2021 Target List

Just a friendly reminder that Rick Barnes doesn’t Over sign much if at all and certainly not by 2 spots.

now back to your regularly scheduled yearly recruiting talk.

Just a friendly reminder that Rick Barnes doesn’t Over sign much if at all and certainly not by 2 spots.

now back to your regularly scheduled yearly recruiting talk.

If all 4 of our priority targets want in (Ingram, Chandler, Banchero, Smith) Barnes will over-sign. This is probably the safest year in recent memory for us to over-sign as well. It seems like a foregone conclusion that at least 1 non-senior currently on the roster won't be here next year. Probably 2.

I don’t remember this being a regularly scheduled discussion at all. At this point, if nothing else, we should all agree Barnes isn’t doing things like he finished them at Texas. And to not over sign makes sense if the guys being recruited are not guaranteed prospects. But given the caliber of players involved and the fact they know defense is a priority, in this scenario it’s stupid to bring up the fact that CRB doesn’t usually over sign guys. Jmo

I don’t remember this being a regularly scheduled discussion at all. At this point, if nothing else, we should all agree Barnes isn’t doing things like he finished them at Texas. And to not over sign makes sense if the guys being recruited are not guaranteed prospects. But given the caliber of players involved and the fact they know defense is a priority, in this scenario it’s stupid to bring up the fact that CRB doesn’t usually over sign guys. Jmo

Especially considering he said himself (possibly was an assistant), that they now look to over sign given attrition.

the first two years there was never a mention of over signing. Just the last few was it mentioned(reportedly by an assistant) and it never got close to being more than 1 over.

Reactions: sport3500
Updated...new offer out and Adams/Butler lff the board...

#2 Paolo Banchero - (6'9" PF)
#4 Jabari Smith - (6'10" PF)
#5 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield** (6'8" PF)
#8 Harrison Ingram (6'6" SF)
#9 Caleb Houstan (6’8” SF)
#10 Kennedy Chandler (6'1" PG)
#11 Hunter Sallis (6'3" Combo G)
#22 Charles Bediako (6'11" C)
#30 Daron Holmes ll (6’8” PF)
#48 Jahmai Mashack (6’4” SG)
#50 Micawber Etienne (6'10" C)
#62 Carter Whitt (6'3" PG)
#86 Ryan Mutombo (6'11" C)

**currently in 2022 class but expected to reclassify to 2021

There’s really nothing new to add on the recruiting front, Tennessee has a firm list of targets that hasn’t changed a great deal other than the recent addition of Jahmai Mashack, the nation’s No.48 ranked player, to the board. He’s from California and has never been to campus, but assistant coach Mike Schwartz, who is from California himself, has some ties here and has done a good job getting Tennessee’s foot in the door and at least getting Mashack to listen to the Vols’ pitch.
-VQ.

Ingram said in his Instagram Live that the hardest school to cut was Tennessee because he said "he felt like they didn't want me as much as I wanted them"
Disappointing for sure. OTOH, I see that comment and can't help but think we must be in really great shape with either or both of Banchero and Smith.

That means he was a fall back then?
Fall back to who, though? Caleb Houstan is the only other SF we are recruiting. I doubt Tennessee likes their position with him enough to pass on Ingram, but I'd love to be wrong there. Maybe the staff feels good enough about Gaines to pursue other positions with that scholarship, but I'd be surprised by that, too. We dont really have any other SF options that will likely be around for the 21-22 season. JJJ, maybe?

Fall back to who, though? Caleb Houstan is the only other SF we are recruiting. I doubt Tennessee likes their position with him enough to pass on Ingram, but I'd love to be wrong there. Maybe the staff feels good enough about Gaines to pursue other positions with that scholarship, but I'd be surprised by that, too. We dont really have any other SF options that will likely be around for the 21-22 season. JJJ, maybe?

Mashack definitely has the size and physicality to play SF. I think Keon could play SF as well as JJJ, or Gaines.

Last edited:
Mashack definitely has the size and physicality to play SF. I think Keon could play SF as well as JJJ, or Gaines.
Mashack is 6-4 and south of 200, so he certainly wouldn't be a traditional SF. Same with KJ, who might be an inch taller. Both could conceivably slide in there, but we'd be going with quite a small ball lineup in that scenario, I'd think.

In before Ziti chimes in with:

Fahr Barnes now. Obviously he’s only here to ride out his time til retirement and isn’t going to make any efforts to be on the road recruiting.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

VN Store

Back