2022 Recruits

You need to pay closer attention before posting such nonsense. Maybe you should listen to what his players say about him before babbling about him being out of touch. I'm assuming that you are new to WCBB so I'll cut a little slack.

How about some facts about Auriemma -
Next year he has the number one recruit (touted as the next Taurasi) and the #2 recruiting class with 6 top players coming in. For 2021 he has already gotten a verbal from the #1 ranked big in the class along with a 5 star guard. 2022s Azzi Fudd may well be next since she and Bueckers are buds. That sure doesn't look like twilight slippage to me.

Your earlier comment about "that #1 post" not doing well is also off the mark. I'm assuming that you are talking about ONO. As most women's basketball fans recognize, it takes a while to develop post players. ONO is a case in point. She was ranked #5 BTW and as a sophomore she has made progress, averaging 10.9/8.5 with 100+ blocks this season. Next year she will be even better. If you are talking about Walker who was ranked #1 she was 19.7/8.4 this year.

Auriemma has said repeatedly over the last 5-6 years that he has had to change his coaching methods to adapt to the current player/parent climate - and he has. If you watched UConn games you would hear the announcers mention that in nearly every game broadcast. Those changes include his gym and courtside demeanor. Pay attention now - here comes the important part - At the twilight of his career Auriemma is 223 and 6 over the last 6 years. During that time he has won 3 NCs and reached all 6 final fours. Two of the final four losses were on buzzer beaters. He recently said that he expects to coach for another 5 years.
Azzi Fudd is 2021 and the 2022 commit is 6'3" post 'Ice' Brady ranked #3 overall. Two of his 2020 recruits are under ranked because of not playing in the US. Aaliyah Edwards is a 6'3" forward who was voted MVP and DPOY for the Ontario Scholastic Basketball Assoc. and has played on the Canadian National Women's Team since she was 17. Also Croatian point guard Nika Muhl who is hardly mentioned in recruiting services and appears to be a Paige clone in highlight videos. Throw in #3 ranked forward and Maryland Gatorade Player of the year Mir McLean. Lastly 6'5" post Piath Gabirel who has offers from Tennessee, L'ville, UNC, Miami, etc.

Yup, It's pretty clear poor old Geno has lost his recruiting touch.

Reactions: mcannon1
Orange at the moment those are just names on a page.....Of course, in due time, those names will take the shapes of damn fine basketball players to most of us...

Geno has always known the value of good/great offense....It is the key to championships.

Reactions: mcannon1
how many 6'7"s are there playing D1? The only ones who come to mind is Sedona Prince and the 6'9" Nancy Mulkey who hasn't developed into much of a force.

I think UConn has only had one, Wolters, right? She's the only one that comes to mind but I'm not exactly a Husky historian...

Reactions: NeedOrange
I actually think Key has much more upside than Boston at S.C. (I’m sure the SC poster with the terrifically inappropriate meme will be on this like a duck or chicken on a June bug).
But your point is exactly why I think this. Boston is a naturally large young woman and that can be a big advantage when you are just banging away inside. She is also a skilled player, I don’t want to take anything away from her. She also seems like a good kid.
But Key, who can get stronger, is always going to be a leaner and more athletic center. With the development of more moves, isolation plays where she is open, more mature guard play, she can be a terror from 12 feet in. She will be able to draw centers like Boston away from the basket and then go by them or drop the ball off to a teammate at the basket. We have only scratched the surface with Miss Key and her block party.
And, her mom seems like a great gal!!!
Key is a lot faster up the court and could score in transition. It would take all 5 players running hard in lanes and having key trail in the middle for triangular passing into her on the move.

In the half court the key would be becoming strong enough to defend Boston down low and the two approaches;
1) being a big enough threat from 15 (i.e. 50%) to draw her out from the basket to open up a high low game or back door cuts from the wings.
2) being quick (and fearless) enough to go right at her and put her in foul trouble.

Easier said than done

Orange at the moment those are just names on a page.....Of course, in due time, those names will take the shapes of damn fine basketball players to most of us...

Geno has always known the value of good/great offense....It is the key to championships.
Agreed. Nice ladies who haven't done a thing. But when we're talking recruiting all we can talk about is potential. Didn't I just see a list on some thread here of all the players ranked 50 and above who are lighting it up all over the place.

Geno always teaches offense comes from defense. He says anyone can score, playing time is based primarily on defense at UConn.

As a UConn fan, I hope so too. There was nothing more exciting in WCBB than the rivalry between UConn and UTenn. I don't think that top talent alone will return UT to the elite level. I think that there needs to be a change in how UT plays the game. That may be difficult with a coach that learned the game at Pat Summitt's knee. The game has changed and I think CPS recognized that before her illness.

U rite,but why are u here sir/madam???

You need to pay closer attention before posting such nonsense. Maybe you should listen to what his players say about him before babbling about him being out of touch. I'm assuming that you are new to WCBB so I'll cut a little slack.

How about some facts about Auriemma -
Next year he has the number one recruit (touted as the next Taurasi) and the #2 recruiting class with 6 top players coming in. For 2021 he has already gotten a verbal from the #1 ranked big in the class along with a 5 star guard. 2022s Azzi Fudd may well be next since she and Bueckers are buds. That sure doesn't look like twilight slippage to me.

Your earlier comment about "that #1 post" not doing well is also off the mark. I'm assuming that you are talking about ONO. As most women's basketball fans recognize, it takes a while to develop post players. ONO is a case in point. She was ranked #5 BTW and as a sophomore she has made progress, averaging 10.9/8.5 with 100+ blocks this season. Next year she will be even better. If you are talking about Walker who was ranked #1 she was 19.7/8.4 this year.

Auriemma has said repeatedly over the last 5-6 years that he has had to change his coaching methods to adapt to the current player/parent climate - and he has. If you watched UConn games you would hear the announcers mention that in nearly every game broadcast. Those changes include his gym and courtside demeanor. Pay attention now - here comes the important part - At the twilight of his career Auriemma is 223 and 6 over the last 6 years. During that time he has won 3 NCs and reached all 6 final fours. Two of the final four losses were on buzzer beaters. He recently said that he expects to coach for another 5 years.

Setting your condescension aside, I agree that Connecticut is set for several more seasons. As for the incredible six-season record - and it is amazing - do you know in how many games you were the underdogs? I don’t ask this to diminish coaching, but rather to highlight his recruiting prowess, because the teams with the best players will almost always win, and Connecticut has had the best players in college basketball for most of the past two-plus decades. OTOH, when Tennessee had the Candace group things went our way. That’s how it is. It is all, or mostly about recruiting. There aren’t many “systems” in place to compensate for that, including Pat’s, Muffet’s, Kim’s, geno’s, etc. Credit is due to all of them for player development/management, but it’s a bit easier to develop top-flight players into an established organization.
So no, there’s no reason to think that the end is in sight. The system is in place. And, whether you like the birthmark that some of us associate with your coach, the dirty work was done years and decades ago.

Last edited:
OK guys....Tell us why the LVs are a better choice than South Carolina, Baylor, or UConn, or any other current top team ....There is no wrong answer, just what your sales pitch would be to the student and their family.
Better education than SC and Columbia is a dump. Geno is old and slipping, his days are numbered health eise. Mulkey same has health issues plus waco sucks as city not a lgbt friendly school, and schedule is in brutal weather in conference. Knoxville is beautiful, massive fan support, in best conference, young coaches are more adaptable to changing styles for talent. Excellent business college, mountains, best conference. Excellent facilities. Chance to be star from game one. Excellent talent on roaster. Graduation rate. Baylor tops for education, SC for coaching, but worst for education, already loaded with young stars. Baylor over recruits and brings in transfers at drop of hate, so does SC. Stanford has it all, certainly education and weather, but time zone keeps lots of games off national television pac 12 network isnt part of espn so hard for family to catch games. UCONN bad weather to live and go to school in, big east is still not a real conference, no other interesting sports. SEC football, Softbsll, Baseball are by far best, and most recruits are all around sports fans. Stanford and UCONN very expensive to go out for entertainment as student compared to Knoxville. SEC Network is hands down best and most carried conference network.

Key is a lot faster up the court and could score in transition. It would take all 5 players running hard in lanes and having key trail in the middle for triangular passing into her on the move.

In the half court the key would be becoming strong enough to defend Boston down low and the two approaches;
1) being a big enough threat from 15 (i.e. 50%) to draw her out from the basket to open up a high low game or back door cuts from the wings.
2) being quick (and fearless) enough to go right at her and put her in foul trouble.

Easier said than done
key held her own against Boston. She needs to learn what fouls will be called, that is why she seems timid. She will be as good or better thsn Russell in my opinion

Ace IS already a great shooter, but she could be an even better overall player if she got into the habit of following her shot. Granted, in a highlights reel we’re only seeing made baskets, and she very well may be able to sense that it’s going in pretty quickly after it leaves her hands...

But still... I’d love to see modern shooters taking advantage of the fact that they have the advantage when it comes to getting rebounds after long misses if they make a move toward the basket soon after they shoot instead of standing and watching it. As the player who shot the ball, they are the one who is going to have the best guess as to which direction the ball will go on a miss, but most shooters today never even try at all to go get a rebound. Ugh.

I know what you're saying. But she may be doing as she was coached. Our coach had a rule that the 3 point shooter was responsible for getting back on defense. If the 3 point shooter crashed the boards that could result in an uncontested layup on the other end. No Bueno!

These are the Naismith Youth All American rankings 2022-2025. Tennessee is a hot bed for talented young players. Not opposed to recruiting out of state, but I hope the staff works hard to keep our talented young ladies at home

9. Katherine Graves
15. Jennifer Sullivan
20. Avery Strickland
21. Terri Reynolds
48. Karly Weathers

9. Cori Allen
15. Mallory Collier
26. Jalen Banks
87. KJ Corley

1. Jaloni Cambridge
6. Madi Hawk
16. Aaiyanna Dunbar
50. Savannah Scruggs
69. Shinae Howard

6. Lazavonia Hawkins
29. Kami Wilson
32. Kailee Reid
36. Kinley Painter

If TN can get Karly Weathers her cousin forward Kinsey Weathers 2021 recruit would be formidable player simply because she has grown up with Karly and played so
much with her. Karly and Kinsey seem to read each others' minds. The two of them really carried the Loretta Mustangs load this year. Great record for one of the smallest
high schools in Tennessee. Kinsey has great speed up and down the court and has held some of the top players in Tennessee to low scoring.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
These are the Naismith Youth All American rankings 2022-2025. Tennessee is a hot bed for talented young players. Not opposed to recruiting out of state, but I hope the staff works hard to keep our talented young ladies at home

9. Katherine Graves
15. Jennifer Sullivan
20. Avery Strickland
21. Terri Reynolds
48. Karly Weathers

9. Cori Allen
15. Mallory Collier
26. Jalen Banks
87. KJ Corley

1. Jaloni Cambridge
6. Madi Hawk
16. Aaiyanna Dunbar
50. Savannah Scruggs
69. Shinae Howard

6. Lazavonia Hawkins
29. Kami Wilson
32. Kailee Reid
36. Kinley Painter

2023 list without Jada Harrison from Westview is a joke. She is going to be one of the best scoring guards in the entire country in her class.

Reactions: River67

9. Katherine Graves
15. Jennifer Sullivan
20. Avery Strickland
21. Terri Reynolds
48. Karly Weathers

9. Cori Allen
15. Mallory Collier
26. Jalen Banks
87. KJ Corley

1. Jaloni Cambridge
6. Madi Hawk
16. Aaiyanna Dunbar
50. Savannah Scruggs
69. Shinae Howard

6. Lazavonia Hawkins
29. Kami Wilson
32. Kailee Reid
36. Kinley Painter
2021- AJ Stephenson, Huntland, just may surprise a lot of people.

Azzi Fudd is 2021 and the 2022 commit is 6'3" post 'Ice' Brady ranked #3 overall. Two of his 2020 recruits are under ranked because of not playing in the US. Aaliyah Edwards is a 6'3" forward who was voted MVP and DPOY for the Ontario Scholastic Basketball Assoc. and has played on the Canadian National Women's Team since she was 17. Also Croatian point guard Nika Muhl who is hardly mentioned in recruiting services and appears to be a Paige clone in highlight videos. Throw in #3 ranked forward and Maryland Gatorade Player of the year Mir McLean. Lastly 6'5" post Piath Gabirel who has offers from Tennessee, L'ville, UNC, Miami, etc.

Yup, It's pretty clear poor old Geno has lost his recruiting touch.
The 2021 No. 1 post he was probably talking about is 6’5” Amari DeBerry.

The 2021 No. 1 post he was probably talking about is 6’5” Amari DeBerry.
pretty sure that's who he meant in that part of his comment. I was correcting his comment that fudd is 2022 when she is #1 in class of 2021 and if he was thinking of the 2022 Ice Brady

VN Store

Back