2022 Fall Practice #2

Price and Hubbs breaking down day 2. Some really good info in here including what I mentioned about Hadden.

Also mentioned that Squirrel has topped out at practice at 23.6 mph and Dylan Sampson at 22.5. Throw in Cameron Seldon next year and we will have a legit track team on offense in a couple years.

Price and Hubbs breaking down day 2. Some really good info in here including what I mentioned about Hadden.

Also mentioned that Squirrel has topped out at practice at 23.6 mph and Dylan Sampson at 22.5. Throw in Cameron Seldon next year and we will have a legit track team on offense in a couple years.

heard that sampson was fast and also has experience in recieving, now to learn the blocking schemes and he'll be good to go. #24 has been a good number for UT backs over the years.

Squirrel White looks fast, but needs to add a little weight IMHO.

I think the same. Now, at the risk of being drawn and quartered by Vols faithful, I wonder if Squirrel will end up being our Percy Harvin?

And suddenly we have bodies at CB haha.

I was curious as to how they were going to work that. Moving Charles to CB makes too much sense. Even though he looks good a safety.

Charles and Hadden are my picks to start
Turnage will be our STAR, and Walker or Turrentine working at NB.
Rucker will play a lot too.

Need the veterans and the young gunz to provide that spark out at edge. I think they will. This is going to be a fun season.

What do you mean by star vs nickel back? Are you calling the nickel the 6th DB on the field?

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Throw Squirrel in slot. Not much difference in quick & fast. Didn’t know Sampson was that fast. We got any corners that can cover that?

Throw Squirrel in slot. Not much difference in quick & fast. Didn’t know Sampson was that fast. We got any corners that can cover that?
The more I hear about this team the more I am impressed. Speed every where. Hope tOSU corner can make an impact. Heard a lot about him over last 2 days.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
That confused me too. Star and NB are the same position.
Yes...and no.

NB or nickel is officially the 5th DB in the formation. However, this player is traditionally the 3rd best CB. Eric Gordon was that for us back in 2011.

Theo Jackson was nowhere close to being our 3rd best CB, yet he was at STAR. As...the 5th DB or the DB in the box. However, we also played some dime (6 DBs) and he was there at star.

He was basically a LB that could cover and play staunch run support.

Defenses or so exoctic that sometimes term can be different yet interchangeable.

Or, new terms develop that paint a wide brush such as "Edge" or All purpose back for offense.

Yes...and no.

NB or nickel is officially the 5th DB in the formation. However, this player is traditionally the 3rd best CB. Eric Gordon was that for us back in 2011.

Theo Jackson was nowhere close to being our 3rd best CB, yet he was at STAR. As...the 5th DB or the DB in the box. However, we also played some dime (6 DBs) and he was there at star.

He was basically a LB that could cover and play staunch run support.

Defenses or so exoctic that sometimes term can be different yet interchangeable.

Or, new terms develop that paint a wide brush such as "Edge" or All purpose back for offense.
Friend, you're over-complicating something that's really not complicated at all.

"Nickel" is a personnel scheme. It signifies five DBs. In the Nickel scheme, the "star" is the additional DB. Typically he covers the slot receiver (though not always). Again: nickel is the scheme; star is the position. Some folks do say "nickel back"...when they say that, it is completely synonymous with the "star" position.

"Dime" is another personnel scheme. Signifies six DBs. The sixth DB is sometimes called the "money," though "dime back" is also used.

None of this has anything to do with which backs are "first best" or "third best" or anything like that. Backs are chosen and assigned to particular roles because of their particular combination of skill sets. Lots of variables involved, from speed, to quickness, to height, to knowledge of the defense, to knowledge of the opposing team or even specific opposing receivers. There's really no such thing as "best" and "second best" in all that, so much as one fella is better suited to this job, and that one is better suited to that.

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with terminology. The nickel back is the star; the dime back is the money. Simple.

Friend, you're over-complicating something that's really not complicated at all.

"Nickel" is a personnel scheme. It signifies five DBs. In the Nickel scheme, the "star" is the additional DB. Typically he covers the slot receiver (though not always). Again: nickel is the scheme; star is the position. Some folks do say "nickel back"...when they say that, it is completely synonymous with the "star" position.

"Dime" is another personnel scheme. Signifies six DBs. The sixth DB is sometimes called the "money," though "dime back" is also used.

None of this has anything to do with which backs are "first best" or "third best" or anything like that. Backs are chosen and assigned to particular roles because of their particular combination of skill sets. Lots of variables involved, from speed, to quickness, to height, to knowledge of the defense, to knowledge of the opposing team or even specific opposing receivers. There's really no such thing as "best" and "second best" in all that, so much as one fella is better suited to this job, and that one is better suited to that.

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with terminology. The nickel back is the star; the dime back is the money. Simple.

Exactly. The Star/Nickel isn’t the 3rd best Corner. He has to play inside Corner, which is a different skill than outside Corner.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back