2020 Target List

Murrell gave a radio interview to Gary Parrish a week or so ago, and Trey Draper did the interview with him. Draper is on staff at IMG, went to Memphis, and his family has ties to Memphis all the way back to Larry Finch. Will be hard to get Murrell out of Memphis.
Yea I don’t see ur really even pursuing him...if it’s not Memphis it will be Vanderbilt.

Thought so too, I mentioned I thought it could be related to Hall...other possibility would be they liked him and he has said he’s getting ready to cut down his list and start scheduling visits, maybe it was a now or never.

Makes sense.

Obviously different positions but you have to at least consider what it might say about Springer and Hayes as well

Makes sense.

Obviously different positions but you have to at least consider what it might say about Springer and Hayes as well

Maybe...I have a hard time seeing them conceding all 3 of those guys as of today, so to me it looks more like they either 1. Really like him or 2. Want another big on the board.

have been putting this together over the past couple months and didn’t plan to post until next spring but given the rule changes allowing juniors to now OV and the fact Tennessee seems done for the 2019 (at least for now) figured I would go ahead with it.

These are the guys currently with offers, as things stand right now Tennessee see will have room to sign at least 4 (Open spot, Turner and Bowden). All rankings are per Rivals, if no Rivals ranking then will use 247 national ranking indicated by *...

#7 Greg Brown
#9 N’faly Dante
#12 Jaden Springer
#15 Sharife Cooper
#16 Jalen Suggs
#18 Bryce Thompson
#19 Walker Kessler
#24 Corey Walker Jr.-UT COMMIT
#25 Josh Hall
#32 Caleb Love
#34 Keon Johnson
#36 Micah Peavy
#46 Matthew Murrell
#60 Jayden Stone
#66 PJ Hall
#72 Samson Ruzhentsev
#109 Keon Ambrose-Hylton
#114 Dylan Cardwell
#140 Akeem Odusipe

NR Bradley Ezewiro
NR Elijah Taylor
NE Norrance Berry
NR Jordan Wilmore

have been putting this together over the past couple months and didn’t plan to post until next spring but given the rule changes allowing juniors to now OV and the fact Tennessee seems done for the 2019 (at least for now) figured I would go ahead with it.

These are the guys currently with offers, as things stand right now Tennessee see will have room to sign at least 4 (Open spot, Turner and Bowden). All rankings are per Rivals, if no Rivals ranking then will use 247 national ranking indicated by *...

#12 Jaden Springer
#18 Bryce Thompson
#24 Corey Walker Jr.-UT COMMIT
#25 Josh Hall
#34 Keon Johnson
#46 Matthew Murrell
#60 Jayden Stone
#66 PJ Hall
#72 Samson Ruzhentsev
#109 Keon Ambrose-Hylton
#114 Dylan Cardwell
#140 Akeem Odusipe

NR Bradley Ezewiro
NR Elijah Taylor
NE Norrance Berry
NR Jordan Wilmore
Removed guys who have eliminated Tennessee

Tennessee already sits with the commitment of top-25 forward Corey Walker and by the time Aug. 6 rolls around, I expect the Vols to celebrate the commitment of uber-athlete Keon Johnson. That is a pretty special and dynamic duo in the 2020 class but their work is not done just yet. P.J. Hall, a top-75 forward, recently announced a final five and while the Vols are one of two or three true favorites for his signature, I expect Hall to pick Florida. Tennessee could strike in the frontcourt with Dylan Cardwell, a quality developmental big man that has made great strides in recent months. Samson Ruzhentsev is definitely a name to keep tabs on, as is Jaden Springer who took an official visit to the SEC program earlier this year. For now, I don’t see Springer choosing Tennessee but that could change after he sees all of his finalists one last time. Walker, Johnson and Cardwell is a good three-man group that the Vols could always add to elsewhere, whether it is within the high school circuit, international realm or the transfer market.
-Rivals

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I had forgotten about the Russian. Seems like he really started to blow up this past year. Would be a great addition to the class if it made sense roster-wise.

I haven't gone through the math lately, but don't we still have one open 2020 scholarship? Philly on TB said that we were out with Keon's commitment.

Added:
1) Gaines
2) Pember
3) ORN
4) Plavsic
5) Bailey
6) C Walker
7) Keon
8) JJJ

1) open spot on 2018-19 roster
2) Grant
3) Admiral
4) Bone
5) Alexander
6) D Walker, Jr
7) Turner
8) Bowden
9) Burns

Plus 4 returning upperclassmen:
1) Pons
2) Kent
3) Fulk
4) J Johnson

Last edited:
Yes, still an open spot, ignore TB’s people.

Just today, FTR, they called Mark Griffin "Mark Griffith", Jaden Springer "James Springer, and said that Keon Johnson took the last open spot.

The Sports Animal might be a mouthpiece for UT, but they usually have their facts in order (the Purdue football coach coming to UT being a huge exception by Hyams).

Just today, FTR, they called Mark Griffin "Mark Griffith", Jaden Springer "James Springer, and said that Keon Johnson took the last open spot.

The Sports Animal might be a mouthpiece for UT, but they usually have their facts in order (the Purdue football coach coming to UT being a huge exception by Hyams).

Well, Brohm was coming to UT till it got leaked by Hyams lol

Any news on Samson Ruzhenzev. Is he on the outside looking in due to playing the same position as Keon and we need to focus on a big and a point guard? I got to see him play a couple of times and really like his game. Are we still actively pursuing?

Any news on Samson Ruzhenzev. Is he on the outside looking in due to playing the same position as Keon and we need to focus on a big and a point guard? I got to see him play a couple of times and really like his game. Are we still actively pursuing?
It seems likely that he is down the list for those reasons.

Reactions: LeannaVol
Unfortunately he seems to be down the list, it’s unfortunate because I love his game and think if we made him a priority he would end up here...but unless we miss/he waits until the spring it’s hard to see him here.

Unfortunately he seems to be down the list, it’s unfortunate because I love his game and think if we made him a priority he would end up here...but unless we miss/he waits until the spring it’s hard to see him here.
I hope Pember and Gaines blow it up and make me eat my words but this is my criticism of Barnes. I think those two were a reach for us and if we had that scholarship now we could use it on some like Rusentsev or another 2020 prospect that we do t have to develop for 3 years. I like what Barnes is doing but looking back I wish we still had one of their scholarships. I know hindsight is 20/20.

I hope Pember and Gaines blow it up and make me eat my words but this is my criticism of Barnes. I think those two were a reach for us and if we had that scholarship now we could use it on some like Rusentsev or another 2020 prospect that we do t have to develop for 3 years. I like what Barnes is doing but looking back I wish we still had one of their scholarships. I know hindsight is 20/20.

I think Pember is going to be a nice player, had we passed and he turns out to be a nice player then everyone would be bashing Barnes for passing on a kid that was begging to be here.

The downside to taking 4-5 of those highly ranked guys in a class is that it’s very likely someone gets their feelings hurt when they aren’t getting big minutes. If Gaines has to wait his turn, like a Jalen Johnson or Zach Kent, I think that he would be more willing to than say a Ruzhentsev.

Reactions: gunner
I think Pember is going to be a nice player, had we passed and he turns out to be a nice player then everyone would be bashing Barnes for passing on a kid that was begging to be here.

The downside to taking 4-5 of those highly ranked guys in a class is that it’s very likely someone gets their feelings hurt when they aren’t getting big minutes. If Gaines has to wait his turn, like a Jalen Johnson or Zach Kent, I think that he would be more willing to than say a Ruzhentsev.
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Gaines will be a very productive SEC player in 2 or 3 years. Maybe even a NBA draftable player by the time Gaines graduates, if he toughs it out at UT

The good news is it looks like both are not afraid of the weight room and have gained since they’ve arrived. Pember also looks taller than I expected.

Reactions: cncchris33
The good news is it looks like both are not afraid of the weight room and have gained since they’ve arrived. Pember also looks taller than I expected.

I mentioned a few times he was reportedly pushing 6’10” when he committed nearly a year ago now...I understand that he’s thin, but he also possesses guard skills that most 6’10” guys do not have. Now do I see him out there playing the 2? No. And while many have mentioned he’s not fast/quick enough, I definitely think his game offensively is good enough that he can give opposing 4’s some issues, the problem would be his strength against them on the other end, but he appears to be working on that.

I won’t make any guarantees, but I would not be the least bit surprised if down the road he’s a very solid player/starter for this program, and a guy that many will be happy we took a chance on.

VN Store

Back