2021 Predictions: Defensive Line

Give me a f-ing break with the fan purity BS. There are no “air quote” fans left at this point. After 15 years of absolute incompetence the Vol fans remaining are committed (or perhaps should be!😎).

We are about to run a very fast paced offense with a depleted DL and Lb rotation. You be Pollyanna if you wish, but I’m going to close my eyes, brace for impact and not expect much this season. Doesn't mean a damn thing about my “faithfulness”. GOT IT?
All the defense has to do, is stop them one more time than they stop us from scoring. You're right, it won't be pretty. We can win ugly though. And I don't expect much more than last year. I do think the dline will be ok. I like seeing Blakely's name pop up. He came on late in the season, and I only recall him running a 3rd down stunt from the DT spot last year. Hopefully he takes the next step. Garner talks alot about the Young kid as well. If we can get solid play from the DT's this year we should be capable.

All the defense has to do, is stop them one more time than they stop us from scoring. You're right, it won't be pretty. We can win ugly though. And I don't expect much more than last year. I do think the dline will be ok. I like seeing Blakely's name pop up. He came on late in the season, and I only recall him running a 3rd down stunt from the DT spot last year. Hopefully he takes the next step. Garner talks alot about the Young kid as well. If we can get solid play from the DT's this year we should be capable.
We’re gonna give up a lot of yards, no question about it. We’re gonna have to be the ultimate bend don’t break group. Our red zone D will be critical to our season more so than usual because like you said, we’re gonna have to out score teams. I don’t care if we’re giving up 450+ Yards a game as long they’re kicking more fgs than scoring TD’s. It sounds so simplistic, but red zone D scoring % will be the key to a relatively successful season.

I’m actually higher on the DL group than most.

Are you sure about that?

I count only 13 DL on the roster*, and 3 of those** are walk-ons with no college experience. So really 10 game-ready players.

With 4 on the field at any given time, and frequent rotation (DL is probably the most frequently-rotated position on the field, alongside RB), I'm thinking we need at least 12. And that's without suffering any injuries. We need 12+, we have 10. That's not even three-deep, more like 2.5-deep.

It doesn't seem to me like depth is no issue. Seems to me like it might be a very big issue at this position. What am I missing?

Note: this doesn't even add the level of granularity where we split them out DT and DE; we may have more depth issues in one position or the other if we add that level of detail....

* Blakely, Bumphus, Butler, Middleton, Solomon, Garland, Emerson, Simmons, Thomas, Bailey, Jones, Washington, and Green.
** Jones, Washington, and Green.

Depth Chart of scholarship and NON suspended players going to 2021-
WDE- T Barron 6'5 260, B Eason 6'2 265. B Young 6'4 245
DT- Emerson, Garland, Thomas (4*)
DT, Solomon, Simmons, Bailey (4*) , Evans (4*)
SDE, Butler, Bumphus, Middleton, Blakely

Middleton should see time at DE and DT

Rodney Garner has a lot to work with. This is the least concerning unit on the roster.

We’re gonna give up a lot of yards, no question about it. We’re gonna have to be the ultimate bend don’t break group. Our red zone D will be critical to our season more so than usual because like you said, we’re gonna have to out score teams. I don’t care if we’re giving up 450+ Yards a game as long they’re kicking more fgs than scoring TD’s. It sounds so simplistic, but red zone D scoring % will be the key to a relatively successful season.

I’m actually higher on the DL group than most.
Did you see Garner coaching at the open practice last weekend? Remember how 2 years ago Rock took some no names and turned them into a really solid unit? It's almost the same guys on the roster minus DT and add some young guys like Barron.

Rodney Garner has a lot to work with. This is the least concerning unit on the roster.
I actually think that is RB

Reactions: LittleVol
Not many are willing to go on record in public over unchartered waters with a prediction.
Here are mine for the Defensive Line:

*More sacks
*More Quarterback Hurries
*More Pass Breakups
*More Tackles for Loss
than last season.

This is Matthew Butler's season.
I am going to agree... but say that they'll also give up more big plays. Heupel's mantra is "aggression". That means risks. That gives you big plays... and gives some to the opponent too.

Did you see Garner coaching at the open practice last weekend? Remember how 2 years ago Rock took some no names and turned them into a really solid unit? It's almost the same guys on the roster minus DT and add some young guys like Barron.
I haven’t seen a lot of it yet, but I’ll check it out. I feel like I’m a little more optimistic than most headed into this season. I see 7-5. I’m not buying what some are selling with these 4-8 or worse talk.

Reactions: jarnol32
I think the vols are going to have a season similar in numbers to Dooley's last season. They will have an offense that is capable of producing lots of a points, and a defense that gives up even more. Without a game changer on the D-line and the overall lack of line backers the defense this coming season will be as putrid as Sunseri's defense was. Brace yourselves, it will be ugly.
We do have some young talent on defense. Katron evans and Omari Thomas come to mind. Morven Joseph looks like he will be a solid pass rusher. Not saying it will be great, but sometimes guys step up during the season. Here’s to hoping

I am going to agree... but say that they'll also give up more big plays. Heupel's mantra is "aggression". That means risks. That gives you big plays... and gives some to the opponent too.
We’ll have to get used to giving up big plays. 😏

Thanks! That helps a lot.

Not many are willing to go on record in public over unchartered waters with a prediction.

*More sacks
*More Pass Breakups
*More Tackles for Loss
than last season.

Seems like this thread should be more *expectations lol

Expect our front seven to be horrendous we have no depth and with this fast paced offense it’ll be quick 3 and outs or quick scores and that’s scary with our lack of depth

LB depth will be a concern but DL Depth is outstanding

Essentially the same DL as 2019.

In 2019 they were very good.
In 2020 they were awful due in part to micromanagement of position coach and firing of DL coach early in season. Clearly one of the biggest position group disappointments last season along with OL.
I expect the DL to be a leader this year on defense.
We have an upgrade at HC and a super duper upgrade for DL Coach who will get far more out of the players.

Both OL and DL will be better due to scheming alone. Now throw in better coaching and buy-in from the players, and our largest concern (culture) will be much improved! This will translate into success. Will we be the ‘85 Bears? No. But we might surprise a few folks...including our own fans. 6 wins probable, 7 wins possible, 8 wins and Josh Heupel has outdone himself and deserves a pay raise! GBO!

I agree on 2 points. The first is they will play more snaps due to the offensive tempo, so they will have more snaps to build on the stats. The second is Garner is a much better DL coach then these guys have had and is teaching to attack more. They will be much more attacking instead of playing off the ball. I am optimistic they will be better against the pass, but worse on run defense unless we shore up the ILB position.

How many LBs did we lose, four? Five?

I actually think that is RB
I would almost incline to agree. Almost.
Beckwith imo will be offensive mvp of the spring.
Wright came ready to contribute. Evans has been dinged but, he looks good in drills.
And then Tee Hodge- not fast, but clean pass catcher out of the backfield. Runs strong between the tackles. He will play this year, and help keep the offense on the field.

I would almost incline to agree. Almost.
Beckwith imo will be offensive mvp of the spring.
Wright came ready to contribute. Evans has been dinged but, he looks good in drills.
And then Tee Hodge- not fast, but clean pass catcher out of the backfield. Runs strong between the tackles. He will play this year, and help keep the offense on the field.
I am also not super worried about DL as we have plenty of bodies there to be adequate, but I 'm not sure how much elite talent we have there.
Certainly more worried about LB and CB though.

*More sacks
*More Pass Breakups
*More Tackles for Loss
than last season.

Is that a high bar? Asking for a fiend.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I'm really a big fan of and pulling for the youngster out of Nashville, Simmons. His biggest problem has been conditioning and I'm hoping beyond hope it all begins to come together for him this year. Go 51 and GBO!!!

Expect our front seven to be horrendous we have no depth and with this fast paced offense it’ll be quick 3 and outs or quick scores and that’s scary with our lack of depth

My thinking, too. Returns from the first practices are not flattering for the entire defense. We may have to simply win some high-scoring shootouts by scoring more points than the other team. And the defense may have to play every available player every game the entire season...just to survive that seismic change in strategy. That might create some depth for next year. It could get ugly this fall. But...it’s early and it’s only spring.

This sums it up very well. Thank you.

VN Store

Back