2020 Schedule Udates.

I have no idea what Tennessee will do now without the bubble. Seems like the safest bet is to get in-state teams on the schedule for a November MTE with just D1 Tennessee schools. Maybe Tennessee, UTC, MTSU, and ETSU? 3 games in one week over Thanksgiving.

That's another way. I was under the impression there weren't going to be very many buy games. I was thinking that you could add more, but I would ask the SEC office to give every team 2 weeks off before the start of conference play in January. That way, no one is effected by anything in the non-conference schedule.

I have no idea what Tennessee will do now without the bubble. Seems like the safest bet is to get in-state teams on the schedule for a November MTE with just D1 Tennessee schools. Maybe Tennessee, UTC, MTSU, and ETSU? 3 games in one week over Thanksgiving.
As for state schools...
-Belmont was slated to play in the Orlando Invitational, so they're available now.
-Vanderbilt is in the Legends Classic which is still a go for now. I think they're trying to arrange a bubble-like tourney for that too, but reasonable chance that could get nixed like Orlando.
-UT Martin was going to compete in an on-campus game as part of the now-cancelled Cayman Islands Classic. Not sure if the on campus games will still get played or not? I'd guess the participating schools would just decide to keep them and have their own MTE
-ETSU got bumped out of the Cancun Challenge and are now in the Gulf Coast Showcase.
-MTSU is also scheduled to play in that
-Austin Peay is scheduled to play in the Islands of Bahamas Showcase which has been moved to Florida
-Tennessee State is in the Virginia Tech MTE
-Tennessee Tech and Chattanooga have already entered into an MTE arrangement with Northern Kentucky. This is scheduled after the Charleston classic, so maybe(?) these teams would be available to pair with Belmont for something Nov 19-22? I think the NCAA allows up to 2 sanctioned events per season?
-Lipscomb is in an MTE with Lamar, Tulane, and IUPUI
-Memphis is still scheduled to play in the Battle 4 Atlantis Sioux Falls

Not sure what the their schedules otherwise look like, but might be more difficult to get an MTE for the same time period we were supposed to play. Belmont is the only team available right now.

Last edited:
I'd guess we can find other schools who were supposed to be part of the Orlando Bubble to form our own MTE. Xavier, UC, and Dayton were all going to be part of it. I know Xavier and UC already play each other every year, but what's more of a good thing? Play it at US Bank Arena. That would be a great MTE.

I'd guess we can find other schools who were supposed to be part of the Orlando Bubble to form our own MTE. Xavier, UC, and Dayton were all going to be part of it. I know Xavier and UC already play each other every year, but what's more of a good thing? Play it at US Bank Arena. That would be a great MTE.
This would be awesome, but I have my doubts that we can pull this off with out of conference or out of state teams. It sounds like differing protocols ruined the Orlando tourney, so we would have to find teams with similar to same COVID rules and protocols as ours to make a round robin or a mini bubble work.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
This would be awesome, but I have my doubts that we can pull this off with out of conference or out of state teams. It sounds like differing protocols ruined the Orlando tourney, so we would have to find teams with similar to same COVID rules and protocols as ours to make a round robin or a mini bubble work.
As far as I could tell those are the only schools that are nearby and in the same state that were scheduled to play in Orlando. So think it could be more straightforward? Than others? I have no idea what the protocols are though

As for state schools...
-Belmont was slated to play in the Orlando Invitational, so they're available now.
-Vanderbilt is in the Legends Classic which is still a go for now. I think they're trying to arrange a bubble-like tourney for that too, but reasonable chance that could get nixed like Orlando.
-UT Martin was going to compete in an on-campus game as part of the now-cancelled Cayman Islands Classic. Not sure if the on campus games will still get played or not? I'd guess the participating schools would just decide to keep them and have their own MTE
-ETSU got bumped out of the Cancun Challenge and are now in the Gulf Coast Showcase.
-MTSU is also scheduled to play in that
-Austin Peay is scheduled to play in the Islands of Bahamas Showcase which has been moved to Florida
-Tennessee State is in the Virginia Tech MTE
-Tennessee Tech and Chattanooga have already entered into an MTE arrangement with Northern Kentucky. This is scheduled after the Charleston classic, so maybe(?) these teams would be available to pair with Belmont for something Nov 19-22? I think the NCAA allows up to 2 sanctioned events per season?
-Lipscomb is in an MTE with Lamar, Tulane, and IUPUI
-Memphis is still scheduled to play in the Battle 4 Atlantis Sioux Falls

Not sure what the their schedules otherwise look like, but might be more difficult to get an MTE for the same time period we were supposed to play. Belmont is the only team available right now.
I would be pleased with a Belmont/UTC/TN Tech round robin. UTC is probably the 3rd best team in the state, and Belmont will challenge for the conference title this year. TN Tech stinks, but oh well.

I would be pleased with a Belmont/UTC/TN Tech round robin. UTC is probably the 3rd best team in the state, and Belmont will challenge for the conference title this year. TN Tech stinks, but oh well.
No thanks. Just play the games that can still be played. They're already giving an extra year of eligibility, so why go through the trouble to make some nonsensical schedule against teams we were never slated to play (were we already playing any of those teams?)? The extent of efforts should be limited to tacking on already-scheduled games to the end of the regular season imo.

I'll be stoked for any bball, and I want the players to get all the reasonable opportunities to play.

As far as I could tell those are the only schools that are nearby and in the same state that were scheduled to play in Orlando. So think it could be more straightforward? Than others? I have no idea what the protocols are though
Same, I would think there would be somewhat regional similarities. Who knows though. I'm just hoping we have SOME pre-SEC basketball this season.

No thanks. Just play the games that can still be played. They're already giving an extra year of eligibility, so why go through the trouble to make some nonsensical schedule against teams we were never slated to play (were we already playing any of those teams?)? The extent of efforts should be limited to tacking on already-scheduled games to the end of the regular season imo.

I'll be stoked for any bball, and I want the players to get all the reasonable opportunities to play.
?? I think getting as many games as possible is best for everyone

I would take a Belmont/Chattanooga/East Tennessee State/Tennessee field if that could be arranged and the Gonzaga game gets cancelled.

I just want to see some Tennessee basketball in 2020.

I love the idea of a true Volunteer Classic with every D1 school in the state invited. UT, UTC, ETSU, MTSU, Vandy, Memphis, Belmont, and APSU would be awesome. Host in Knox or Nash.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
I love the idea of a true Volunteer Classic with every D1 school in the state invited. UT, UTC, ETSU, MTSU, Vandy, Memphis, Belmont, and APSU would be awesome. Host in Knox or Nash.
There are 12 instate D1 basketball programs. It would be cool to do a round robin opening period with 4 groups of 3 teams...

1.) Tennessee, ETSU, Tennessee Tech play each other in Knoxville
2.) Chattanooga, MTSU, Lipscomb play each other in Chattanooga
3.) Vanderbilt, Tennessee St. Belmont play each other in Nashville
4.) Memphis, Austin Peay, UT Martin play each other in Memphis

The winners of each pod advance to play in a 4-team tournament in Nashville @ Bridgestone Arena. You could even make a bubble and play all games in Bridgestone.

There are 12 instate D1 basketball programs. It would be cool to do a round robin opening period with 4 groups of 3 teams...

The winners of each pod advance to play in a 4-team tournament in Nashville @ Bridgestone Arena. You could even make a bubble and play all games in Bridgestone.

This is far better than my idea, which was to have an eight-team tournament in TBA to which Vandy/Memphis would not be invited out of spite.

This makes so much sense and is so perfect that it will never happen unfortunately.

I don’t think it’s a great idea to throw so many teams with various budgets for preventative measures into the same bowl of COVID soup. If the NCAA were to allow 26 games I think that a conference round robin schedule is a good plan. But that would require an early December start. Maybe a throw back to East/West divisions with 19 games is ideal with a couple of OOC games thrown in.

I don’t think it’s a great idea to throw so many teams with various budgets for preventative measures into the same bowl of COVID soup. If the NCAA were to allow 26 games I think that a conference round robin schedule is a good plan. But that would require an early December start. Maybe a throw back to East/West divisions with 19 games is ideal with a couple of OOC games thrown in.
You make the same rules agreed upon, those smaller schools are going to have to follow testing protocols regardless...if anything the bigger schools are wanting more lax protocols so they’d likely be able to meet in the middle with smaller schools.

That would be awesome!

I know it would be impossible to play every D1 team each year but it would be cool if each D1 TN team schedule X teams and keep a tally. Philly has the Big 5 and that is huge in that area. IMO, that would be cool for the state and help keep the in-state talent in TN.

Last edited:
Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back