2020 Schedule Udates.

Rick Barnes still believes that the season will begin on time, but the oversight committee apparently supports tipping off on November 25th. There should be additional clarity provided on September 16th and I would be surprised if we didn't know the ultimate target start date before the end of September (if you're starting on November 10th, you need to be practicing by the end of this month so it'll be very obvious if that date is tenable in short order), though I am quite curious regarding what happens to the game in Madison and the Charleston Classic if the season doesn't start until closer to Thanksgiving and I have my doubts as to whether or not the Vols will end up playing Gonzaga at MSG this December.

Rick Barnes still believes that the season will begin on time, but the oversight committee apparently supports tipping off on November 25th. There should be additional clarity provided on September 16th and I would be surprised if we didn't know the ultimate target start date before the end of September (if you're starting on November 10th, you need to be practicing by the end of this month so it'll be very obvious if that date is tenable in short order), though I am quite curious regarding what happens to the game in Madison and the Charleston Classic if the season doesn't start until closer to Thanksgiving and I have my doubts as to whether or not the Vols will end up playing Gonzaga at MSG this December.
Thanks.

I don’t understand really what 10 extra days is going to do in regards to COVID-19 safety. My guess is we’ll lose the Wisconsin game and in its place will be some bubble tournament in either November or December plus a handful of Tennessee State style games before conference play.

I don’t understand really what 10 extra days is going to do in regards to COVID-19 safety. My guess is we’ll lose the Wisconsin game and in its place will be some bubble tournament in either November or December plus a handful of Tennessee State style games before conference play.

I believe it's because a majority of universities are completing their semester at Thanksgiving. That way, the basketball players can be in a kind of bubble while other students are home. Basketball players can then focus on basketball from late November to early January without school in session. I am pretty sure there is a number of power 5 coaches who are not interested in playing the "buy games" this year because the smaller schools can't guarantee testing, and it's not really a meaningful game.

Reactions: zaqhhh
I believe it's because a majority of universities are completing their semester at Thanksgiving. That way, the basketball players can be in a kind of bubble while other students are home. Basketball players can then focus on basketball from late November to early January without school in session. I am pretty sure there is a number of power 5 coaches who are not interested in playing the "buy games" this year because the smaller schools can't guarantee testing, and it's not really a meaningful game.
They’re on campus w everyone else now anyway. Don’t see what difference that makes. And if anything seems like it makes more sense to move the season earlier and not later.

I hadn't thought of that.

I have thought that it makes a lot of sense to wait until January to start. It seems that you might as well go ahead and play the whole season though, if you are going to start in November.

Despite what many in the medical profession are saying, I think this thing will be winding down by January, whether we get a vaccine or not - and I do think we will have it before the end of the year.

They’re on campus w everyone else now anyway. Don’t see what difference that makes. And if anything seems like it makes more sense to move the season earlier and not later.

It can make a difference when everyone leaves. You test your players once other students are gone, and then the basketball players only see each other.

I’m not trying to argue about it. Just trying to explain what their thinking is. Like I said, I think many P5 coaches aren’t interested in pre-conference buy games- just bubble type tournaments. The buy games are just for season ticket packages, and there probably won’t be many fans this year.

Looks as if the Charleston Classic and Jimmy V Classic, along with a significant number of other major tournaments (Champions Classic/Wooden Legacy/Preseason NIT), will be played in Orlando this year.

I'm thrilled that it appears that college basketball is going (relatively) full-steam ahead, but this is disappointing for those of us who planned on going to Charleston and NYC as I'm not too confident that there will be fans in attendance at any of these games. The writing has been on the wall for a while, of course, but it still kind of sucks!

Looks as if the Charleston Classic and Jimmy V Classic, along with a significant number of other major tournaments (Champions Classic/Wooden Legacy/Preseason NIT), will be played in Orlando this year.

I'm thrilled that it appears that college basketball is going (relatively) full-steam ahead, but this is disappointing for those of us who planned on going to Charleston and NYC as I'm not too confident that there will be fans in attendance at any of these games. The writing has been on the wall for a while, of course, but it still kind of sucks!
Yeah, I had loose plans to attend the Charleston Tournament, so that kinda stinks. Just glad it is going to hopefully be played.

No fans for college basketball will be weird. Teams feed off this momentum. But hey I’ll take it. I would be eternally sad if this Vols team didn’t get to play this year.
Im not sure there Wont be fans during conference play. I hate this craps though. I had made plans and reservations for Charleston.

VN Store

Back