2020 qb comparison/talk/debate (merged)

Once he got knocked out of Bama, I would have gone to JG/Shrout rotation. Going into Kentucky, I wouldn’t have started Maurer. If it wasn’t gonna be JG, go with Shrout. The tight leash they have him is really baffling. He got yanked vs UAB for throwing across his body one time.
i agree COMPLETELY!

Reactions: cgrish
That’s what people are missing here. If your coach doesn’t ALLOW you to get settled in, knock the rust off or finish a game THATS on HIM. No one has any idea what Maurer CAN be because CJP hasn’t ALLOWED him time to become what he’s capable of being.
Shame on Coach Pruitt for actually winning football games as opposed of what might supposedly happen had he done something differently.

Shame on Coach Pruitt for actually winning football games as opposed of what might supposedly happen had he done something differently.
You’ll feel differently when you're looking at another 6-6 or 7-5 season next year. In fact you SHOULD be looking at it that way NOW. Had Pruitt held a qb competition in the off season and ALLOWED BM to compete instead of publicly criticizing him there’s no doubt in my mind the game slows down for him by UF. The commentators were well aware of who the coaching staff thinks is the most talented qb and it wasn’t JG. I gotta be honest and tell you it was refreshing to hear the truth for once.

Man! The foolery he receives from some fans in here because he wins the best way we can instead of playing their guy is ridiculous! But let them tell it they're fans of the program. Sure u are

You’ll feel differently when you're looking at another 6-6 or 7-5 season next year. In fact you SHOULD be looking at it that way NOW. Had Pruitt held a qb competition in the off season and ALLOWED BM to compete instead of publicly criticizing him there’s no doubt in my mind the game slows down for him by UF. The commentators were well aware of who the coaching staff thinks is the most talented qb and it wasn’t JG. I gotta be honest and tell you it was refreshing to hear the truth for once.
now ur cousin cleo with all these damn predictions and speculations. we cant even enjoy tonight's win!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Once he got knocked out of Bama, I would have gone to JG/Shrout rotation. Going into Kentucky, I wouldn’t have started Maurer. If it wasn’t gonna be JG, go with Shrout. The tight leash they have him is really baffling. He got yanked vs UAB for throwing across his body one time.
you cant tell some folk that BM isnt the answer though

6 for 9 for 91 yards the last 2 drives and all done with toughness, not sure what more you'd want a QB to do.
5-8 in 1 drive against the prevent. You do realize they took the ball away from him our final offensive drive right...but its cool we won...we will win 7 or 8 games next year too. Itll be great

Always an excuse with you neverJG guys.
Were they in a prevent d that drive or not..? It was pointed out hy everyone, announcers included...he had 1 good drive. The team and defense won in spite of his horrid play...the fact you cant see that bbn speak volumes

Reactions: cgrish
Were they in a prevent d that drive or not..? It was pointed out hy everyone, announcers included...he had 1 good drive. The team and defense won in spite of his horrid play...the fact you cant see that bbn speak volumes
What was he supposed to do then, not throw the ball to the correct people in that situation?

you cant tell some folk that BM isnt the answer though

I’m not saying he isn’t the answer though. I just think at that moment in the season, Maurer coming back to start when he hasn’t played in 3 games wasn't right move. JG can play awful at times without having to look over his shoulder. JT literally made one bad play vs UAB that resulted in an incompletion and was benched for rest of season.

Well off season officially starts today to lets get started with a topic we will probably see 100 more threads on: Is JG the starting QB for 2020 ?

Why 'YES' : He is senior. He is experienced and seems like getting on same page with Chaney. JG has shown some nice deep ball skills and knows the playbooks, adjustments, checks better than others on the roster. We will be facing OU on the road early in the season and good to have an experienced QB.

Why 'NO' : He is inconsistent, almost bi-polar as QB. Still seems to miss wide open receivers on reads (saw miss two receivers that could have given us 1st down on third trip to red zone yesterday). We know his ceiling and its not very high.

I like the kid. Tough and gritty but I doubt he will take us past 8 wins.

Your thoughts ??

Well off season officially starts today to lets get started with a topic we will probably see 100 more threads on: Is JG the starting QB for 2020 ?

Why 'YES' : He is senior. He is experienced and seems like getting on same page with Chaney. JG has shown some nice deep ball skills and knows the playbooks, adjustments, checks better than others on the roster. We will be facing OU on the road early in the season and good to have an experienced QB.

Why 'NO' : He is inconsistent, almost bi-polar as QB. Still seems to miss wide open receivers on reads (saw miss two receivers that could have given us 1st down on third trip to red zone yesterday). We know his ceiling and its not very high.

Your thoughts ??

Harrison Bailey will be the starter. He's special.

Your thoughts ??

Year 3 is when I have always said Pruitt should really be judged fairly. After 2.5 seasons of JG, it is clear that Pruitt should not "hitch" his wagons to him in a year that we should make a jump.

Ideally, Maurer and JG have a competition and Maurer makes the jump that JG has not in 3 years.

Will be interesting to see if Maurer can bulk up after 2 offseasons in the S&C program.

I’ve seen enough from JG to be eager for something new. Not sold on any of them but have high hopes for HB. I’d expect Shrout to hit the portal soon and he might not be solo.

Reactions: savannahfan
I have tried to like JG....but the kid is just too inconsistent....and inaccurate...

I thought that Chaney adjusted to IU's defense too slow last night...
The Indiana coach made it clear that their plan on D was to "keep everything in front of them."
Chaney just failed to take advantage of those underneath throws in the first half and most of the 2nd half--especially in the red zone.

JG did have some open receivers in the red zone in the first half and failed to get 'em the ball where it could be caught.
Last night was JG's opportunity to shine.....and he just cannot do it consistently.
Time to move on.....and yes--I've flip-flopped on this during the season.
I honestly want to believe in him--but he is just too inconsistent to earn trust.

Bailey is an EE and they better work their collective butts off to get him ready to play as a FR.
I hope that Maurer stays, but if he doesn't, we will have a competition between Bailey, Shrout, and Hill.

GO VOLS.

I have tried to like JG....but the kid is just too inconsistent....and inaccurate...

I thought that Chaney adjusted to IU's defense too slow last night...
The Indiana coach made it clear that their plan on D was to "keep everything in front of them."
Chaney just failed to take advantage of those underneath throws in the first half and most of the 2nd half--especially in the red zone.

JG did have some open receivers in the red zone in the first half and failed to get 'em the ball where it could be caught.
Last night was JG's opportunity to shine.....and he just cannot do it consistently.
Time to move on.....and yes--I've flip-flopped on this during the season.
I honestly want to believe in him--but he is just too inconsistent to earn trust.

Bailey is an EE and they better work their collective butts off to get him ready to play as a FR.
I hope that Maurer stays, but if he doesn't, we will have a competition between Bailey, Shrout, and Hill.

GO VOLS.
A simple question: In what world can other SEC teams turn loose true freshmen / RS freshmen quarterbacks and roll with the punches, but for some reason it would be a world class sin for Tennessee to do it?

A simple question: In what world can other SEC teams turn loose true freshmen / RS freshmen quarterbacks and roll with the punches, but for some reason it would be a world class sin for Tennessee to do it?

Uh....I'm unsure of what you mean....but I think I agree with you starting BAILEY as a true FR....

I did say in my previous post that they "...better work their collective butts off getting Bailey ready to play as a True Freshman."

VN Store

Back