2021 Countdown to Bowling Green

what+the+hell+we+gon+do+now.gif

Tuesday, March 2.

Day 188

The 1982 Season represented year 188 for the University of Tennessee, founded as Blount College in 1794.

The 1982 football season was a roller coaster for J.T. Majors and the Vols who ended with a 6-5 record.

The highlight of the year, though, was that memorable victory over "Bear" Bryant and Alabama 35-28 in Knoxville snapping an 11-year losing streak to the Tide.

majors and bryant.jpg

Last edited:
Day 186

On October 8, 1932, the Tennessee Volunteers notched Victory Number 186 with a 20-7 win over the North Carolina Tarheels.

The Vols finished as Southern Conference Champions and one of the leaders for the Vol offense was halfback Beattie "Big Chief" Feathers.
Feathers scored the Vols lone touchdown in Tennessee's 7-3 victory over Alabama on a rain-soaked Legion Field in Birmingham

Tennessee would begin play in the newly-formed Southeastern Conference the next year. Feathers would be named a consensus All-American and SEC Player of the Year in the inaugural season for the new conference.

Beattie Feathers (University of Tennessee)

beattie feathers.jpg

Day 185

In 1988 Thomas "TD" Woods returned 18 punts for 185 yards - not too shabby in a down year!

He also led the Vols in receptions in 1987 (26/335 yds), 1988 (58/689 yds) and 1989 (34/511 yds.)

TD Woods is currently Wide Receivers coach for the Eastern Illinois Panthers.

td woods.jpg

Day 186

On October 8, 1932, the Tennessee Volunteers notched Victory Number 186 with a 20-7 win over the North Carolina Tarheels.

The Vols finished as Southern Conference Champions and one of the leaders for the Vol offense was halfback Beattie "Big Chief" Feathers.
Feathers scored the Vols lone touchdown in Tennessee's 7-3 victory over Alabama on a rain-soaked Legion Field in Birmingham

Tennessee would begin play in the newly-formed Southeastern Conference the next year. Feathers would be named a consensus All-American and SEC Player of the Year in the inaugural season for the new conference.

Beattie Feathers (University of Tennessee)

View attachment 355661
Carolina seems like it should be a natural rivalry, wonder why we never play.

Day 184

Long time followers of my "vs The Maxims" threads will know that one of my all-time favorite Vols is fullback William Howard who once memorably lowered his head and ran over two Auburn linebackers AFTER having his helmet ripped off at the line of scrimmage.

In the midst of an otherwise disappointing 27-23 loss by the #8 ranked Vols to Mississippi State (UNIVERSITY, SIR! HOME OF THE ALLUSTROUS BULLDAWGS! GRRRR!)* on Sept. 13, 1986 in Knoxville, Howard rushed for 184 yards.

Howard would go on to set an NCAA record for most consecutive rushes with 16 against Ole Miss later that year.

Howard was drafted by the Tampa Bay Bucs and played two seasons.

William Howard on his way to 184 yards vs MSU

william howard vs msu.jpg

*Classical reference: Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Mississippi State

Day 184

Long time followers of my "vs The Maxims" threads will know that one of my all-time favorite Vols is fullback William Howard who once memorably lowered his head and ran over two Auburn linebackers AFTER having his helmet ripped off at the line of scrimmage.

In the midst of an otherwise disappointing 27-23 loss by the #8 ranked Vols to Mississippi State (UNIVERSITY, SIR! HOME OF THE ALLUSTROUS BULLDAWGS! GRRRR!)* on Sept. 13, 1986 in Knoxville, Howard rushed for 184 yards.

Howard would go on to set an NCAA record for most consecutive rushes with 16 against Ole Miss later that year.

Howard was drafted by the Tampa Bay Bucs and played two seasons.

William Howard on his way to 184 yards vs MSU

View attachment 355936

*Classical reference: Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Mississippi State
What happened to PeayGolf? I hope he is okay? I’m glad that you took this up and continued it though...

What happened to PeayGolf? I hope he is okay? I’m glad that you took this up and continued it though...

I don't know what's going on with @peaygolf. My suspicion is that he has gotten very busy with work as I seem to recall him making reference to that elsewhere.

I join you in hoping he has not suffered a "significant emotional event."

I REALLY don't want this job (doing the Maxims is quite enough as I'm already working at loading the old 13-round magazine with topics for 2021) but I'll keep going as long as I can. There are, I warn, changes coming in my life which may affect my time on this board as well.

I urge anyone with an interest to dive into the Vol archives on 2020 Football Media Guide and knock out a couple of these.

That being said ...

Day 183

Wide receiver Joey Kent made an impact for the Vols from the first day on campus. His freshman year (1993) he caught ten balls for 209 yards and 5 touchdowns and went on from there.

Joey Kent is still the Vols' leading pass receiver with 183 receptions for a total of 2814 yards (also a Vol record) and 25 touchdowns!

He is tied for the Vol record for receptions in a single game (13) with Carl Pickens (Notre Dame 1990) Kent's coming against Arkansas in 1995.

It's fair to say, though, that #11's most memorable catch was this one:

The sharp-eyed among you might notice that the downfield blocker helping Joey on his way was none other than #12 Marcus Nash who is #2 on the all-time receiving catches and yards list.

When we greybeards speak of the weapons Tennessee had back in the day we are talking about things like this.

I don't know what's going on with @peaygolf. My suspicion is that he has gotten very busy with work as I seem to recall him making reference to that elsewhere.

I join you in hoping he has not suffered a "significant emotional event."

I REALLY don't want this job (doing the Maxims is quite enough as I'm already working at loading the old 13-round magazine with topics for 2021) but I'll keep going as long as I can. There are, I warn, changes coming in my life which may affect my time on this board as well.

I urge anyone with an interest to dive into the Vol archives on 2020 Football Media Guide and knock out a couple of these.

That being said ...
I am with ya on that. I hope it’s just that he ran out of time, and like me, I am busy at work. I’ll try to help some. If I can.👍

Reactions: MAD and OneManGang
Day 182

Linebacker Steve Poole recorded 111 primary tackles and 71 assists leading the 1974 Vols with 182 total tackles.

Despite diligent searching I was unable to find any photos of the redoubtable Mr. Poole, but d*mned if I didn't find something better.

Below is game film from the 1974 tilt with Clemson that saw one of the most dramatic finishes in Vol Lore.

Late in the 4th quarter, Tennessee trailed 28-21. As time was winding down, tailback Stanley Morgan scored on a six-yard run to bring the Vols to within one 27-28. Then the "Artful Dodger" Condredge Holloway earned his title escaping Clemson defenders and floating a pass to Larry Seivers for the two-point conversion that sealed the deal 29-28.

I played golf once with Larry Seivers and asked him about that play. He said the thing he remembered most was Gus Manning waiting for him and beating him with his brief case as he hugged him.

Holloway, Morgan, Seivers, McCartney, Spiva ... Gawd, what a collection of Vol Legends!

Steve Poole is #45.

Last edited:
Day 181

Vol wide receiver Peerless Price caught 7 passes for 181 yards and 1 touchdown as the Vols put Vanderbilt out of everyone's misery 41-0 in Nashville on Nov. 28, 1998.

Price went on to lead the Vols in receiving for the 1998 season with 61 catches for 920 yards and 10 TDs.

I was at the 1997 Orange and White game where a reserve db ignored the green jersey Price was wearing and slung him to the turf of Shields-Watkins Field, breaking his leg. He sat out the '97 season yet is still #3 among the all-time receiving leaders at Tennessee with 147 catches for 2,298 yards.

None were bigger than this legendary catch in the Fiesta Bowl to seal the 23-16 Tennessee win and secure the National Championship.

peerless price 2.jpg

Oops ... got distracted.

Day 180

One of the more confusing statistical categories is "All Purpose Yards" which usually translates into rushing and receiving or some such.

With Vol legend Stanley Morgan, though, there is no such confusion.

In 1974, Morgan participated in 180 plays. His yardage for the season broke down thusly: 723 yards rushing, 234 yards receiving, 375 yards of kickoff returns and 255 yards on punt returns for a total of 1587 yards. Oh, and #21 also scored 14 touchdowns.

All-Purpose, indeed!

Stanley Morgan.jpg

Last edited:
Day 179

Three Vols have posted 179-yards rushing in a single game.

On Nov. 30, 1963, Mallon Faircloth lit up Vanderbilt for 179 rushing yards in a 14-0 victory at newly-named Neyland Stadium, the Old Man having passed away in 1962. The 1963 Vols were led by interim Head Coach Jim MacDonald. Doug Dickey would be named HeadVol for the 1964 season. Coach MacDonald was a fixture in the UTAD for decades afterward in various roles.

Mallon Faircloth was appointed to the federal bench in Georgia in 1999.

Faircloth's single-game feat was matched by Travis Henry (1999) and Monterio Hardesty (2009) both against Kentucky.

Mallon Faircloth

mallon faircloth.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 178

Alan Cockrell was talented enough to be starting quarterback for the Vols as a freshman in 1981, at least until Auburn tried to tear his left leg off. The thing was that he was even more talented as a baseball player!

I was at that game and remember hoping as I saw him sprawled out on Shields-Watkins Field, that the injury wouldn't hurt his baseball career!

After knee surgery and rehab, he was back at the controls for the 1982 season. The 1982 version of the Vols completed 178 passes out of 303 attempts. Quarterback Cockrell was 174 out of 294, a respectable 59.2%, resulting in 2021 yards and 12 touchdowns. He ended his football career with a 30-23 win over Maryland in the inaugural Florida Citrus Bowl in 1983.

Cockrell entered the Major League Draft in 1984 and was drafted in the first round (9th overall) by the San Francisco Giants.

After 13 years in the majors and minors, he became a sought after coach. He was last listed in 2020 as an assistant baseball coach for Queens College of Charlotte.

Allen Cockrell

Cockrell-5.jpg

Last edited:
Day 177

As was mentioned above, Marcus Nash is in the #2 spot on UT's all time receivers list in both catches and yardage.

Over his career from 1994-97 Nash had 177 receptions for 2447 yards and 20 TDs. He also holds the Vol record for most receptions in a season with 76.

It is indicative of the Vols' struggles on offense recently that during the years 1994-96 Nash and Kent combined for 20 touchdowns. Three Vols had 100+ yards against Alabama in 1995. Nash had 100 yards even while Kent racked up 117 and Jay Graham rushed for 122.

Marcus Nash #12 (UT Sports)

kent and nash.jpg

VN Store

Back