2022 Fall Practice #3

Fingers

The intensity might have been at its peak over with the offensive line as day three of camp is already showing some aggressiveness throughout competition – especially with Gerald Mincey and RJ Perry this morning. Expect some spirited competition to continue with that group as the left tackle position is completely up for grabs.

Jalin Hyatt looked smooth running various routes during the drill and catching footballs from both Hendon Hooker and Joe Milton – as two quarterbacks went at a time.

Squirrel White – who can do no wrong at the moment – made a really nice adjustment in the back of the end zone on a ball that was thrown severely behind him. He stopped, jumped and completed a near 360 degree grab while keeping his feet in bounds.

Throughout the drill, where the quarterbacks weren’t bad but did miss on some throws (the field shrinks in the red zone), freshman wideout Chas Nimrod was getting some 1-on-1 attention from Kelsey Pope. The coaching staff praised Nimrod in spring for how fast he was coming along, and Tennessee needs options on the outside. Getting one (if not both) of those young guys ready is a priority.

On the injury front, Christian Charles was once again sporting a red, non-contact jersey. He was still going through some indy drills while we were out here, though. Cheyenne Labruzza joined him today with a red jersey while Jaylen Wright continues to work off to the side with a trainer.
e.cain

A regular blocking drill between offensive tackles Gerald Mincey and RJ Perry became much more right after it ended. The two briefly squared up before Mincey took the first swing. Mincey and Perry then exchanged a few swings, both losing their helmets in the process, before teammates and others got involved to separate the two.

Freshman Jayson Jenkins got an earful about not wrapping up a blocking pad at the end of a rep and was told he needed to improve his knee-bend – a challenge for a 6-foot-6 lineman like him. Freshman Tyre West had to redo a drill. Terry was asked in unflattering terms to be more physical.

Jaylen Wright continues to work on the side with the strength-and-conditioning staff, at least after he goes through stretch with the rest of the skill players. Still working his way back but doesn’t look too far away. It’s unclear how soon he might be back to full participation.

The quarterbacks and running backs usually get together for mesh-point work while we are out there, but there were more passes involved on this particular day. First it was swing passes after a play-action on the mesh-point RPO, and Justin Williams-Thomas had a drop. The second phase saw the backs motion quickly from the backfield to the slot and catch an out route in the flat.

Two red non-contact jerseys in the secondary: Cornerback Christian Charles and safety Cheyenne Labruzza.
p.brown

Tennessee’s receivers and quarterbacks worked on red zone route trees today. While there was no live defense, Vols’ managers provided slight defense attempting to throw off the timing of routes.

Despite this, Tennessee’s receivers, tight ends and quarterbacks looked extremely crisp. Two quarterbacks threw passes to both receivers each rep and only one ball from either Hendon Hooker or Joe Milton III hit the ground — a fade route to Jacob Warren.

On the left side, Tennessee’s slot receivers and an outside receiver worked in tandem. Ramel Keyton and Jalin Hyatt were the first group while Walker Merrill and Jimmy Calloway were the second group. Freshmen Kaleb Webb and Squirrel White were the third group.

On the right side, Tennessee’s tight ends lined up in the slot while an outside receiver flanked them. Jacob Warren and Cedric Tillman were the first group while Princeton Fant and Jimmy Holliday were the second group.

Merrill continues to earn a lot of second team work out wide with the strong depth Tennessee has in the slot. Bru McCoy is down the reps chart and is clearly going to have to work his way up the depth chart.

While Jaylen Wright wasn’t in a red no contact jersey, he didn’t participate in the drills. The sophomore worked to the side. Dylan Sampson worked with Joe Milton III behind Jabari Small and Justin Williams-Thomas worked with Tayven Jackson behind both.

Williams-Thomas — who talked about his emphasis on trying to improve as a pass catcher Tuesday — had the only drop of the session.
r.schumpert

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubbs said that Hadden is injured in the two minute drill. They said they didn't know how serious it was, but he did have on a big brace on his elbow yesterday. Apparently wasn't at practice today.

What's the opinion about Tayven Jackson? Arm strength, leadership, athleticism, etc?
My opinion is, he's the 3rd string QB and will likely not play anything more than mop-up duty in maybe a few games this season (barring an emergency) so he can redshirt.

And because of that, what's most important about Tayven's development in 2022, we can't see. It's all happening between his ears, and in his heart.

The visible part, the physical part, don't worry about until next spring when he, Joe, and Nico are competing for the starting job.

Well I guess an arm injury is better than a leg
Unless it’s Inky. That arm injury of his was the worst I’ve ever seen, and, even today, his arm just kind of limply hangs there. I’m kind of surprised with all of the progress in the medical world that something more can’t be done for him. He has the best attitude of anybody that has suffered such a physical trauma.

Hubbs said that Hadden is injured in the two minute drill. They said they didn't know how serious it was, but he did have on a big brace on his elbow yesterday. Apparently wasn't at practice today.

Yeah, I saw that too. And I said out loud, shoo shoo (or something like that). Can’t we get thru a fall camp without losing any starters.
On another subject, the other reporter with Hubbs (I won’t name names) has a big bald spot in the middle of his head and he only looks about 25 years old.
and it made me think about a business opportunity where I can help the follicly challenged and I can make a little money.
you see I come from an Italian background. As you probably know, my people are ape like hairy.
I have so much hair coming out of my ears and nose and on my back that my nickname is Chewbacca.
but I just thought to myself, “hey self, you’ve got way too much hair and some people have way too little, so why don’t I sell them some”.
So, if you need any, please specify how much you need and what length.
For VolNation members only, I will only charge $9.95 per month (on a continuing basis until your death ☠️ of course, as will be stated on your contract). 😱😱😱

Hopefully the fight was just a heated moment due to competitiveness and nothing more.
Mincey is a transfer and the "new guy" looking for Perry's spot. They're just sizing each other up. It's football.

As I recall Juwan Mitchell had words last camp with someone when he transferred in. It's football.

You're going to get tested.

VN Store

Back