2022 Fall Practice #6

Fingers

The Vols were in full pads for the first time in camp and the intensity level out on Haslam could be felt by everyone. Tackling drills at the top of practice had a little more to it than normal and as media were ushered off the field after three periods, the entire team came together for some goal line board drills (hitting).
It’s important for Tennessee to get these two full padded practices out of the way and to get acclimated well as Tuesday will be scrimmage one of fall camp.
Jerome Carvin was not in full pads as he continues to take precaution with what we’ve been told is a minor ankle situation. With the senior continuing to miss some time early in camp, freshman Addison Nichols is getting more looks at guard.
We did not see Kamal Hadden out there today, though he’s missed each of the past three practices we’ve been privy to. Transfer wideout Bru McCoy was getting some extra stretches in with a trainer off to the side while the media was present today. He was moving around well and was dressed in full pads, so it probably falls in line with the rest of the veterans as a precautionary look early in camp.
Jabari Small looked good in this drill – as did veteran Lyn-J Dixon as you can tell he’s done this over the years at Clemson. Freshman Dylan Sampson looked smooth running screens as he was asked to do a lot of this in high school. But for fellow freshman Justin Williams-Thomas, as he even pointed out last week, this is a part of his game that needs some improving. It will the more he reps, but he looked behind Sunday morning and struggled to catch the football at times.
It wasn’t horrible, but I felt like the quarterbacks struggled to consistently hit their targets on the rollout while there were more than one drop that I saw out there and some other balls I felt like receivers could have probably gotten to.
I thought Brandon Turnage looked good in some reps I saw.
it’s the second day in-a-row that we’ve been seeing Tamarion McDonald getting a lot of work and praise at the STAR position.
e.cain

Freshman Dylan Sampson continues to look quick with noticeable burst. He has good hands, too – on the second route, the pass from Hendon Hooker got on him fast, but he kept his concentration and completed the catch after the bobble. The newcomer looks to have natural pass-catching ability.
Fellow freshman Justin Williams-Thomas had the quick second pass bounce off his helmet – it almost certainly would have been a tip-drill interception in a scrimmage/game – and made the catch on the third route but didn’t do so cleanly.
Dixon, who caught just 20 passes in 41 games at Clemson, moves well athletically and looks to have reliable hands as well, though for all of the backs it’s important to remember this was on air with no defense.
It looked like the guys getting reps at Star were Tamarion McDonald, Wesley Walker, Doneiko Slaughter and Romello Edwards. The safety group had Jaylen McCollough, Trevon Flowers, Andre Turrentine, Jourdan Thomas and others.
The most notable thing from offensive line drills was Jackson Lampley working with the first group at left guard in half-line drills. (The right guards and right tackles worked some zone-blocking schemes and the centers were with the left guards and left tackles.) The fourth-year junior mostly works with the second group at right guard when we’ve been out there, but worked alongside Jeremiah Crawford at left tackle.
Even from a distance, freshman wideout Kaleb Webb looks like a promising young prospect with his length and leaping ability.
p.brown

To put things mildly, the running backs had a rough session with an excessive number of drops.
Four quarterbacks repped at the same time, rolling the same direction with four receivers/tight ends running routes. This was a rare area of weakness for Hendon Hooker a season ago and the super senior completed four of his six passes on the drill with both incompletions intended for Jalin Hyatt. Hooker overthrew him on the first deep ball and Hyatt seemed to get crossed up from another ball on the second incompletion over the middle. Hooker’s best throw during the drill came rolling left and finding UCF transfer tight end Charlie Browder down the field.
Byron Young had a lengthy chat with linebackers coach Mike Ekeler while the team stretched Sunday morning. Young’s earned more praise from his teammates than any other player in the first week of fall practice.
Omari Thomas looks good in drills. Tennessee has a number of interior defensive linemen we know can contribute, but who can take another step forward and become a really effective player much like Matthew Butler did a season ago? Thomas has my attention and seems like a guy who could do just that.
r.schumpert

--Injury watch--
Jerome Carvin -- held out for second straight day with minor ankle situation.
Jaylen Wright -- remains limited
Kamal Hadden -- remains sidelined
Christian Charles -- red no contact
Cheyenne Labruzza -- red no contact

Interesting that we're practicing 7 days in the first week.

I originally thought, 25 practices before the season, 23 week days between August 1st and our Game 1 on September 1st, add two Saturday scrimmages and that's the 25.

But I was wrong.

I forgot this key fact: the week before the first game by NCAA definition isn't part of fall camp; it's part of the regular season. So fall camp can run August 1st to and August 24th.

Which means the lads can practice every single day this month. Weekends included!

My bad.

Go Vols!

Interesting that we're practicing 7 days in the first week.

I originally thought, 25 practices before the season, 23 week days between August 1st and our Game 1 on September 1st, add two Saturday scrimmages and that's the 25.

But I was wrong.

The week before the first game doesn't count against us. One week prior to the first game, we're already "in season." The fall camp 25 games all get to fit between 1 August and 24 August.

Which means the lads can practice every single day this month.

My bad.

Go Vols!

There was no practice on Thursday.

Noticed quite a few drops...I'll chop it up to getting back used to full pads.
I noticed Dixson was featured more in these clips.
I would like to see more of Milton, Moore and Jackson

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Id have to shoot myself if I had to listen to 2 hrs of that garbage they usually play. Its the most mundane **** Ive ever heard. Awful.

I love McDonald getting first team reps… he and slaughter looked much more athletic than Theo Jackson last year in their limited playing time… I thought If They could learn from his work ethic then both could be really good… our defense sounds improved at every level so far

I sure hope so. Our secondary was routinely carved up on 3rd downs last year, and we had no clue how to defend a running QB. If those two things can change then we should improve greatly.

VN Store

Back