2021 Baseball Recruiting

According to the recruiting expert who literally said Tennessee should concede the top in-state recruits to Vandy every year and look for talent elsewhere...

I mean this isn’t exactly total joint arthroplasty

I’m sure there a few along the way, heck Stallings was a get for DS over Vandy but even now we aren’t going head to head with vandy and winning much at all. One of the big benefits of recruiting so many kids and nationally is being able to steer clear of vandy. Burns is the The feather in CTV cap in state wasn’t offered by vandy.

Who has CTV beaten out vandy for?

btw Corbin has publicly stated they won’t recruit any kids they aren’t seeing in person now so nows a great time to get on that computer and offer every single kid that breaks 88 on the gun.

I understand your comments and frustration but understand it happens almost everywhere (not a great excuse since I told my boys I don't care what everyone else is doing) but it is part of the process. Saw an article the other day and can't find it now that states that the number of P5 guys who stay after one year is nearing 50%. I think it was actually 47% don't make it a year. This is freshmen not transfers or juco guys. There were several reasons. Obviously over-recruiting, draft catching coaches off guard, players coming as walk-ons and preferred walk-ons to their dream schools which are a stretch, guys who can't make the grades, homesick, and guys who are just in over their heads. it was a good read and I will keep looking to find it. That number seems high to me but I know from this last year's freshman class that it is not. There are several others who are not coming back that have not made it public yet but the number will be close to 40% best I can tell. I do not have the answer to it because it is required to be competitive in the SEC. You have to go get more and allow more to come to get the ones you need to replace what is normally leaving every year. But I also say that if you want to play in the SEC you better be ready to beat out several guys before you get to represent your school. As I have told my son, you have to be at the top of the list before you get to wear the T and protect the T. You have to beat out your guys before you get to beat the other guys. My son and most others who are honest with themselves know this when they committed or walked-on at an SEC school.
It is like travel/showcase ball. I looked at the teams that won the WWBA's this year and all of them had 25-35 players on their rosters. The teams that showed up with 13 players have no chance of winning.

I understand your comments and frustration but understand it happens almost everywhere (not a great excuse since I told my boys I don't care what everyone else is doing) but it is part of the process. Saw an article the other day and can't find it now that states that the number of P5 guys who stay after one year is nearing 50%. I think it was actually 47% don't make it a year. This is freshmen not transfers or juco guys. There were several reasons. Obviously over-recruiting, draft catching coaches off guard, players coming as walk-ons and preferred walk-ons to their dream schools which are a stretch, guys who can't make the grades, homesick, and guys who are just in over their heads. it was a good read and I will keep looking to find it. That number seems high to me but I know from this last year's freshman class that it is not. There are several others who are not coming back that have not made it public yet but the number will be close to 40% best I can tell. I do not have the answer to it because it is required to be competitive in the SEC. You have to go get more and allow more to come to get the ones you need to replace what is normally leaving every year. But I also say that if you want to play in the SEC you better be ready to beat out several guys before you get to represent your school. As I have told my son, you have to be at the top of the list before you get to wear the T and protect the T. You have to beat out your guys before you get to beat the other guys. My son and most others who are honest with themselves know this when they committed or walked-on at an SEC school.
It is like travel/showcase ball. I looked at the teams that won the WWBA's this year and all of them had 25-35 players on their rosters. The teams that showed up with 13 players have no chance of winning.

Solid post.

Only thing I’d argue with is the degree it happens everywhere. There is a difference between over signing to protect the program from the draft and over signing without any kind of numbers in mind to stockpile and release kids.

He’s my solution.
1) there is no signing day. Once a kid commits the kid can sign with the school. If the school backs out of the commitment they lose that scholarship $ for one year. The kid can get out of the commitment if the head coach leaves or if he’s willing to sit out a year.

2) once a kid gets to school the school loses 50% of their scholarship money if the kid leaves after year one. One might say that’s harsh but the current apr rules are too soft. If a player leaves after 2 years no scholarship money is lost. This gives kids 2 years to get it right.

if those two things were implemented there would be no high numbers of offers given after watching a kids video on twitter which is happening right now. Coaches would take time to get to know kids and make sure it’s a good marriage before allowing them to sign. As it is now there is no risk at all taking commitments. I hear stories all the time of where coaches take commitments from kids and never even speak to anyone at the kids HS. They don’t do their homework because if it doesn’t work out there is no risk.

Last edited:
The only thing I would add to your #1 is that if a kid leaves after 1 year then he cannot get a scholarship for one year anywhere. I think it has to be both ways. I know kids who go places without checking out the school or coach because they got an offer. Some are not realistic. I think it truly should be a contract between the two. We say that an NLI is a contract but neither side overall truly treats it like a contract. There has to be greater penalties on both sides if they get out of the NLI especially before the first year or after the first year. When I look at the kids that I know personally in my son's graduating class that went P5, all that were on scholarship except 1 is still going to be there but several that are walk-ons are moving on after only 1 year for many of the reasons above with playing time being the greatest. I would wonder how many of those 47% that leave after the first year are on scholarship and how many are walk-ons to some extent. I would say very few are scholarship players because they normally find a place on the field at P5's. Like anything in life, the more money invested the more time you are going to give someone whether in ball or business and you normally do not give money unless you think they will truly help you. Many this year are moving on because if you did not play in 2020 there is a smaller chance you will play in 2021-23. There are several schools that are already telling 2020 incoming freshmen that there is no reason to come because there will not be a spot for them. Some say at least they told them ahead of time but finding a new spot to play in the summer before school starts this year is almost impossible without dropping way down.

Solid post.

Only thing I’d argue with is the degree it happens everywhere. There is a difference between over signing to protect the program from the draft and over signing without any kind of numbers in mind to stockpile and release kids.

He’s my solution.
1) there is no signing day. Once a kid commits the kid can sign with the school. If the school backs out of the commitment they lose that scholarship $ for one year. The kid can get out of the commitment if the head coach leaves or if he’s willing to sit out a year.

2) once a kid gets to school the school loses 50% of their scholarship money if the kid leaves after year one. One might say that’s harsh but the current apr rules are too soft. If a player leaves after 2 years no scholarship money is lost. This gives kids 2 years to get it right.

if those two things were implemented there would be no high numbers of offers given after watching a kids video on twitter which is happening right now. Coaches would take time to get to know kids and make sure it’s a good marriage before allowing them to sign. As it is now there is no risk at all taking commitments. I hear stories all the time of where coaches take commitments from kids and never even speak to anyone at the kids HS. They don’t do their homework because if it doesn’t work out there is no risk.
On number 2 you are saying a school should lose 50 percent if a kid transfers? What if the kid leaves on his own?

On number 2 you are saying a school should lose 50 percent if a kid transfers? What if the kid leaves on his own?

I understand that’s an issue but apr was created to monitor the transfer rate of programs and its failed to have any effect. It should be seen as a failure in recruiting if a kid Transfers after one year and such mistakes should hurt a program as well as the kid imo

of course if there is a real mitigating circumstance for transfer such as a family members health than a waiver could be awarded allowing kids to play immediately and the school to not lose their 50%.

Jmo but mistakes made in recruiting should have consequences for programs. There are no consequences at all in this day and age

I understand that’s an issue but apr was created to monitor the transfer rate of programs and its failed to have any effect. It should be seen as a failure in recruiting if a kid Transfers after one year and such mistakes should hurt a program as well as the kid imo

of course if there is a real mitigating circumstance for transfer such as a family members health than a waiver could be awarded allowing kids to play immediately and the school to not lose their 50%.

Jmo but mistakes made in recruiting should have consequences for programs. There are no consequences at all in this day and age
Bruin kids don’t just transfer because they are told too by a staff. Kids are in a play now mantality. They all are stars in high school and on the summer circuit. They are short on patience and want to play immediately, some get homesick, some don’t like their teammates. If a kid leave on their own a school shouldn’t be penalized for that. I could see your point if the school gave them the nudge out the door. Which I’m assuming you want cleaned up.

Bruin kids don’t just transfer because they are told too by a staff. Kids are in a play now mantality. They all are stars in high school and on the summer circuit. They are short on patience and want to play immediately, some get homesick, some don’t like their teammates. If a kid leave on their own a school shouldn’t be penalized for that. I could see your point if the school gave them the nudge out the door. Which I’m assuming you want cleaned up.

I agree with all you say but doesn’t change my stance at all really. Kids have that mentality because they are selfish and have been sold a set of goods in recruiting that isn’t reality. If coaches knew they Were recruiting kids that were high risk to leave if they werent walking into immediate playing time then that changes the process in a good way. Right now there is no risk in doing that at all. It’s just a quick divorce and both sides move on. Such a rule would make
Coaches and kids learn to communicate reality in the recruiting process instead of what they have now.

Last edited:
There’s a chance a scholarship might not be renewed, IIRC.

Chase Burns changed schools. He’s now enrolled at Beech High School and will be playing for Jake Rucker’s former coach, Josh Carmen.

If Beech High School sounds familiar, it’s also where Jalen Hurd attended.

Chase Burns changed schools. He’s now enrolled at Beech High School and will be playing for Jake Rucker’s former coach, Josh Carmen.

If Beech High School sounds familiar, it’s also where Jalen Hurd attended.

Covid allows them to transfer and play immediately with only sitting out a few games if they haven’t moved

I heard that same hs lost the vandy commit as well. If so that sucks for them

Covid allows them to transfer and play immediately with only sitting out a few games if they haven’t moved

I heard that same hs lost the vandy commit as well. If so that sucks for them

Really??? I haven't heard anything about Ryan Ginther transferring. I just have inside information on Beech and I coached the 2022-2024 ages for over a decade. From tee ball to middle school.

Other BaseVol recruiting news, we got a commit from Goodpasture 2023 LHP Luke Payne.

Big Commitment today. They got Dayton Downey out of Central Arizona Juco. Hit 320 with 10
Home runs as a freshman at Arizona. He was a freshman All American in 2019. Him , Jordan Beck and Drew Gilbert should be an interesting trio for opposing pitchers to deal with.

Big Commitment today. They got Dayton Downey out of Central Arizona Juco. Hit 320 with 10
Home runs as a freshman at Arizona. He was a freshman All American in 2019. Him , Jordan Beck and Drew Gilbert should be an interesting trio for opposing pitchers to deal with.
2021 commit?

VN Store

Back