2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

I don't put a lot of faith in high school player characterizations like elite. I don't think the competition is good enough consistently to be really accurate. Is Teonni really, really good? Absolutely. Will she turn into an elite player? Depends on how much effort she has and how well she is coached up. As for the current recruit class, these are some great players. Kellie is not done and she is going to land at least two more all-stars.....wait and see.

Agreed. The wheat is separated from the chaff at the next level. Elite players show themselves in college by improving on what they did in HS.

Rivers and Rennia would have bumped heads

Yes she was the elite athlete in 2021
But I fear it would not have been a good fit, which is equally important

I don't think it was Coach K's inability to land her, I think Coach K saw other needs as more important

I think we need "2" bigs,, from which I personally put in this order:
  1. Hollinshead is a pure low-post, shot-blocker, scores in a variety of ways both facing and back to the basket
  2. Key is a Stretch forward who is athletic enough to drive on anyone and a defensive terror to matchup with
  3. Dauda is a back to the basket low post that is also a very gifted athlete
  4. Puckett is a catch and shoot forward (we have those types of players)
I see room for "1"guard and am leaning towards this order:
  1. Miles is a pure speed-guard with an excellent crossover and can matchup with the mighty-mites of the SEC
  2. Wiggins is a 6' guard that can play combo guard and can jump over anyone and finishes at the rim strong
  3. Bree Hall is quick off the dribble, drives and makes plays in traffic and has a mid-range game
  4. Shavers is a hard driving guard with a scorers mentality.

Thanks to you and others for the thoughts. I get building out the roster around needs. Usually it takes a top three type player to win championships. And for those that question what is elite, I’d suggest that is about top ten average ranking given the excellent visibility top kids get today. I’m just trying to gauge the confidence she, and this staff who haven’t done it before, can land that kind of player. And, do so quickly since it’s getting to be a long time since we were nationally relevant. It will only get harder.

Thanks to you and others for the thoughts. I get building out the roster around needs. Usually it takes a top three type player to win championships. And for those that question what is elite, I’d suggest that is about top ten average ranking given the excellent visibility top kids get today. I’m just trying to gauge the confidence she, and this staff who haven’t done it before, can land that kind of player. And, do so quickly since it’s getting to be a long time since we were nationally relevant. It will only get harder.

I honestly like the way we're going...this year's team is much more offensively minded and if we get Miles/Wiggins, Key and Hollinshead/Dauda/Puckett along with Striplin and Wynn,,, I will be thrilled with where we are going.
We already have one of the top 3 players in the SEC with Rennia, so lets let her go off this season and grab a top 3'er next year

I have to ask....is your last name per chance "van winkle"

Rivers and Rennia would have bumped heads

Yes she was the elite athlete in 2021
But I fear it would not have been a good fit, which is equally important

I don't think it was Coach K's inability to land her, I think Coach K saw other needs as more important

I think we need "2" bigs,, from which I personally put in this order:
  1. Hollinshead is a pure low-post, shot-blocker, scores in a variety of ways both facing and back to the basket
  2. Key is a Stretch forward who is athletic enough to drive on anyone and a defensive terror to matchup with
  3. Dauda is a back to the basket low post that is also a very gifted athlete
  4. Puckett is a catch and shoot forward (we have those types of players)
I see room for "1"guard and am leaning towards this order:
  1. Miles is a pure speed-guard with an excellent crossover and can matchup with the mighty-mites of the SEC
  2. Wiggins is a 6' guard that can play combo guard and can jump over anyone and finishes at the rim strong
  3. Bree Hall is quick off the dribble, drives and makes plays in traffic and has a mid-range game
  4. Shavers is a hard driving guard with a scorers mentality.

Did you mean Horston? Re will be gone by the time Rivers gets to college. However, If Re were still at UT in 2021 I think her and Rivers would actually pair well with an experienced Horston. Maybe she doesnt fit well into Kellie's system, IDK, but for a talent like Rivers you make them fit into your system. Or tweak your system. The girl is a baller. Kind of reminds me of Jordan. I probably would've been a little more worried if Rivers committed to SC before Wynn committed lol. Rivers is a good talent, but we still have a chance to have a good recruiting class. I agree with most of everything else above. Would love to add any three of Key, Miles, Hollingshead or Puckett (in that order). I think Miles will be next to commit. I really hope we land Key. A class of four (including Key) should be top 10 at least. Any 5 would be icing on the cake and should be a top 5 class.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Teonni Key with her size and ability will be a tough check anyone,

How’s her HS competition level? She puts up some SICK numbers and had multiple 20pts and 20rb games. I know she gets good comp with AAU but I haven’t seen what option she is on that team. I wish she could have played this summer and taken on more of a front and center role and got some more work in especially coming off of injury.

We also saw who coached them

Yep, but my point is going after just ratings got us a 2016 situation and a mix of players that didn’t gel. That has a lot to do with coaching HOWEVER a coach also has to know what mix is good for their team. Those things can be determined a lot of times by doing the ground work and really knowing your targets.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
I honestly like the way we're going...this year's team is much more offensively minded and if we get Miles/Wiggins, Key and Hollinshead/Dauda/Puckett along with Striplin and Wynn,,, I will be thrilled with where we are going.
We already have one of the top 3 players in the SEC with Rennia, so lets let her go off this season and grab a top 3'er next year

I have to ask....is your last name per chance "van winkle"

I don’t understand your question.

Who do you expect to play most at the 1 and 5 this year?

Did you mean Horston? Re will be gone by the time Rivers gets to college. However, If Re were still at UT in 2021 I think her and Rivers would actually pair well with an experienced Horston. Maybe she doesnt fit well into Kellie's system, IDK, but for a talent like Rivers you make them fit into your system. Or tweak your system. The girl is a baller. Kind of reminds me of Jordan. I probably would've been a little more worried if Rivers committed to SC before Wynn committed lol. Rivers is a good talent, but we still have a chance to have a good recruiting class. I agree with most of everything else above. Would love to add any three of Key, Miles, Hollingshead or Puckett (in that order). I think Miles will be next to commit. I really hope we land Key. A class of four (including Key) should be top 10 at least. Any 5 would be icing on the cake and should be a top 5 class.

We were brutal at 5. We need a plus player not bodies though.

Rivers was a very long shot, I knew this a while back.
You don't put a lot of your time in long shots or you go broke waiting on the payoff

See!?

tenor.gif

Just knock it off. People are upset enough with losing Rivers to South Carolina without you putting it in our face on our recruiting thread.
Let him go Rickster, otherwise he gets to be successful in hijacking this thread

Taking a walkaway before I let someone goad me into anything,,,Cya

VN Store

Back