses only on those potential recruits who (a) fill a LV need, and (b) are in possession of “the right stuff” in terms of basketball skills, and (c) are of high character, intelligence, et c.

Now, therefor, we examine the possible need to supplement our recruitment of high school kids with The Portal, and

Whereas, the talent available through The Portal is unknown until announced, thus making long-term relationship building difficult if not impossible, and

Whereas, there are no guarantees of candidates meeting the aforementioned (a), (b), and (c), above, and

Whereas, players passing through The Portal will be available for shorter time periods than high school recruits, thus constraining their ability to learn and practice the Lady Vol Way…

Why and how is The Portal invoked as an equivalent source of talent?

Note to those who would accuse me of being against transfers: (1) I'm not, (2) Nowhere above did I utter a single word denigrating potential transfers. This post is about filling a roster by one or more means. ;)

Last edited:
The transfer portal is evil.
No. The portal is going to be an orchard of low-hanging fruit for some teams, and I hope UT is
one of them.
We all know who we consider the great recruiters today right? The main three would be Geno, Dawn, and Kim and there are some others, but I will use these three. Geno first three seasons 12 and 15, 14 and 13, 17 and 11, he then went 24 and 6, 25 and 6, 29 and 5, then a downturn 23 and 11, 18 and 11. then the program took off. There for about four season doesn't look like he was recruiting very well. Then in the next four it got better, and after that elite. Dawn 10 and 18, 14 and 15, 18 and 15, 25 and 10, 25 and 8 first five season. She didn't do to well for three seasons then it got better. She too have a downturn for a couple of season now her program is elite. Kim did well outside of conference play but her first four seasons in conference went 39 and 27. She had a couple more average seasons in conference then she turned it around from there and became an elite program. Point is you got to give a little time to turn things around were in year three and were doing fine.
This post should and does give me and all UT fans some optimism for the future. Every passing year I live I see, more and more, a nation of people who think they are entitled to the best NOW.

She won’t go to UConn. Stanford or UT.

Thanks for helping me with my list of recruits for 23. My list was going into the second page and since she has listed eight teams of interest ! And according to you ….. we are no longer being considered by her ! I can take her off the list ……. Her parents just waisted a lot of money this year visiting twice , while paying for food and hotels and gas and , and …..Once in June and again this month plus a tournament here in September! Maybe it’s too far to drive here and she will go to ND OR IND.

Kellie took a mid-major to the Sweet 16. Also, if you’ve never been to a practice to see her coach or watched her carefully during a game coaching, then you don’t know coaching. She can flat out coach with the best of them. Recruiting is a process, and depending on what’s happened before a new staff rolls in, the process can sometimes be more difficult or easier.
LadyOrange., what techniques does she use in her coaching that makes her such an outstanding
teaching coach. I am not being offensive, but I really would like to know what she does. Thanks for an answer. As an aside, I admit that I was never much of an athlete and am not sure what good coaching is.

Reactions: krichunaka
Thanks for helping me with my list of recruits for 23. My list was going into the second page and since she has listed eight teams of interest ! And according to you ….. we are no longer being considered by her ! I can take her off the list ……. Her parents just waisted a lot of money this year visiting twice , while paying for food and hotels and gas and , and …..Once in June and again this month plus a tournament here in September! Maybe it’s too far to drive here and she will go to ND OR IND.

I believe maybe the poster was trying to state.

She won't go to Uconn... (It's likely) Stanford or UT is how i read it

I could be wrong. Or maybe she was saying Uconn. or Stanford. or UT but the stanford part would throw me off as it wasn't mentioned before BUT she made an unofficial there a few weeks ago which not many people knew about so saying she would choose stanford or UT would be likely at this point.

Before we get up in arms i believe maybe the poster was trying to state. She won't go to Uconn... (It's likely) Stanford or UT is how i read it

I could be wrong
Yes, now I see it. That was a period after UConn (I thought it was a comma). It's either Stanford or UT.

I believe maybe the poster was trying to state.

She won't go to Uconn... (It's likely) Stanford or UT is how i read it

I could be wrong. Or maybe she was saying Uconn. or Stanford. or UT but the stanford part would throw me off as it wasn't mentioned before BUT she made an unofficial there a few weeks ago which not many people knew about so saying she would choose stanford or UT would be likely at this point.

You’re right, there’s a period after UConn. So ”it’s” could be understood, Stanford or UT. Sounds better.

Hold up UT is Tennessee… So add her back to your list we are still in for shade

UT is definitely on Shade’s list! I just don’t see her playing for Geno or someone like him. I believe she will choose either UT or Stanford.

LadyOrange., what techniques does she use in her coaching that makes her such an outstanding
teaching coach. I am not being offensive, but I really would like to know what she does. Thanks for an answer. As an aside, I admit that I was never much of an athlete and am not sure what good coaching is.
Well, I don’t have space on this board to fully explain why Kellie is an excellent coach. But I’ll start with she knows the game of basketball inside and out from having played for Summitt and from having learned how to coach from Summitt. Pat once said that you can’t expect to have a successful organization if you have the wrong people in the wrong jobs, no matter how many hours they may work. You have to put people in positions that suit their natural abilities To do that, you have to hire the right people and know who they are. So, Kellie is going to recruit the players she has evaluated to be not only good basketball players but who are right for the team. Sure, Pat brought some great recruits to UT, but what made her a great coach was that she could make a 3 star a 4 or 5 star. Kellie is doing the same thing. For example, Dye has a particular playing style and strengths and when she is on the floor, Kellie will coach to her strengths. Some coaches force players to change what works for them to fit into what the coach thinks is best rather than using the player’s strengths. Kellie is smart and knows what motivates her players. Year three, she can be tougher in the players who she didn’t recruit because she’s built trust with them. She can be tough and still care about her players. Also, like Pat, she relies heavily on analytics to make coaching decisions. And like Pat, Kellie understands the process of team building. Coaching well isn’t rocket science. It’s common sense.

VN Store

Back