2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

I hear ya I am not saying she will be a superstar but i think Wynn will be a baller and have an impact... she seems to be working a lot on her game and seems a bit more silky smooth.

I see Puckett as more of a Sydney Spencer type player but i could be wrong ...

I think Kellie will dip into the transfer portal as well to put her team in the best position or create more options I also think she will go after what her team needs.

Like you’ve said before let the dream rise to the top...
bingo

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I hear ya I am not saying she will be a superstar but i think Wynn will be a baller and have an impact... she seems to be working a lot on her game and seems a bit more silky smooth.

I think Kellie will dip into the transfer portal as well to put her team in the best position or create more options I also think she will go after what her team needs.

SIDNEY^

Yup...I'm a big fan of letting them settle on the court who deserves the minutes.

I'm interested to see where they put Puckett. I thought she was a bit slight to be a Spencer type player. Seems faster than Spencer, and probably can't guard the 5 like Sidney could. She seems like a prototypical 3 with some stretch 4 as her backup...not the other way around. We'll see when she gets on campus.

Transfer portal will be a clusterfvck. Has the real potential for a free for all with all of the shady games coaching staff will play during the course of the season.

Yup...I'm a big fan of letting them settle on the court who deserves the minutes.

I'm interested to see where they put Puckett. I thought she was a bit slight to be a Spencer type player. Seems faster than Spencer, and probably can't guard the 5 like Sidney could. She seems like a prototypical 3 with some stretch 4 as her backup...not the other way around. We'll see when she gets on campus.

Transfer portal will be a clusterfvck. Has the real potential for a free for all with all of the shady games coaching staff will play during the course of the season.

Why the comparison to Spencer, who I recall as being a middling SEC player on a good team?

Why the comparison to Spencer, who I recall as being a middling SEC player on a good team?
Bit harsh on Spencer. She was a key part of their NC run in 2007, was a WNBA starter who averaged nearly 10 ppg as a rookie, made the All-Rookie team and I believe that she finished 2nd in voting for WNBA ROY. If Puckett ends up as good as her, that would be a bonus.

Bit harsh on Spencer. She was a key part of their NC run in 2007, was a WNBA starter who averaged nearly 10 ppg as a rookie, made the All-Rookie team and I believe that she finished 2nd in voting for WNBA ROY. If Puckett ends up as good as her, that would be a bonus.
I’d only add that it wasn’t until her junior year where she became a key part of the team.

I hope the fans here give Puckett the time to become as good a player that Spencer ended up being.

Methinks your recall is somewhat faulty! Sid, although renowned for being in her own zone frequently, was a "middling" player when she first arrived, but developed into one of the stronger post defenders and a consistent offensive player becoming the second-leading scorer on the team her senior year, behind only Candace Parker.
If Sara Puckett develops along the lines of Sidney Spencer, this Lady Vol fan would be very happy.

Jim

I’d only add that it wasn’t until her junior year where she became a key part of the team.

I hope the fans here give Puckett the time to become as good a player that Spencer ended up being.
She was one of the first players off the bench as a FR/SO, and averaged just under 6 pts 5 rbs...which is pretty darn good for a reserve.

Also Sid was 6-4 and could shoot over smaller players or players who had no leaping availability. Now looking at Puckett 6-2 i think will play more on the outside shooting the 3 ball.

Also Sid was 6-4 and could shoot over smaller players or players who had no leaping availability. Now looking at Puckett 6-2 i think will play more on the outside shooting the 3 ball.
Spencer was great because she could defend the 4/5 on defense, and play on the wing on offense. She saved a lot of wear and tear on Parker by her not having to constantly battle opposing bigs on the defensive end.

I don't think Puckett has the size to do what Spencer did (Striplin is probably a closer fit to Spencer in style of play and versatility between offense and defense); she's probably closer in style of play to Katie Lou Samuelson or Ann Strother from UConn.

Spencer was great because she could defend the 4/5 on defense, and play on the wing on offense. She saved a lot of wear and tear on Parker by her not having to constantly battle opposing bigs on the defensive end.

I don't think Puckett has the size to do what Spencer did (Striplin is probably a closer fit to Spencer in style of play and versatility between offense and defense); she's probably closer in style of play to Katie Lou Samuelson or Ann Strother from UConn.

See I think Justine Pissott plays like Katie Lou Samuelson but puts it on the floor seemingly much earlier in her career that Katie Lou did.

Ok, she was solid and versatile by her JR year. That’s fair but that certainly doesn’t make her great as one poster wrote. I never claimed she was bad. By middling, I mean average SEC starter which on last years TN team might have been our second best player.

This thread is projecting five years out, I hope to live that long. However it brings up a question that I once asked PHS. "which player progressed the most from freshman to senior?"

She responded Holdsclaw!

I'll slightly change the question to include the word "middling" Which LV middling player improved the most from freshman to senior in your opinion?"

I agree with you 100%

Didn't Spencer have an ACL injury as a sophomore? She came in the class with Dom Redding and was getting good playing time early on.

Didn't Spencer have an ACL injury as a sophomore? She came in the class with Dom Redding and was getting good playing time early on.
I can’t even remember what I had for breakfast.
However she did only play 25 games that year so maybe she did have an ACL injury late in the season.
On edit - she had ACL surgery in late March of her sophomore year. Good memory on your part.

I think your comp to Spani was appropriate, with Striplin closer to Spencer. Both can shoot, but will have difficulty creating their shot at this level...

I think your comp to Spani was appropriate, with Striplin closer to Spencer. Both can shoot, but will have difficulty creating their shot at this level...
I loved Taber Spani! She wasn't the go-to player, but she was the kind of player that could really hurt you if you lose sight of her. If Puckett is surrounded by the right complement of guards, she could easily play the role of a sniper while defenses are preoccupied with the players that can create their own shot.

I've seen both Spencer and Striplin in person,,,they're not even close to each other in "game"
Striplin is a solid low post rebounder who can score low or high and Puckett is pure athlete...Spencer could fly down the floor

Puckett is much closer to Spencer's game

Last edited:
I've seen both Spencer and Striplin in person,,,they're not even close to each other in "game"
Striplin is a solid low post rebounder who can score low or high and Puckett is pure athlete...Spencer could fly down the floor

Puckett is much closer to Spencer's game

His ignorance shows daily. He does it on purpose . Most of us are over it . I continue to read it , because it’s done on purpose and humorous at this point . I’m excited about this class and I’m glad Kellie is actually getting basketball players with high IQs rather then athletes who can run up and down the floor and that’s about it. Plus we have a coach who can actually coach . I’m ready for this season to begin.

Last edited:
Spencer was a totally different player as a junior and senior as she was the first couple seasons. She really put in the work and because a terrific player. I'm sure UConn remembers her well she hit some huge threes against them that led to Lady Vol wins. She not only became a top offensive threat for the Lady Vols she also became a lock down defender.

VN Store

Back