2022 Recruits

On paper, yes, we are not the top recruiting class
But as a coach I know, "Stars are for galaxies" (after the top 5-10 they're about as accurate as the ones that called them "stars")

but as they say,,,,THIS is why they play the games on the court, not on paper

There is some truth to the “it’s difficult to project” argument as you get down the rankings, especially in 2020 given limited camp exposure. But, the key thing you said is “after the top 5-10” which is confirmed by both rankings and who is recruiting them hard. We just need to sprinkle in a few.

The NFL drafting process has become a second sport to the actual game and for months prior to the draft many predictions and exclusive paid for sites for the fans to review. With social media the recruitment of colllege players especially football and basketball has followed that trend. This post is 3927 on this thread and by now we all have learned that NONE of us know what will actually transpire between now and early November. An expert is a person who has a (comprehensive and authoritative) knowledge in a particular area. A true LV fan is a person who has optimism and ongoing supportive knowledge and opinions.

The LVs has a roster preparing to play 2021-22 and this thread is speculating who will be added to another team re 2022-23.

Coach i agree with you 95-100 % but on this one i need to push back on one issue Holly. Holly was a bad coach and everyone would agree. But Holly decided to hire Sharrona Reaves as the recruiting coordinator and she worked alone. Reaves job was to bring in the top talent and that`s what she did, But at the end of the day Holly could not coach the talent. Like i said before i think we all need to hold judgement Coach Sam and Coach Joy and give them time. For me the only credit i will give Holly is hiring recruiting coordinator Reaves who was tremendous at her job. She was the one oh went out a found Key she was sitting in the stands Key was never on Holly radar and i know. Reaves knew Key was not on of the elites but knew Key could play with them and one day be one. We can all agree to disagree, Good job Coach Jumper,
What is Reaves doing now? Why is she not coaching now? Why isn't she on anybodies radar?

In recruiting promises and paydays will get them there but it wont keep them there. A lot of coaches make promises they can't keep and offer incentives that they shouldn't and eventually it catches up to them (unless they win). It all comes crumbling down when you aren't winning and you can't keep up with all the promises.

If many of you knew the ins and outs about AAU and how many of the coaches are you would see why things have changed. There is something called integrity, and Kellie is all about that. Things that occurred during Holly's tenure will not fly under Kellie's!

Holly had how many top 10 classes and of those top classes all she had to show for it was Rennia and KK and both Rennia and KK played their best under Kellie. She (Holly) also recruited Rae, TK, Emily, Rennie, and Horston. Rae is the only one to play for her and Rae is a totally different player under Kellie than she ever was under Holly and up to this point (and this is no disrespect to them) Rennie and Emily have shown that they may have been added to ensure to not bomb in recruiting like when we took Kam Harris (who also showed to be a far better player under Kellie than Holly).

The fact that Holly had almost a decade to get it done (with talent that was left to her and the ones she recruited) and wasn't able to get it done yet many of you use her and her recruiting as a staple and Kellie has shown she can get more out of less in 2 seasons here yet many of you give her hell and it is troublesome.

I wish some of you trolls just admit the teams that y'all really cheer for and stop pretending to be Lady Vols fans because clearly y'all aren't. Especially those of you who disappear when things are going well only to reappear and say I told you so when things change.

The fact that Holly had almost a decade to get it done (with talent that was left to her and the ones she recruited) and wasn't able to get it done yet many of you use her and her recruiting as a staple and Kellie has shown she can get more out of less in 2 seasons here yet many of you give her hell and it is troublesome.

This times fifteen thousand. I'll be the first to say that I think Holly's recruiting was pretty good (in some years) and I think it's the direction recruiting should be heading toward, but the idea of judging Harper's recruiting on 1.5 seasons of basketball, particularly with everything else that's happened, is frikkin' looney-tunes. Not to mention that the types of kids she was recruiting at NC State and Missouri State are not the types of kids she's recruiting at Tennessee, which means she's working to establish or build relationships across the board in some ways. Does any of this excuse bad years in recruiting? No. But as I said elsewhere, even Miss SEC Recruiting Gold Standard Dawn Staley took FOUR years to get her recruiting apparatus to pay results. FOUR. So somehow Kellie should do it in half the time, under these conditions. Sure. Okay.

Uh, your response lacks wisdom.

Uh,
c33c9a94-8206-4fc3-a60e-3375849bb9ab_text.gif

Yawn

My expectations for Key are so high this season doubt she will be able to meet them. She has the ultimate basketball body lot of length and size to be unstoppable still waiting for her to take charge. Horston is held back by poor shooting has it all other than she doesn't make enough of the shots she takes hopefully she has gotten better this coming season. I don't know whether to credit Harper or Burrell working on her own for her development as a player. How players like Key and Horston and others play this season will answer that question. My hope is that we have a player development program that will see players vastly improve every season still need more information to see if that is happening.
I look for Key to make a big jump in her offensive production, while being even better on defense--she will have a breakout season. We can only hope that Key will develop along a similar path as Burrell. As to Horston, I also expect a breakout year. Burrell, Key, and Horston will be the key to LV success this upcoming season.

Good point about Dawn. Let's not forget that Holly still had a winning record against Dawn when she was let go...mainly due to having superior talent in Dawn's first few seasons.

Dawn's success on the court and recruiting didn't really elevate until she signed A'ja Wilson, a South Carolina native who strongly considered Tennessee.

This times fifteen thousand. I'll be the first to say that I think Holly's recruiting was pretty good (in some years) and I think it's the direction recruiting should be heading toward, but the idea of judging Harper's recruiting on 1.5 seasons of basketball, particularly with everything else that's happened, is frikkin' looney-tunes. Not to mention that the types of kids she was recruiting at NC State and Missouri State are not the types of kids she's recruiting at Tennessee, which means she's working to establish or build relationships across the board in some ways. Does any of this excuse bad years in recruiting? No. But as I said elsewhere, even Miss SEC Recruiting Gold Standard Dawn Staley took FOUR years to get her recruiting apparatus to pay results. FOUR. So somehow Kellie should do it in half the time, under these conditions. Sure. Okay.

Reactions: mlindsay
So everyone thinks that the consensus number 9 class in the country is not a good recruiting year. That means only 8 teams recruited better than we did in 2021. We all would like to be number one, but bringing in top ten recruiting classes is the the most attainable goal.

You don't seem to understand what "consensus" means.

Hint: it isn't what ONE outlying recruiting service rated their class...

Reactions: mcannon1
The excuses really are laughable. Dawn Staley had to create excitement and tradition at a school that never had any of that. If Dawn had taken over here, she would have been able to utilize everything that was already in place…such as tradition, top notch facilities and the LV name. A good to great coach should be able to take this program and hit the ground running in recruiting. A so-so coach would have to prove themselves to players and coaches in the high school ranks.
Also, the idea that if you question what is going on over there, means you are a troll and not a true LV fan is ridiculous! That’s BS! If you aren’t questioning what is going on, I would question your fandom. If you were around when Pat had it rolling, then you should question how the mighty have fallen so fast. This program should recruit itself. All a competent coach needs to do is have the name recognition to get her foot in the door and get the right player excited and it would be rolling again. Instead, we are recruiting the overachieving 4 star players and expecting to compete with the heavyweights. Not happening! In fact, the longer we recruit these second tier recruits, it will be even harder to ever get back to where we should be. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A STAR! It can’t be a team full of complimentary players! You need an alpha! A Chamique…a Candace…those players would most likely not come to play for Coach Harper.

It’s disturbing to me how black and white some people are when evaluating coaches and players. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Holly is a great recruiter and was an excellent assistant coach. She was thrown into an emotionally complicated situation when Pat had to step down as head coach. The learning curve was tremendous, and she didn’t have a chance to grieve losing Pat. She did the best she could given the circumstances. Under different circumstances, she may have proved to be a good head coach. Should she have been replaced as head coach? Yes. Is the bulk of the ongoing criticism of her warranted? No.

I also think it’s interesting that even though the teams hasn’t played one game this season, some people are fixated on future recruiting classes. It might be better to focus on the riches we have, which are enormous. Kellie is a teacher like Pat was, and she has the experience and intelligence to improve all players. If Kellie sees potential in a player regardless of her rating, she will bring that player in and develop that potential. I’m very pleased with the progress in the program.
This!!!!!!!!

The excuses really are laughable. Dawn Staley had to create excitement and tradition at a school that never had any of that. If Dawn had taken over here, she would have been able to utilize everything that was already in place…such as tradition, top notch facilities and the LV name. A good to great coach should be able to take this program and hit the ground running in recruiting. A so-so coach would have to prove themselves to players and coaches in the high school ranks.
Also, the idea that if you question what is going on over there, means you are a troll and not a true LV fan is ridiculous! That’s BS! If you aren’t questioning what is going on, I would question your fandom. If you were around when Pat had it rolling, then you should question how the mighty have fallen so fast. This program should recruit itself. All a competent coach needs to do is have the name recognition to get her foot in the door and get the right player excited and it would be rolling again. Instead, we are recruiting the overachieving 4 star players and expecting to compete with the heavyweights. Not happening! In fact, the longer we recruit these second tier recruits, it will be even harder to ever get back to where we should be. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A STAR! It can’t be a team full of complimentary players! You need an alpha! A Chamique…a Candace…those players would most likely not come to play for Coach Harper.
Let’s check in on UConn 5 years after Geno retires. It’s like with stocks “past performance is no guarantee of future results”. Kellie will return The Lady Vols to championship contender in her own fashion and in some ways in spite of Pat.

17 seasons is a pretty small sample size...

17 seasons IS a long time to accumulate coaching experience, but coaching a mid major is a little different than coaching a major elite university like Tennessee. A mid major like Missouri State do have some fine players, but these are players fall under the radar, and in fact are very good players who are unknown to most services. Still, these are not players that will bring a NC to a school, so now Kellie has to work to get that same kind of commitment from the elite players that could possibly bring the NC to Tennessee. Arizona was just a good team until they got Macdonald to transfer in, an elite player that was a huge factor in their F4 run. As it was already mentioned, SC was just a very good team before A'ja Wilson was signed. My point was that Kellie has to show the elite High School players that she is a top notch coach, and coming to Tennessee can make their dreams come through. As far as rankings, most of it is perception, as there are alot of players undervalued in the rankings, but getting one of these players, combined with Kellies coaching, will entice others to take a longer look at Tennessee for their college career. IMHO, she is the right person for this task, but by the end of next year she has to show results. I think she will.

VN Store

Back