2020 Wide Receivers

Excited to see what Gibbs can do. I remember him being mentioned quite a lot during fall camp by TOS’s. He was always on scout team and/or showing out.

Reactions: LittleVol
Wow. I guess it’s my system. That’s weird. I was on a Mac. Velus. Of course, I am writing this reply on my phone so it works on mobile...

1. PALMER - I’d have a tough time taking anyone seriously who says otherwise.

After him it’s a lot more unclear but I’ll say

2. HYATT - He gives us speed we haven’t seen since.... ? .... Patterson maybe? He could stretch the field and really open things up for our offense.

3. TILLMAN - He’s got something the other guys don’t have, size.

That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Calloway, Keyton, Johnson, or Jones Jr. end up in the top 3.

I think Holiday sticks at QB, but it’ll take him at least a couple years to get the mechanics ironed out. Could see him being a 2-year starter at QB later in his career if Bailey leaves early and Holiday redshirts.
What about Gibbs ? Apparently he impressed on the scout team this year.

My guess:
Palmer
Gibbs
Johnson

Next:
Keyton
Tillman
Velus

Several Fr with potential but I am very happy to say UT has reached the point where we aren’t just waiting on the next Fr to show up and play simply b/c of so many roster holes.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Jennings is a huge loss but I think that Gibbs will be able to place the majority of Callaways production. We need Palmer to be the leader. Keyton, B Johnson, and Tillman should all be big contributors also. If Tee earns his paycheck this is a deeper group.

Palmer because he has done it last two years. Keyton we did see that he can perform at College level as backup this year. Tillman for a under the radar recruit showed some promise as well when he got the chance as backup. Finally Johnson because again he has done it at this level leading the team three years ago. Gibbs and incoming Freshman we have to see can they play at this level. But I like what I see from highlights of Hyatt.

Jennings is a huge loss but I think that Gibbs will be able to place the majority of Callaways production. We need Palmer to be the leader. Keyton, B Johnson, and Tillman should all be big contributors also. If Tee earns his paycheck this is a deeper group.
Good point

Not sure the love for Velus as a wide receiver. He'll most likely handle punt returns. Catch less than 20 passes all season.

Palmer number one. Gibbs/Tillman at the 2.
Keyton in the slot.
Johnson and others filling in.
The freshmen will see spot duty, likely preserving redshirts for most. They are all very light and need some time in the s&c.

Not sure the love for Velus as a wide receiver. He'll most likely handle punt returns. Catch less than 20 passes all season.

Palmer number one. Gibbs/Tillman at the 2.
Keyton in the slot.
Johnson and others filling in.
The freshmen will see spot duty, likely preserving redshirts for most. They are all very light and need some time in the s&c.
RE: Velus it’s wishful thinking on my part b/c I really wish we hadn’t taken him. I think our WR room was fine w/o him sooo..I’m hoping the coaches see more to him than just M.aybe his speed will make him a factor. Otherwise it’s a wasted spot.

Palmer needs to be the leader out there. B. Johnson took the redshirt needs be strong. Gibbs needs to prove his second chance and play against his ex team. Tillman and Keyton will continue to see the field with vertical speed. V. Jones is interesting and the incoming freshman look really good. HIT THE BRAKES PEOPLE...Skills are one thing but you need to be able to get off the line of scrimmage AND first things first...They must become blockers....Remember our Oline and needing to establish the running game

RE: Velus it’s wishful thinking on my part b/c I really wish we hadn’t taken him. I think our WR room was fine w/o him sooo..I’m hoping the coaches see more to him than just M.aybe his speed will make him a factor. Otherwise it’s a wasted spot.

On this sir. We agree. Not a fan of one year guys usually. I'd take Joe Burrow, Tua, some elite guy who walks in and immediate upgrade/starter. A 3 star who hardly saw the field, I need to pour over the rosters the past ten years and see how effective these transfers have been for Tennessee.

Isn't a good hit rate for high schoolers about 18 out of 25? 72%. That means you gotta get at least 3 out of 4 grad transfers to hit to be equal. Plus Pruitt is hitting more like 90%+ with his guys. I dunno. Doesn't seem worth it to me. We'll find out though.

LittleVol's Projected Depth Chart:

Sr. Josh Palmer 6'2 202
So. Ramel Keyton 6'3 191
Jr. DeAngelo Gibbs 6'2 215

What's leaving:
Because of graduation, The Vols lose considerable talents in the ultra competitive Jauan Jennings and big play Marquez Callaway. Stats don't tell the full story of their impact. Callaway had 91 career receptions for 1,543 yards and 13 tds. To go along with 3 career punt returns for tds. His big ability is evident by his 17 yards per catch average and explosives return abilities.

Yet it was Jennings who was regarded as the Alpha of the WR corp and offense period. The Hailmary over UGA in 2016. Him dominating Florida the same year to help snap an 11 game losing streak to the Gators. He leaves UT with accumulating 146 career receptions, 2,153 yards and 19 total total TDs. Impressive stats, but Vols fans will remember him by his gutsy and clutch plays over his career. Not to mention he was probably the toughest guy on the team.
Tyler Byrd showed super star potential as a freshman, but never really progressed after that. His blocking ability was always consistent however.

What's returning:
Josh Palmer and Brandon Johnson (6'1 200) will be the two senior Wrs leading the way in 2020. With the uncertainty at QB, this experience is crucial. Palmer has flashed speed, acrobatic type ability and more consistent hands as his career has progressed. However he may not be the most talented of the upper classmen.

DeAngelo Gibbs was a highly recruited and hyped recruit all throughout high school. He played with powerhouse Grayson his senior season and ended up signing with the Georgia Bulldogs. He has since transferred to Tennessee and has his sights set on making a big splash at WR. He was possibly the most most dominant WR in Georgia his senior season. Also hailing from Georgia is Ramel Keyton who showed great overall ability as a true freshman in 2019- Long and fast he knows how to attack the ball. Cedric Tillman ( 6'3 217) out of another high school powerhouse Bishop Gorman has really improved in his two seasons with the Vols.
He will have a say so.

So far so good? It gets better.
The 2020 class inked 3 explosive playmakers in Jalin Hyatt (6'1 170), WR/ATH Jimmy Calloway (6'0 180), and QB/ ATH Jimmy Holiday (6'1 185).
Hyatt was the most explosive player in South Carolina. He used his 10.4 100 meter speed to wrack up 2,000 yards receiving and 27 Tds during his senior year. He also played for an emerging national powerhouse in Dutch Fork high school who has won 4 straight state championships. Calloway - another Georgia product- was discovered by the Vols and absolutely blew up his senior season! Florida and Auburn came after his signature. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands but is possibly a star at Cornerback if he were put there. Also a dynamic return man. Holiday signed as a QB but his 4.39 speed and prior experience at WR lend many to believe he will be lead right back there. Speed was the need indeed in 2020.

Transfers:
Velus Jones (6'0 195) and Miles Jones (5'8 180) both bring speed to the lineup. They transferred from Southern Cal, and Nebraska respectively.

Summary:
The success of this group obviously depends much on how the QB room develops. What can't be denied is the considerable talent at disposal in 2020. Its It's a great blend of size and speed that will make Tennessee dangerous next season!

Please feel free to comment with your own projected depth chart or opinion about the group in 2020.

Last edited:
We're losing a lot of talent at the WR position this offseason. That said...

Who do you think will be our top 3 receivers, and who's likely to play the slot position?
Johnson, Keyton, & Palmer are top 3. Palmer was already the starter in the slot, & Johnson has previously led the team in recieving. That gives us 2 seniors in the Wr room who have experience. The unknown is Keyton whom i thought showed flashes in the bowl game

Reactions: VolforFootball
I liked it, not worried about receivers next season. They should be just fine as long as we have someone to get them the ball

Top to bottom it looks better than in 2019 imo.
Gonna be hard to replace Jennings tho...

Heart of the team!

Palmer is definitely the leader. Keyton looks like the next man up. The third man could be Johnson, Gibbs, Hyatt, or Tillman. Johnson has the experience, Tillman has shown flashes, and the other two are incredible athletes. I think we'll be fine. We now have good and versatile running backs, an impressive offensive line. Just about finding the answer at QB. We have a lot of options there, and spring ball looks like it'll be awesome to watch.

Palmer and Johnson are the only receivers who have had any real impact. Johnson led the team in receptions in 2017, and Palmer led in yards per catch in 2018. They'll clearly be in the mix. Keyton showed flashes, so I expect him to be heavily involved, too. If reports about Gibbs are accurate then we should have four good receivers. Tight end looks like a weakness to me right now, so I'd love to see Chaney spread things out. I think that will help us run, too. Of course, that all depends on the quarterback's ability to deliver, so fingers crossed.

Reactions: 901 Orange

VN Store

Back