2021 Target List

Not sure how you can claim a player projected Top 20 isn’t ready to leave?

I guess it's cause I'm not just making a comparison between their ranking in a draft and how I feel they'll produce in Year 1. The mock draft from The Athletic I linked in another thread talked about how there is a clear Top 4 guys in this draft and then after that it's a bunch of high ceiling guys that need a lot of work. I kind of took that as Sam (the author) saying it's a weaker draft. Sure, Springer might be Top 20 in this list of prospects entering the draft, but do I expect him to be a big contributor from Day 1, which is kind of what you expect from that type of player? Not really.

It's not a knock on Springer, and he definitely should have left for the draft. I'm just not sure he is "ready" like some of the guys in that range from year's past. I'm looking at from more than just "Oh, he's Top 20."

Reactions: walkenvol
I guess it's cause I'm not just making a comparison between their ranking in a draft and how I feel they'll produce in Year 1. The mock draft from The Athletic I linked in another thread talked about how there is a clear Top 4 guys in this draft and then after that it's a bunch of high ceiling guys that need a lot of work. I kind of took that as Sam (the author) saying it's a weaker draft. Sure, Springer might be Top 20 in this list of prospects entering the draft, but do I expect him to be a big contributor from Day 1, which is kind of what you expect from that type of player? Not really.

It's not a knock on Springer, and he definitely should have left for the draft. I'm just not sure he is "ready" like some of the guys in that range from year's past. I'm looking at from more than just "Oh, he's Top 20."
He can improve more in a year at the NBA level than he can in college...if NBA GM’s see him as a Top 20 pick or 1st rounder at all then they see him as ready to be on a NBA roster...every year guys are drafted and stashed or taken with the plan to develop, not every guy is expected to be a major contributor day 1.

I just think claiming Springer isn’t ready for the NBA when NBA people are telling him he’s a 1st round pick id pretty off base.

He can improve more in a year at the NBA level than he can in college...if NBA GM’s see him as a Top 20 pick or 1st rounder at all then they see him as ready to be on a NBA roster...every year guys are drafted and stashed or taken with the plan to develop, not every guy is expected to be a major contributor day 1.

I get that, and again, I'm not saying (and have never said) he should have returned to Tennessee. He made the right choice to go. I know the NBA drafts on potential, I just made an opinionated point on how I feel he's going to do in the NBA next year.

I mean they basically carried the team the last month of the season, but I guess you can keep sticking to whatever narrative fits your opinion
At the beginning of the season, was Barnes letting Keon and Jaden go like he let them at the end of the season? No

Why do you think a Hall of Fame coach would do that?
Certainly couldn't be because they were true freshmen learning the speed of the college game all while basically not having an offseason due to COVID. Couldn't be because that head coach saw they weren't ready to start or be as involved early on as they were allowed to be later.

Certainly couldn't be any of those reasons.

Certainly couldn't be because they were true freshmen learning the speed of the college game all while basically not having an offseason due to COVID. Couldn't be because that head coach saw they weren't ready to start or be as involved early on as they were allowed to be later.

Certainly couldn't be any of those reasons.

Right. We all know 5 stars = instant start from first scrimmages of first season onward and 40 mins per game from the jump. Every Hall of Fame coach does it that way EXCEPT for Barnes. Hard proof he's just faking it and riding this job into a smooth and easy retirement.

No surprise after the coaching changes, but TyTy Washington announced to UK last night

VN Store

Back