2020 Target List

Was Memphis expected? Is UNC the favorite here?
Memphis was confident they’d make it, it sounded like...not sure there’s a clear favorite, obviously common sense makes one think UNC, but they haven’t prioritized him and supposedly that hasn’t sat well with Springer and his family.

Reading tea leaves and going off what VQ is reporting from this weekends open period, this would appear to be the board starting to really take shape and narrow down...

#12 Jaden Springer
#17 (2021) Cam Hayes
#24 Corey Walker Jr.- TENNESSEE COMMIT
#34 Keon Johnson
#66 PJ Hall
#114 Dylan Cardwell

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Reading tea leaves and going off what VQ is reporting from this weekends open period, this would appear to be the board starting to really take shape and narrow down...

#12 Jaden Springer
#17 (2021) Cam Hayes
#24 Corey Walker Jr.- TENNESSEE COMMIT
#34 Keon Johnson
#66 PJ Hall
#114 Dylan Cardwell

Just no traction with Josh Hall?

Just no traction with Josh Hall?
Honestly not sure, when asked about Tennessee watching him yesterday Lewis responded that they were there more for 2021 Carter Whitt who’s on Hall’s team.

Lewis said after Johnson he thinks the focus will be on a PG and a big, so it sounds like they aren’t really pressing there, but could also be there wasn’t much mutual interest either.

The interesting part is that Walker obviously is committed, Johnson comes off the board in 3 weeks, and then Springer and Hall become the focus...Cardwell and Hayes have both stated they’ll hold off until spring so it will allow Tennessee to really focus on Springer and Hall in the fall and then the other 2 after that.

Honestly not sure, when asked about Tennessee watching him yesterday Lewis responded that they were there more for 2021 Carter Whitt who’s on Hall’s team.

Lewis said after Johnson he thinks the focus will be on a PG and a big, so it sounds like they aren’t really pressing there, but could also be there wasn’t much mutual interest either.
While a tremendous talent, I’m happy to hear that the focus is shifting to more traditional players at those two positions of need. We are getting a bit of a glut at the SF position.

I wonder if the staff is selling Springer on the idea of playing PG? He seems like more of a combo guard, but at the NBA level, PG is probably his best option at his size. He seems to play quite a bit of PG for his AAU team.

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
Man this would be amazing. How do we feel about PJ Hall? We could really use another big.
I’ve made no secret about my affinity for Hall. He is one of my favorite players that we are in on. Has the scrappiness and hustle of Dane Bradshaw that our fan base will love, but is infinitely more talented, too. He can play inside on the block, but is a skilled ball-handler for his size and can shoot the 3, as well. If he goes to Florida, I will hate having to watch him play against us every year. He isn’t quite as big or strong as Kevin Love, but they have similar skill-sets.

Gary Parrish is at the Peach Jam, and he was told by someone in the know that Jaden Springer would like to play with Greg Brown in college. I believe Brown is from the Austin area, and the speculation was that his finalists were Texas, UNC, and Memphis.

Gary Parrish is at the Peach Jam, and he was told by someone in the know that Jaden Springer would like to play with Greg Brown in college. I believe Brown is from the Austin area, and the speculation was that his finalists were Texas, UNC, and Memphis.

That sounds more like one of those package deals that never materializes into anything...Brown is thought to be a strong Texas mean who obviously isn’t on Springer’s radar.

Four-star shooting guard Matthew Murrell has worked hard to become one of the top players in the country and now he's reaping the benefits. But, his focus remains on continuing to elevate his game and status. A native of Memphis who will spend his senior season at Bradenton (Fla.) IMG, the bouncy 6-foot-3 guard has earned offers from the likes of Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa State, Memphis, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. Even with all of those offers, Murrell is more concerned with keeping up the momentum that has allowed him to rise to No. 46 in the 2020 Rivals150. He feels he's backed the lofty ranking up but he's not satisfied. "Yeah, I feel like I've lived up to it but I'm still trying to rise. I'm never satisfied," Murrell told Rivals.com. "Like my shooting, I really tried to improve on my shooting over this past year because you always have to be able to make open shots. "I'm becoming a combo guard who can play the point and shooting guard and I'll need to do that in college."
So far, Murrell has been on the campuses of Memphis, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt and discussed each program. Memphis: "Penny (Hardway) has basically turned around the program. I mean they were able to get the No. 1 recruiting class this last year and they are looking to make runs this year." Mississippi: "It's a great atmosphere there. They are all about their sports." Vanderbilt: "(Jerry Stackhouse) basically told me that I'm their priority guy. I'm the type of person that he thinks can come in and turn around the program. It's something to think about because he has NBA experience and knows how to get to the next level."
It's not possible to discuss Murrell's recruitment without pointing out that Vanderbilt assistant Faragi Phillips coached Murrell at Memphis (Tenn.) Whitehaven and has history coaching in the Team Thad summer program. That connection could potentially pay dividends for the Commodores and Murrell is comfortable with him, but he said that Phillips' hiring in Nashville doesn't mean that his former player will follow. "Me and coach Phillips, we have a good relationship," said Murrell. "He's been coaching me for a long time but at the end of the day I want to go to the school who is going to prioritize me and put me in the best position to get to the next level and stay there." Murrell has yet to set any official visits and he says that he really hasn't channeled too much energy into his recruitment. When he does, it sounds like he's going to rely on his ability to detect who is being real with him and who isn't. "I'm trying to focus on my game," said Murrell. "I'm probably going to start locking in during the fall. "I'm looking for a school that is going to care for me and not just want me because of my ability, that is going to make me better as a person. You can tell when somebody is genuine about it and when they're not. You kind of just have the feeling."
-Rivals

Reactions: The Dog
Another kid, I would love to see in orange. Really like hearing Murrell working on his point guard skills and if he really means what his says in that last paragraph, I would think Barnes and UT would have to be at the top of his list. Gotta get him on campus, first

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Media here in Memphis is talking like Springer is all Memphis if Penny wants him. Just going mostly by the Commercial appeal interviews and player talks.

Another kid, I would love to see in orange. Really like hearing Murrell working on his point guard skills and if he really means what his says in that last paragraph, I would think Barnes and UT would have to be at the top of his list. Gotta get him on campus, first

Murrell gave a radio interview to Gary Parrish a week or so ago, and Trey Draper did the interview with him. Draper is on staff at IMG, went to Memphis, and his family has ties to Memphis all the way back to Larry Finch. Will be hard to get Murrell out of Memphis.

Murrell gave a radio interview to Gary Parrish a week or so ago, and Trey Draper did the interview with him. Draper is on staff at IMG, went to Memphis, and his family has ties to Memphis all the way back to Larry Finch. Will be hard to get Murrell out of Memphis.
We haven't been active in this recruitment for a while, it feels like.

The timing of this one seems odd to me

Thought so too, I mentioned I thought it could be related to Hall...other possibility would be they liked him and he has said he’s getting ready to cut down his list and start scheduling visits, maybe it was a now or never.

VN Store

Back