2021 Target List

“We probably hear from South Carolina the most out of all the schools. They’re really involved,” said John Butler Jr., his father and high school coach. “When I talk to them about John is about fit. He’s really a different kind of player. He’s not your normal, cookie cutter player. One of the biggest things I talk to coaches about and I talk to John about is about going to the school that fits who he is because he is different. A lot of coaches haven’t coached guys like John.” Butler Sr. said the Gamecocks are showing interest along with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Vanderbilt. He said the assistant they talk with the most out of anyone is Perry Clark, who reaches out about once a week to check in and continue building a relationship with the Butler family.
Butler spent last AAU season playing on Nike’s EYBL circuit, playing in the age group above his against some of the best competition in the country. This season he was supposed to play with his age group on the EYBL circuit and begin narrowing his list down toward the end of summer before making a decision right at the start of his senior season, signing in the early period. “We haven’t been on any official visits. This was a special time for these kids for them to be able to enjoy the process, to visit schools and see more than just teams. They like to see the academic buildings and learn about other things that are important,” Butler Sr. said. “John’s a student. He really is a student athlete. Where he goes to college, he wants to be a good student. Those things matter. He hasn’t’ even gotten a chance to go on an official visit. To try and hasten the process, I think would be a bad mistake.”
This year he averaged 17.8 points per game, 8 rebounds, 1.2 assists and shot 50 percent from the field. “I think he had a really, really good junior year. He’s very instrumental to our success as a program. We went 24-2 this year and sometimes I was talking to a coach and sometimes you look at numbers and stats it’s like, ‘OK, you had a similar year to his tenth grade year,’ but I was telling a coach he didn’t play in the fourth quarter of 75 percent of our games. That’ll impact some of his numbers, but he had a really good year. His leadership was probably the biggest thing that took off this year. he took more of a leadership role. We only had one senior this year so he stepped up as one of our captains this year. He took it a little more serious and made sure his teammates took it a little more serious.”
-Rivals
Both parents went to USCe and woul like to major in engineering.

We are hearing rumblings that prime 2022 target Brandon Huntley-Hatfield is moving closer towards reclassifying into the 2021 class. Currently the No. 6 ranked player in 2022 Huntley is originally from Clarkesville, Tn. and attended IMG Academy last year where he was a teammate of Jaden Springer. If he does make the move, which seems likely, that will give Tennessee five five-stars who are legitimate targets for the Vols in the upcoming class.
Plenty of people have assumed that Huntley-Hatfield, who plays for Bobby Maze’s UnderArmour travel team, is Kentucky bound, and they may end up being the case, but Tennessee is in there swinging and will be a factor.
-vq

Curious to see if the staff brings in Chandler, Banchero and Smith together on their OV’s...obviously Chandler & Banchero have talked about playing together, but Chandler has also mentioned teaming up with Jabari Smith. Tennessee obviously the only current school connected to all 3, something worth watching.

Updated with Patterson to Nova...

#3 Paolo Banchero - (6'9" PF)
#4 Chet Holmgren - (7'0" C)
#5 Jabari Smith - (6'10" PF)
#7 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield* (6'8" PF)
#9 Harrison Ingram (6'6" SF)
#10 Kennedy Chandler (6'1" PG)
#11 Hunter Sallis (6'3" Combo G)
#22 Charles Bediako (6'11" C)
#51 Micawber Etienne (6'10" C)
#63 Carter Whitt (6'3" PG)
#64 John Butler (6'11" C)
#86 KJ Adams (6'7" PF)
#89 Ryan Mutombo (6'11" C)
NR Gabe Dorsey (6'6" SG)

247 updated rankings today...

#4 Paolo Banchero - (6'9" PF)
#2 Chet Holmgren - (7'0" C)
#18 Harrison Ingram (6'6" SF)
#19 Kennedy Chandler (6'1" PG)
#23 Charles Bediako (6'11" C)
#25 Hunter Sallis (6'3" Combo G)
#36 Ryan Mutombo (6'11" C)
#54 Micawber Etienne (6'10" C)
#79 John Butler (6'11" C)
#81 Carter Whitt (6'3" PG)
#95 KJ Adams (6'7" PF)
NR Gabe Dorsey (6'6" SG)

247 updated rankings today...

#4 Paolo Banchero - (6'9" PF)
#2 Chet Holmgren - (7'0" C)
#18 Harrison Ingram (6'6" SF)
#19 Kennedy Chandler (6'1" PG)
#23 Charles Bediako (6'11" C)
#25 Hunter Sallis (6'3" Combo G)
#36 Ryan Mutombo (6'11" C)
#54 Micawber Etienne (6'10" C)
#79 John Butler (6'11" C)
#81 Carter Whitt (6'3" PG)
#95 KJ Adams (6'7" PF)
NR Gabe Dorsey (6'6" SG)

What's up with Holmgren? I haven't heard much from/ about him recently. Do we have a legit shot?

Dead period extended through August 31st, some chatter it could go even longer...if that happens you are going to see fall official visits taken off the table which means lots of kids are going to commit based off their current information. IMO that wouldn’t be a bad thing for Tennessee.
I think I agree if they are determined to sign early, but playing devil's advocate, what stops the elite kids (Chandler, Smith, Ingram, Banchero, Bediako, etc.) from just waiting until spring to see what happens?

I think I agree if they are determined to sign early, but playing devil's advocate, what stops the elite kids (Chandler, Smith, Ingram, Banchero, Bediako, etc.) from just waiting until spring to see what happens?
Nothing at all, but much like we’ve seen an increase in early commits in football I think it will happen in basketball too.

Doesn't that help us, considering our top 3 targets, Chandler, Banchero and Smith, all visited UT, on the same weekend last year ?

Edit: or am I thinking of Springer, Keon and Walker ?

Doesn't that help us, considering our top 3 targets, Chandler, Banchero and Smith, all visited UT, on the same weekend last year ?

Edit: or am I thinking of Springer, Keon and Walker ?
Chandler and Banchero visited officially, together. Smith visited officially, but separate of the other two.

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back