2021 Target List

Feels like an AU/Pearl type player. Hope we can make a good impression. He was on hand in Auburn last week to see us wet the bed, I believe. 😒

He was, I would like to see them start recruiting some other guys harder, but maybe they have a good feel for their position with Banchero/Kennedy. The 4 main names have been Banchero/Smith/Kennedy/Ingram and it would seem at least likely that all 4 go elsewhere...feel like pushing for a guy like Reeves isn’t a bad idea, or John Butler.

He was, I would like to see them start recruiting some other guys harder, but maybe they have a good feel for their position with Banchero/Kennedy. The 4 main names have been Banchero/Smith/Kennedy/Ingram and it would seem at least likely that all 4 go elsewhere...feel like pushing for a guy like Reeves isn’t a bad idea, or John Butler.
Butler makes Kyle Alexander look like Shaquille O’Neal...lol. I like him, but he is a ways off from being a contributor at the major college level. 6-11, 180 lbs. D. Gaines outweighs him and his half a foot shorter.

Do you really believe Gaines weighs over 180?
Not likely, and if somehow he does, it's by a pound or two. The point was made more for effect than dead-on accuracy, and was used to illustrate just how incredibly rail thin John Butler is.

Last edited:

Completely agree with this. It seems like they are putting all of their eggs in that basket. Wouldn't shock me if Chandler committed to Duke in the near future. Definitely would like to see the staff start get more guys on campus. The reality is, a lot of the guys we are chasing will probably be committed by Summer. That's part of the reason that I'm so frustrated about this season. It definitely could have an effect on this recruiting cycle.

Last edited:
Not likely, and if somehow he does, it's by a pound or two. The point was made more for effect that dead-on accuracy, and was used to illustrate just how incredibly rail thin John Butler is.

He is, but given that we will have Plavsic, Walker, ORN, Pember, Gaines I would think a redshirt would be very plausible...I’m a huge fan in basketball of redshirting at least 1 a year, I think it helps develop and balance classes and also makes it more likely for guys to stick around. You never play 13 in basketball, most don’t even need to play 11 in a year, so I’m a big proponent of that strategy.

Reactions: sport3500
Completely agree with this. It seems like they are putting all of their eggs in that basket. Wouldn't shock me if Chandler committed to Duke in the near future. Definitely would like to see the staff start get more guys on campus. The reality is, a lot of the guys we are chasing will probably be committed by Summer. That's part of the reason that I'm so frustrated about this season. It definitely could have an effect on this recruiting cycle.

We will see, definitely don’t need to whiff in recruiting in 2021...it shouldn’t be a huge class so that does help.

Reactions: berryvol
We will see, definitely don’t need to whiff in recruiting in 2021...it shouldn’t be a huge class so that does help.
It could potentially be a pretty large class. It takes a bit of projection, but you know you graduate 3 seniors (Fulk, Johnson, and Pons). Springer could go pro, and you can safely assume 1 potential transfer. With that said, Johnson could transfer this year and reduce that number by one unless they replace him with a grad transfer with one year of eligibility. The 2021 class could have 3-5 spots in it, so like you said, we can’t just whiff.

Man, all 4 of those kids are the kind of players that UT rarely ever gets. Yes, Barnes and company pulled 3 kids close to that level in '20, but these 4, the Vols are recruiting in '21 are another step up. Ingram-60%, Chandler-40%, Smith-20%, Paolo-13% chance for the Vols. If Paolo or Chandler commit to UT, the other kid's percentage goes 25%, imo. I think UT, at the least gets Harrison Ingram because of the legacy thing. I know that doesn't always works out, but this time with the way he fits with Barnes program, it will. I think Smith would be a good fit, considering the current weakness for this UT team, rebounding. Smith seems more like a true PF than Paolo, but we couldn't go wrong either way. The future looks bright, hopefully this bump in the road, this year, won't hurt us.
Generally agree with this. A good season, coupled with either Keon or Springer coming back could also help in landing a big fish in 21. The next few years should be fun.

It could potentially be a pretty large class. It takes a bit of projection, but you know you graduate 3 seniors (Fulk, Johnson, and Pons). Springer could go pro, and you can safely assume 1 potential transfer. With that said, Johnson could transfer this year and reduce that number by one unless they replace him with a grad transfer with one year of eligibility. The 2021 class could have 3-5 spots in it, so like you said, we can’t just whiff.
I may be in the minority here, but I really hope Johnson stays. He has been very sharp on defense this year and could add to our depth and snag a few minutes a game next season. At the very least he would be great at physically pushing the young guys in practice.

Could be just 2 if Johnson this year is filled with an underclassmen and there’s no attrition...hard to project guys leaving for NBA, definitely possible, same for attrition. I would at this point be trying to sign at least 3 in the fall, but that could change come summer.

Reactions: sport3500
As far as one and done players are concerned, the player has to have a great season or a skill set that would give him x number of successful moves in the pros against elite competition.

Tobias Harris is a prime example of that and I think Johnson and Springer both stay at least 2 years at Tennessee.

James will improve vastly this offseason and I think one of the walk ons leaves the program after this season to open up another roster spot.

I may be in the minority here, but I really hope Johnson stays. He has been very sharp on defense this year and could add to our depth and snag a few minutes a game next season. At the very least he would be great at physically pushing the young guys in practice.
I don't dislike JJ, but I would trade him for another true 4 or 5 man in an instant. His position will be flush with talent next year.

I hope that he'll stay. Never hurts to have somebody other than Fulkerson around that's been in the system for 5 years.

Had a chance to catch up with five star Jabari Smith, the No. 5 player in 2021 after he wrapped up his official visit today. Nothing earth shattering as it’s early and he isn’t going to be making a decision anytime soon but he had a great trip. He was raving about the arena and the atmosphere at the game yesterday. Really liked the coaching staff and the culture around the team. Liked what he heard from Rick about how they would use him in the system.
Like pretty much every recruit we speak with he mentioned how impressed he and his father were with player development. Mentioned that he would almost certainly be back next fall for another official visit. Would expect the Vols to be major players in this one.
-Rob Lewis

RL when asked: With Jabari being an LSU legacy, do you get the impression that we’d have to swim in those waters to get him?
He didn’t mention them as one of the schools he’s hearing from the most. Doesn’t have a list of favorites or anything right now but said Tennessee, Auburn, UGA and Georgia Tech are the four he hears the most from now. Obviously that could change in a hurry but right now doesn’t seem like the legacy factor is a huge deal

“It was really cool. I liked their playing style. The coaching staff is really cool and I liked being around the team, they all seem like really cool guys,” Smith said after his trip. “There’s a real family feel around the program, everyone seems really close. The players do a lot together, it seems like they’re always together. The coaches are really hands on with the kids and they can just talk to people all day. I really like the staff and they’re headed in the right direction.”
Smith got to see what Thompson-Boling Arena can be like for big games when it’s filled and the Vols are giving fans something to cheer about. “The environment was great. The arena is huge, it’s like an NBA arena and it was definitely filled, it sure wasn’t empty. It was a really good atmosphere, a big rivalry game, I enjoyed it,” he said. “Coach Barnes coached Kevin Durant, and my game isn’t like Kevin Durant’s yet, but I’d like for it to be. My game is kind of like his and Coach Barnes was telling me how used him and showcased his talent in different ways,” Smith said.
So far he’s visited the Vols along with Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn and Alabama. “That’s really the the main four right now. I’ve been to Alabama recently but they haven’t really been in that much contact with me since then. It’s basically those four right now. I don’t have a top four or anything but those are the people that are on me the hardest right now. Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn and Tennessee,” he said of his recruitment.
-VQ

Very odd recruitment for a Top 5 prospect, no blue bloods...have to like our chances against Georgia and GT, sounds like an Auburn/Tennessee battle as of today.

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
Very odd recruitment for a Top 5 prospect, no blue bloods...have to like our chances against Georgia and GT, sounds like an Auburn/Tennessee battle as of today.

I know it's been mentioned that he's a possible re-class candidate. Hopefully that's the case and blue bloods don't have a ton of time to get involved. Although, that would also mean we would have to have a spot opened up by then.

I know it's been mentioned that he's a possible re-class candidate. Hopefully that's the case and blue bloods don't have a ton of time to get involved. Although, that would also mean we would have to have a spot opened up by then.
I haven’t seen anything mentioning him and reclassifying

VN Store

Back