2022 Recruits

it was, the assessment was on par with what I saw, but the verbiage should have been less "biting" and I do apologize for that

For everyone discussing Justine Pissott and her potential worthiness, or lack thereof, as a potential SEC level player, I have one name for you.- Sidney Spenser.

Jim

@Coach Jumper i appreciate your assessment and please don’t let today steer you away from giving it. I do understand the one part that had people concerned as I’m sure you do because as you’ve stated we have children reading this board as well as their families.

Back to the assessment and what we should be discussing.

Based on what you saw does she have the athletic ability to be mobile in the post/on the perimeter as a stretch 4 type player? I ask because I feel defense can and will be taught by Kellie, do you think she’s more or less mobile than a Kortney Dunbar/Sidney Spencer and potential wise where would you see her in comparison to those two given ability and athleticism?

thank you,,, back to topic...Justine moves very well for a 6'4" player and her potential footspeed is there,,,she will need to learn how to closeout, read movements and shake her fear of mixing it up...Kortney Dunbar was a liability on defense in the perimeter, but she had no fear mixing it up down-low and this is where CHW failed miserably,,,Kortney would have been a super hi-lo player, but CHW kept her out on the perimeter defending and leaving her to exposure. Justine is much more like a Spencer, in that spencer was not made for low or even mid-post defending.

Defense can be taught, I do it all the time. And especially with longer/taller players,,,they have to learn to quarry their assignment like a cat with a rat" and control their movement and progress, instead of direct confrontation like a smaller/shorter/quicker players.

I told Meme to do this same thing against the smaller speed-guards and her defense immediately improved. I told her that they were using her length against her and waiting for her to lean in and the attacking once she leaned in,,,, instead stay on your heels, stay low and wide and only attack a picked u p dribble,,,,,telling her that made all the difference in her game.

I am sure Justine can be trained to defend, that is not my concern,,,it is to learn to accept and even desire physical confrontation and attacking the glass that is my concern,,,doing those things is not about length, speed or strength,,,it's about heart and inner-fight,,,and that is not what I saw on those five games...case in point, Jordan Walker, she led the team in rebounding in a couple of games and was the shortest player on the team

Last edited:
thank you,,, back to topic...Justine moves very well for a 6'4" player and her potential footspeed is there,,,she will need to learn how to closeout, read movements and shake her fear of mixing it up...Kortney Dunbar was a liability on defense in the perimeter, but she had no fear mixing it up down-low and this is where CHW failed miserably,,,Kortney would have been a super hi-lo player, but CHW kept her out on the perimeter defending and leaving her to exposure. Justine is much more like a Spencer, in that spencer was not made f or low or even mid-post defending.

Not sure why you'd say that Spencer was not made for post defending. What made her so versatile her last two years was her ability to play offense on the wing and defense in the post...allowing the more mobile and versatile Anosike to defend the perimeter. That offense-defense matchup was a big part of their wins vs. UNC, Rutgers and Stanford.

thank you,,, back to topic...Justine moves very well for a 6'4" player and her potential footspeed is there,,,she will need to learn how to closeout, read movements and shake her fear of mixing it up...Kortney Dunbar was a liability on defense in the perimeter, but she had no fear mixing it up down-low and this is where CHW failed miserably,,,Kortney would have been a super hi-lo player, but CHW kept her out on the perimeter defending and leaving her to exposure. Justine is much more like a Spencer, in that spencer was not made for low or even mid-post defending.

Defense can be taught, I do it all the time. And especially with longer/taller players,,,they have to learn to quarry their assignment like a cat with a rat" and control their movement and progress, instead of direct confrontation like a smaller/shorter/quicker players.

I told Meme to do this same thing against the smaller speed-guards and her defense immediately improved. I told her that they were using her length against her and waiting for her to lean in and the attacking once she leaned in,,,, instead stay on your heels, stay low and wide and only attack a picked u p dribble,,,,,telling her that made all the difference in her game.

I am sure Justine can be trained to defend, that is not my concern,,,it is to learn to accept and even desire physical confrontation and attacking the glass that is my concern,,,doing those things is not about length, speed or strength,,,it's about heart and inner-fight,,,and that is not what I saw on those five games...case in point, Jordan Walker, she led the team in rebounding in a couple of games and was the shortest player on the team

If that’s your concern with Justine i’m sure Kellie will get that out of her. She has been a perimeter player and has not had to seek contact because she was shooting and making it from the parking lot. Rennia Davis didn’t like contact and she had to be taught to take it down low. Breanna Stewart got ripped for staying on the perimeter and her game developed. Also remember she is a 16 year old who is adding to her game. Your assessment was awesome and the best part is that these things are easily fixed! If the potential is there and she gets the coaching she will be fine

Not sure why you'd say that Spencer was not made for post defending. What made her so versatile her last two years was her ability to play offense on the wing and defense in the post...allowing the more mobile and versatile Anosike to defend the perimeter. That offense-defense matchup was a big part of their wins vs. UNC, Rutgers and Stanford.

exactly,,,"her last two years",,,before that she did not mix it up nearly like she did once a good coach coached it out of her

It was taught to her and i agree! She has to work on that and it became a strength her last two years!

It was taught to her and i agree! She has to work on that and it became a strength her last two years!
Sid was a post player from the start who moved to the wing as an upperclassman. My point is that she was solidly built and played pretty physical from the word go. She learned the finesse later on, not the other way around.

Striplin seems to fit the Spencer mold more than Pissott. Can't think of too many successful tall girls who could shoot but shied away from contact. Sounds like that's the part she'll need to adjust to given the physicality of the SEC.

Sid was a post player from the start who moved to the wing as an upperclassman. My point is that she was solidly built and played pretty physical from the word go. She learned the finesse later on, not the other way around.

Striplin seems to fit the Spencer mold more than Pissott. Can't think of too many successful tall girls who could shoot but shied away from contact. Sounds like that's the part she'll need to adjust to given the physicality of the SEC.

Striplin is a beast in the paint and a marksman from the elbow,,,the closest one I can compare to her is Graves

Reactions: Lucy and dapeak

Completely understand that assessment. Over the next year to year and a half I hope we see her rebounding numbers improve and her free throw attempts. That may be an indicator of her working more in the post and becoming scrappier. I hope that Kellie wouldn’t allow a 6’4 player to float only on the perimeter no matter how good they are at shooting the three. Use all of your attributes.
It’s great to hear the things with regards to her mobility/athleticism that’s typically the fear

My point she was taught to defend in the post and became decent to pretty good at it in her last two years ... it can be taught.

If that’s your concern with Justine i’m sure Kellie will get that out of her. She has been a perimeter player and has not had to seek contact because she was shooting and making it from the parking lot. Rennia Davis didn’t like contact and she had to be taught to take it down low. Breanna Stewart got ripped for staying on the perimeter and her game developed. Also remember she is a 16 year old who is adding to her game. Your assessment was awesome and the best part is that these things are easily fixed! If the potential is there and she gets the coaching she will be fine
THIS... I remember reading about Rennia's tendency to stay on the perimeter in HS
Wing Rennia Davis flies high

Reactions: mcannon1
My point she was taught to defend in the post and became decent to pretty good at it in her last two years ... it can be taught.
That's where our disconnect is. She came in as a post player and was pretty effective playing inside on defense her whole career, even as a freshman. She branched out on offense, not defense.

I hope Striplin has more confidence in her midrange shot than Bashaara did, as well as being able to alter shots. Loved Bashaara, bit she had zero length or hops.
remember Striplin was 1 block and two steals away from, only the third quintuple double in HS history

There are only two known quintuple-doubles, both at the girls' high-school level. The first was recorded by Tamika Catchings of Duncanville High School (Duncanville, Texas) with 25 points, 18 rebounds, 11 assists, 10 steals and 10 blocks in 1997.[118] The second was by Aimee Oertner of Northern Lehigh High School (Slatington, Pennsylvania), who had 26 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals, and 11 blocks on January 7, 2012.[119]

That's where our disconnect is. She came in as a post player and was pretty effective playing inside on defense her whole career, even as a freshman. She branched out on offense, not defense.

No, Pat would benched her for her defense and it got better. I know she came in as a post player but she was pulled from games at first because of her post defense. She became more proficient at both moving her feet AND taking charges as she got older.

i’m good trust me 😃

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
highlight reels are just that,,,invest 40$ and watch the five entire games of this weekend.

Thanks for your advice. I went back and watched her highlight reels. And you are correct, she hangs out around the perimeter almost all of the time, though I do see some baseline drives. I said in my post she needs to work on an inside game. I also note she is a junior in HS, so she has her senior year to work on developing a more complete game. Hopefully, Kellie and her HS coach (mother) are on the same page about that. You said she is not SEC ready - but of course - she's just a hs junior. That's an honest assessment. It didn't ruffle my feathers. The point of my original post is: A female player who is 6-4 and can shoot with that range as a junior in HS and move and run and pass the way she does is someone who could develop into a devastating offensive player.

remember Striplin was 1 block and two steals away from, only the third quintuple double in HS history

She also just won shot put and placed second in javelin on her way to states. Both require fast twitch muscle so hopefully that will translate over to her freshman year.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I went back and watched her highlight reels. And you are correct, she hangs out around the perimeter almost all of the time, though I do see some baseline drives.

How long has she been playing with this team. Is the game about showcasing one-on-one skills or did they run organized and structured offenses? Could the coach have told her to play outside? She might have been following instructions. Could be several reasons for her play.

No, Pat would benched her for her defense and it got better. I know she came in as a post player but she was pulled from games at first because of her post defense. She became more proficient at both moving her feet AND taking charges as she got older.

i’m good trust me 😃
Not every freshman post player is Aliyah Boston. Most of them aren't coming into college ready to defend college experienced 5's without some improvements needed...but the foundation is at least already there. Sid had more raw skills as a post defender to work with, even if they needed some polish. Unless her coach puts in the effort now to get her used to it before college, I doubt she'll be a quick study there once she gets on campus, but guess we'll see 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Argonaut
Justine also had a very bad case of Covid 2 months ago....Missed 4 HS games..Has had breathing difficulties since....Is still recovering with her breathing. Has chest pains.

She was also 6'2 until this past recent growth spurt that put 2 plus inches on her....Her father says she is 6'5''' and still growing....He's 6'10".

Now give the girl a break....She will soon be under the guidance of Brenna Stewart...You can bet your last sorry dollar she will be telling Geno about this girl....It might be nice, if she or her family happens to read this board, that nice things are said about the girl.

Some of you guys complain and want a 3 point shooter and we finally get one that shoots from 25 feet, and you want her under the damn basket.

Here's a great idea, let Kellie take care of where she wants Justine at...She is the boss.

Not every freshman post player is Aliyah Boston. Most of them aren't coming into college ready to defend college experienced 5's without some improvements needed...but the foundation is at least already there. Sid had more raw skills as a post defender to work with, even if they needed some polish. Unless her coach puts in the effort now to get her used to it before college, I doubt she'll be a quick study there once she gets on campus, but guess we'll see 🤷‍♂️

Aliyah Boston is a great defender but we are TN you could have used Tamari Key and her defensive presence in your example. she was in a roll til covid 😉

VN Store

Back