2020 qb comparison/talk/debate (merged)

You still cant get over QD beating out JG for the starting role.
If by beat out you mean "held the seat warm until JG learned the o more and was ready to to play," then no. No problem with it. JG won the job we he was ready and QD made a smart move and left.

Reactions: lexkyvol
This is easily the most irrelevant post in the history of this forum. "Oh, look, a quarterback we let transfer because he stunk is ranked lower than our current QB who many of us really wish would transfer so our offense next year isn't handcuffed by him."
Dormady time? Lulz Hater crybabies crying. Trashed Dobbs and praised Dormady. Typical hypocrisy.

59. QUINTEN DORMADY, CENTRAL MICHIGAN CHIPPEWAS
Year: Senior

After bouncing around from Tennessee to Houston then Central Michigan, Dormady finally got the starting job he wanted. But his 64.2 passing grade for the Chippewas explains why he didn't catch on as a starter earlier.

Bowl matchup: San Diego State in the New Mexico Bowl
What does this have to do with JG or Tennessee’s qb situation? QD wasn’t very good here, certainly wasn’t the answer.....neither is Guarantano imho.

So KB was throwing shade at JG?

All I did was post the Dormady ranking with no added comment.

I guess pFF was the one throwing shade. 🤷‍♂️

Saw the PFF twitter post, was curious where they had JG ranked, found it interesting, thought I’d share information about TENNESSEE’S quarterback, not Central Michigan's

Kinda puts your whole accuracy theory to poo

And he stated qualifying so BM and JT are not in the convo..

1. both Maurer and Shrout were significantly more inaccurate than JG like 11-12% worse
2. they used a very specific stat. You guys seem to be reading it as Passes beyond the line of scrimmage. It was specifically stated as PERFECT passes beyond the line of scrimmage. That's a very fuzzy stat to be tracking because its not just a reflection of actual physical accuracy. If a WR runs the wrong route or mistimes a cut on a timing route that can make a perfectly thrown pass look really bad. You have to understand its not a straightforward stat its a very advanced stat that is fairly meaningless on its own.

What does this have to do with JG or Tennessee’s qb situation? QD wasn’t very good here, certainly wasn’t the answer.....neither is Guarantano imho.
What does this have to do with Tennessee or the qb situation?

Nothing. Just a way to take a dig.

Its PRO potential, not college. This won't effect who starts or how they play in the bowl.

I thought you were just posting UT linked qbs rankings. That is all I did as well.

So . . .

reading through the actual article the author picks out an arbitrary stat to back up his viewpoint on each QB as opposed to comparing them all directly. For Dormandy he chose passing grade. In neither case does he give reference to what those stats actually entail. Dormady's QBR for the season was 60.5 His RTG was 146.9 so where does this pass rating come from? What scale is it on? Whats a good pass rating? To further demonstrate number 1 ranked QB he again uses pass rating I think he just calls it grade there but number 2 he uses passes beyond line of scrimmage (not perfect passes just passes) for QB number 3 he only mentions 40 times.

This looks like an arbitrary list the guy threw together. Interesting note the Indiana QB is ranked 36

Reactions: FLVOL_79
1. both Maurer and Shrout were significantly more inaccurate than JG like 11-12% worse
2. they used a very specific stat. You guys seem to be reading it as Passes beyond the line of scrimmage. It was specifically stated as PERFECT passes beyond the line of scrimmage. That's a very fuzzy stat to be tracking because its not just a reflection of actual physical accuracy. If a WR runs the wrong route or mistimes a cut on a timing route that can make a perfectly thrown pass look really bad. You have to understand its not a straightforward stat its a very advanced stat that is fairly meaningless on its own.
Maurer and JT in limited playing at times made throws which looked Manning-esqe. I have never seen JG complete 1 pass which reminded me of Manning.

You also understand it the accuracy stat that You're quoting is from a site that is less than 2 years old. I not actually valid it's of an opinion and has no definition on the website itself. So it could be 2 guys in their mamas basement decide whether or not a pass is accurate or not.

Reactions: 1vol8
reading through the actual article the author picks out an arbitrary stat to back up his viewpoint on each QB as opposed to comparing them all directly. For Dormandy he chose passing grade. In neither case does he give reference to what those stats actually entail. Dormady's QBR for the season was 60.5 His RTG was 146.9 so where does this pass rating come from? What scale is it on? Whats a good pass rating? To further demonstrate number 1 ranked QB he again uses pass rating I think he just calls it grade there but number 2 he uses passes beyond line of scrimmage (not perfect passes just passes) for QB number 3 he only mentions 40 times.

This looks like an arbitrary list the guy threw together. Interesting note the Indiana QB is ranked 36
Arbitrary or not the fact is our qb ranks in the bottom 3rd period he has no pro potential prospects as a red shirt junior for a power 5 conference that's pathetic. And considering that there are red shirt juniors that had worst seasons in smaller conferences that are getting more pro potential recognition that is a Huge red flag

What does this have to do with Tennessee or the qb situation?

Nothing. Just a way to take a dig.

Its PRO potential, not college. This won't effect who starts or how they play in the bowl.

I thought you were just posting UT linked qbs rankings. That is all I did as well.

So . . .
Take your dig all you want, I’m not concerned or interested with a journeyman qb who struggled at Central Michigan. What I’m concerned with is the future of Tennessee’s QB position and nobody paying attention can possibly believe that this team, this program can get to the championship level or make a huge stride towards that level next year, with Jarrett Guarantano playing quarterback for us.

This year JG had a higher floor because despite flashing during a great first half vs the best defense we played this year, Maurer couldn’t stay healthy and get on the field to get the time experience he needed to take the job. But make no mistake, Maurer has a much higher ceiling than Guarantano, we all saw it in spurts and we’ll see it in spades once Maurer gets another year with Chaney to learn the playbook and concepts Chaney runs. JG has been in college for 4 years, Maurer only a year.

And then there’s Bailey....

You also understand it the accuracy stat that You're quoting is from a site that is less than 2 years old. I not actually valid it's of an opinion and has no definition on the website itself. So it could be 2 guys in their mamas basement decide whether or not a pass is accurate or not.

You could say this, that’s fine. But then you watch the games and watch JG throw the ball and his bsll placements other than his back shoulder throws and you quickly see that the stat very likely is valid.

You could say this, that’s fine. But then you watch the games and watch JG throw the ball and his bsll placements other than his back shoulder throws and you quickly see that the stat very likely is valid.
I don't think JG is very accurate. I think The accuracy stat that they keep throwing out there is inflated greatly. Due to his completion percentage. I believe most of his throws behind the receiver And not what I would call within a catch radius. He very rarely maybe 4 times every 2 games hits a receiver in stride or in the chest if they're not standing still. If you watch his highlights a lot of his highlights are sit down routes and curl routes where JG doesn't have to hit a moving target

Maurer and JT in limited playing at times made throws which looked Manning-esqe. I have never seen JG complete 1 pass which reminded me of Manning.
I want some of what you were smoking.. both of them completed under 49% of their passes. Maurer threw 1 less int than JG in 1/3 the attempts Jag also threw 4x as many yards in only 4 times as many attempts. He has better stats than them in EVERY stat and its not even close. Just because a kid comes in and throws on nice pass does not excuse the fact the other 10 he threw were terrible. I think it hilarious how someone will pull up tape of their guy completing one pass in a way they call great ignore all his bad ones and do the exact opposite to JG. He threw just as many good passes as either of them and LESS bad passes that's period point blank. Funny Stat Maurers BEST game is worse than JG's average. These are facts, not opinion. I watched all the same games as everyone else and people were seeing ghosts.

How many games did Maurer or Shrout win? ZERO Maurer only threw for TD's in a loss to UGA he rushed for one against UTC which played no role in the win and one in a loss to Bama. Every game we won we won on JG's watch.

I want some of what you were smoking.. both of them completed under 49% of their passes. Maurer threw 1 less int than JG in 1/3 the attempts Jag also threw 4x as many yards in only 4 times as many attempts. He has better stats than them in EVERY stat and its not even close. Just because a kid comes in and throws on nice pass does not excuse the fact the other 10 he threw were terrible. I think it hilarious how someone will pull up tape of their guy completing one pass in a way they call great ignore all his bad ones and do the exact opposite to JG. He threw just as many good passes as either of them and LESS bad passes that's period point blank. Funny Stat Maurers BEST game is worse than JG's average. These are facts, not opinion. I watched all the same games as everyone else and people were seeing ghosts.

How many games did Maurer or Shrout win? ZERO Maurer only threw for TD's in a loss to UGA he rushed for one against UTC which played no role in the win and one in a loss to Bama. Every game we won we won on JG's watch.
OK K town junior. Explain to us why JG had worse stats versus top 25 teams then Brian our did against same teams in his 1st 3 freaking starts???

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

Every QB on UT's roster will run circles around JG during their careers either at UT or elsewhere.

Lol, this is a ridiculous take.

VN Store

Back