Votes: 174 26.2%
  • 7-5

Votes: 29 4.4%
  • 6-6

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Don't Even Go There

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters
I haven't picked an option in the poll yet, because I just can't figure out where we end up at QB. That one position out of 22 makes such a huge difference in this kind of prognostication.

One part of me says we can find a true SEC-caliber QB, not necessarily a superstar immediately, but an Aaron Murray, Jake Fromm, or Kellen Mond level performance. Note, this could come from an improved JG, or an HB just getting his feet under him as a true freshman, or any other option among our QB room. Not opening a debate about who the guy is, just trying to nail down the quality level.

So with that quality level of QB play, solid play, I think we go 10-2 regular season, and make it to Atlanta. I do think Georgia is vulnerable now. Yes, they have talented depth, but they're still replacing 9 of 11 starters on offense. They will have to depend on defense in 2020. Kind of like we did this year. In fact, our defenses will be at about the same caliber...but with solid QB play, we will be better on offense. So we have a real chance to beat the Dawgs.

I also think we'll pull off an upset in one of the big three, OK, FL, and Bama. Luckily, we get two of them in our house.

I think we take care of business with all the rest of our SEC schedule. So...10-2. If the upset we get is vs Florida, we're in Atlanta in December.

That's the poll option I'd like to pick. But that darn QB position...so...if I had to pick right now without being sure we have solid SEC-caliber QB play, I'd have to go somewhere around 8 wins. Maybe 9, if my homerism is flaring up. But more likely 8.

So...10 wins and a trip to Atlanta, or 8 wins in a near-repeat of of the 2015 season?

Hard to say at this point.

I think I'll just not pick yet, heh.

Go Vols!

• Sept. 5 — Charlotte W
  • Sept. 12 — at Oklahoma L
  • Sept. 19 — Furman W
  • Sept. 26 — Florida W
  • Oct. 3 — Missouri W
  • Oct. 10 — at South Carolina W
  • Oct. 24 — Alabama L
  • Oct. 31 — at Arkansas W
  • Nov. 7 – Kentucky W
  • Nov. 14 — at Georgia W
  • Nov. 21 — Troy W
  • Nov. 28 — at Vanderbilt W
10&2. Baby!!! Wins the East!!!! Go Big Orange!!!!!!!

It’s just hard to tell what to expect from everyone else right now. I’m still worried about our DL.
Why are you worried about our DL? By the end of the season, it was a if not the strength of the team in 2019. We’ll add Gooden and Tyler Baron and an Elijah Simmons coming off a year in Fitz’s S&C program. We still need a big-time pass rushers or 2 off the edge from our OLBs, but our interior DL is very solid going into 2020.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
With the crumbling of the Bulldogs this offseason down in Athens, this team has a chance to go 10-2, definitely 9-3 in 2020......unless......Guarantano returns and plays any meaningful snaps. 7-5 if he is the starter at QB next year.

Reactions: cgrish
I think this team will have a lot of questions. No doubt the potential is there. But losing Jennings, Bituli, Taylor, Warrior, and Calloway hurt no matter how you slice it. Those guys were the heart and soul of this team. If the leadership and the "never say die" attitude continue without those guys here, and guys like Gibbs, Brandon Johnson, and Palmer step up on offense, we can have a real good year. I would HOPE 8 wins plus a bowl is the floor.

Reactions: 08Vol
It’s just hard to tell what to expect from everyone else right now. I’m still worried about our DL.
Getting pressure on opposing QB's will be the weakness of the 2020 defense. On offense, it'll be (1) QB play and (2) Receiver quality (could be good enough, but might not be). Wish we had a 220# banger at RB, but we'll get some big runs out of Gray and Chandler with the holes our OL will make. Maybe we line up Pope at wildcat a la Tyson Hill to get 1-2 yds. when needed.

I think this team will have a lot of questions. No doubt the potential is there. But losing Jennings, Bituli, Taylor, Warrior, and Calloway hurt no matter how you slice it. Those guys were the heart and soul of this team. If the leadership and the "never say die" attitude continue without those guys here, and guys like Gibbs, Brandon Johnson, and Palmer step up on offense, we can have a real good year. I would HOPE 8 wins plus a bowl is the floor.

All true. I heard Pruitt say something in an interview the other day that I had not ever given any thought to. He said that not only do you need good leaders, you also need players who are willing to accept leadership. I think we had both this year. I hope that continues.

Reactions: Ratvol
I think Emmitt Gooden coming back healthy along with everyone else on the line getting another full year of coaching and strength and conditioning, we will see a vast improvement from this season. Darell Taylor is leaving. With that being said, I think we have players like Roman Harrison and others who are absolute savages. Darell got so close to the QB with no avail so many times this year. Next year, It wont just be one player getting close, it will be a HOST OF VOLUNTEERS meeting the QB or RB in the backfield. We have some dudes coming in the 2020 class that play with bad intentions like Tennessee defenses we all remember. The D Line will also free up elite level LB's like Henry T to flow freely to make a play instead of having to shed an extra block or chip. If Q Crouch starts playing instinctive football next year our LB's will be fun to watch fly around the field as Wilson, Raynoch, Eddie Moore, Burnett, Mayo, Simon, and many other that I have not mentioned used to do. With the loss of Nigel, I am so excited to see our safety play. Tank McCollough will be a force and if Flowers gets healthy and continues to improve, I expect a lot of big time plays and momentum changing hits to occur in EVERY game next year. I have full faith in Bryce Thompson's ability to lock down the #1 receiver on the opposing team and feel comfortable with Alontae or George covering the other wide out. Shamburger is my question mark. He did great things occasionally this year but found himself out of place more often then not. I think that the coaching staff has faith in Shamburger and hopefully the light turns on this year with him as well. In all, I am excited to watch this defense play next year. We have depth and we have a lot of guys with a savage mentality on the field. Pruitt is bringing in the type of kids that want to absolutely bury you on every play and has no fear of anyone they face. I would love anyone's feedback on my brief assesment. Everyone is excited about our O Line as I am too, but I am a defense loving fan. GO VOLS!
Shamburger was a terror on those corner blitzes though. Usually, if a corner is coming in full speed, the QB will side step the rush pretty easily, but I don't remember one of those blitzes where he (or Taylor) missed the target.

Shamburger was a terror on those corner blitzes though. Usually, if a corner is coming in full speed, the QB will side step the rush pretty easily, but I don't remember one of those blitzes where he (or Taylor) missed the target.
I agree with the blitz aspect of his game. I want to have more confidence in his abilities in covering and fundamentals when he is asked to drop in coverage or help tackle or contain in run support.

• Sept. 5 — Charlotte W
  • Sept. 12 — at Oklahoma L
  • Sept. 19 — Furman W
  • Sept. 26 — Florida W
  • Oct. 3 — Missouri W
  • Oct. 10 — at South Carolina W
  • Oct. 24 — Alabama L
  • Oct. 31 — at Arkansas W
  • Nov. 7 – Kentucky W
  • Nov. 14 — at Georgia W
  • Nov. 21 — Troy W
  • Nov. 28 — at Vanderbilt W
10&2. Baby!!! Wins the East!!!! Go Big Orange!!!!!!

As much as we all would like to be saying this, let us not forget the Georgia State and BYU debacle. 9-3 or 8-4 seems fairly reasonable.

I think the biggest thing to take note of and what everyone should be happy about......

We all talk about "any given Saturday", but I don't see Tennessee losing to anyone outside the obvious 4. Something weird really has to happen. Even the games that might be tougher than people would expect. Those games (Missouri and Kentucky) are in Neyland.

So, if they win those 8, then anything beyond that is a big deal. Beating Florida, Georgia, Alabama or Oklahoma (doesn't matter which one) is going to put the program back in a different light.

I’m terrible at these but I say 9-3

Losses to Bama, UF, and Oklahoma. I think we get in UGAs head again and finish second in the east. Great bowl opportunity and momentum for the following season.

It’s been a strangely optimist few weeks for me so I may go NegaVol again before the season but for now I’m feeling’ it!

Reactions: KBVol and Ratvol
As much as we all would like to be saying this, let us not forget the Georgia State and BYU debacle. 9-3 or 8-4 seems fairly reasonable.
I'm not forgetting anything. 10-2 is very possible and I will stick with it.

10-2 if we fix our QB situation
8-4, 7-5 if we don't

My thinking exactly. I picked 8-4 because I am concerned that jg will be qb, at least long enough to lose a game we should win. If qb problem fixed we could win 10 regular season games.

They’re going to have a true freshman QB. And its early in the season

I will be surprised if their true freshmen doesn't play well. Okl will give him a chance to succeed. They will score several points on us, that's why we can't have jg at qb next year we don't score enough points.

If JG is our QB, I think 8-4 is realistic. If we can get better QB play from one of the others, I'll go 9-3.

They’re going to have a true freshman QB. And its early in the season

You keep saying that but it’s not true. Rattler was a 5*, #1 QB, and #11 overall recruit in the 2019 class. UT will be the team starting a true freshman in the game.

VN Store

Back