All starting WRs
Starting RB
1/5 OL (3 are RSJr though)
4/11 players on D... 3 of which were the top tacklers

Tennessee is losing:

2/3 starting WRs
No RBs
3/11 players on D...3 of top 5 tacklers

So both teams are hit with attrition pretty bad.

We've been down this road before with both teams in similar situations. Still, Florida manages to win or blow us out. Until UT can consistently play with Florida and win a few in this series, I'll go with the safe bet.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I actually think we will be pretty good at WR with a little better depth next year.

- Josh Palmer
- Deangelo Gibbs
- Brandon Johnson (14-132 in '18)
- Ramel Keyton
- Cedric Tillman
Unproven but talented T should have them ready.

Reactions: FBtime
Alabama and Florida will be toss ups? We've beaten florida once since 2004. Alabama currently has a 12 game streak against UT.

Not to mention Georgia.

All of those teams have had our number lately and it hasn't really been close, but yet somehow Tennessee is going to magically contend for the SEC east, even with the losses at several key positions.

Then there's this OOC game against Oklahoma.

Uh....I predicted 9-3 or 10-2..and qualified the 10-2 prediction on us getting the breaks and staying away from injuries.

A "toss-up" means that we have a 50-50 chance of winning.... That's why I predicted 9-3 or 10-2....

We looked terrible against Fla for sure....but I think there were still some players who were not "bought in" to CJP and his disciplined approach.

We looked like a team on mission for most of the 1st half against UGA....but they were just too good and we couldn't get pressure on their QB.
And Bituli had an awful game against UGA.

But since the first half of the UGA game we have out-played every team on our schedule except for BAMA...and our OL was truly dominating BAMA'S DL in the 2nd half until JG's debacle.
If JG would've executed on just 2 plays---the score half-way thru the 4th QTR would've been 24-28....in fact, it should've been 24-28 on the road at BAMA.

I predicted 9-3 because I think we'll lose to UGA, BAMA, and Florida.
I predicted 10-2 because I think we could--if everything goes right--beat either Florida or BAMA at home.

Either way--I think our defense will be good enough to beat OK on the road before their QB gets settled into their system.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
It seems as though a lot of posters believe we will win in Norman-the sooners aren't an historic cupcake game, what factors are leading you to believe this? I was under the impression we'd be playing them in OK, has that been changed?

It seems as though a lot of posters believe we will win in Norman-the sooners aren't an historic cupcake game, what factors are leading you to believe this? I was under the impression we'd be playing them in OK, has that been changed?
What factors make you think this is an automatic loss?:rolleyes:

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Issues at the start of this season:

2nd year players were breaking in their 2nd offense in 2 years.
3rd year players were breaking in their 3rd offense in 3 years.
4th year players were breaking in their 4th offense in 4 years.

This is the first time anyone on our entire roster will have had the same offense 2 years in a row.

I love that we're going out to Oklahoma, but it's almost assuredly a loss. However, IF we pull out a win on the road in week 2 against a perennial CFP contender, that'd be huge for where this program is going.

They're returning their entire OL.

They only lose one WR (maybe 2 if ceedee lamb declares) but they replace them with 5* WRs.

They're losing Hurts... but replacing him with a 5*.

They're losing 2/11 of a very young D. 6/11 were either RSFr or So.

I don't know where the "Automatic loss" came from, it wasn't I that posted anything regarding an automatic loss. In Fact, I asked a question, I'm interested in what actual factors posters have seen/used that lead them to believe we'll beat OK, in Norman. If asking a question regarding, why we should win a particular game, leads one to believe I said, "Automatic loss", I can only say God Bless your heart.o_O

Wish Pope would finally graduate...sheesh. wish him the best but I dont know why we keep trotting him out there to mess up. Hopefully Warren etc give us a real threat at TE next season.

Defense should be top tier SEC...hopefully those 2 freshmen WR can contribute immediately (especially at 4.31 quickness) to go with Palmer Johnson and maybe Keyton....

If get decent QB play next season we should go 8 and 4 even with the tougher schedule. To go 9 and 3 we will have to upset somebody ranked much higher than us...as well as winning all the games against everyone else. Not sure we are there yet especially without JJ and Bituli as leaders. We may end up 7 and 5 again. Dont panic if we do....in 2021 we should be challenging for the East.

Go VOLS!!! We are on the way back!!!

I really don't understand why people feel this way about Pope, he didn't have a good game against candy, but over the course of the season he had been an extremely valuable blocker.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I want Bama to be less than they usually are. However they have a young man that is a game changer and they now understand he has to have the ball in his hands a lot for them to win. It's Waddle. Only a handful of guys are in his category of play. He has a gear no one else in college football has. He plays receiver, punt and kickoff returner. He's subject to score every time the ball is in his hands. Ruggs and Jeuddy were very good WRs but both pale when it comes to Waddle. I didn't see anyone on the field in Auburn's recent win that could cover him. He's Rocket Ismail all over again. Bama's O will be dangerous.

They play less than zero defense. Defense will be our calling card next year, unless Trevor Lawrence transfers there we beat them. Football is a game of matchups and this a good matchup for us.

Reactions: I40flyer
We gotta do something about the wrs. I love all those guys, but we need to sign one or two older guys if possible whether juco or grad transfers

The offense will have a similar feel to what Georgia has had. Really good OL and RBs, solid QB play (No, I'm not comparing JG to Fromm) with avg WRs. No reason not to believe the ground game can't be top half of the SEC. Hopefully JG can rely on Palmer to be Jennings Lite and they'll be fine.

Gibbs will take up a lot of slack

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
If Grays coming out party was Vandy and the oline keeps getting better our ground game should be decent. What I'm worried about is the two biggest WR playmakers are gone. We have Palmer left and without looking at the roster I cant name another wide out. If we dont have guys able to fight for those high thrown balls or get used after the catch its gonna be bad. Hope I'm wrong though

Gibbs is a player. He will be a stud in the slot.

VN Store

Back