2020 MLB Draft

Choosing to sign professionally out of hs is a choice of baseball over education not the other way around. It’s an alarming stat and I don’t recall the exact number but iirc it’s over 90% of hs kids that sign to play professional Baseball never get their college degrees even if it’s paid for. That’s why the owners of Mlb are willing to offer that due to them knowing very few kids ever use it

the 20k is a one time payment and after taxes it’s barely over 10k.

I get what your saying but how long is the contract and is the scholarship tuition only or a full ride?

Good question

Not sure I know the answer but I’d guess after 1 year

Play one season of Rookie ball and get $20k plus $1500 a month during that season and then free tuition.
That's a better deal than a lot of college players get.

Even though it's not guaranteed, there has to be a longer contract for many of these guys. They're not giving Crochet $4 million and let him walk away after one year if he decides he wants to be a nuclear engineer.

Play one season of Rookie ball and get $20k plus $1500 a month during that season and then free tuition.
That's a better deal than a lot of college players get.

Even though it's not guaranteed, there has to be a longer contract for many of these guys. They're not giving Crochet $4 million and let him walk away after one year if he decides he wants to be a nuclear engineer.

Take your pick.

1) 4 year career in the minors with 20k signing bonus and 1200 a month for 6 months of the year.
That’s 12,200 a year before taxes living with 4 others players sleeping on floors in ****** apartments.

Or

2) college life with great coaches, great facilities, getting a college education, Traveling and staying in nice hotels, and getting stipends for extra
Food all the long the way and I didn’t mention the coeds or mention the possibility of developing into a draft that gets some real signing bonus down the road.

the choice is easy for most

Reactions: Yanks24 and txbo
Take your pick.

1) 4 year career in the minors with 20k signing bonus and 1200 a month for 6 months of the year.
That’s 12,200 a year before taxes living with 4 others players sleeping on floors in ****** apartments.

Or

2) college life with great coaches, great facilities, getting a college education, Traveling and staying in nice hotels, and getting stipends for extra
Food all the long the way and I didn’t mention the coeds or mention the possibility of developing into a draft that gets some real signing bonus down the road.

the choice is easy for most

I agree. That choice is easy but that's a 4 year commitment.

If college is more important than ball and it's a one season commitment it would be different.

Graduate high school, get drafted, play a short season of rookie ball, enroll in school for the fall with free tuition.

I agree. That choice is easy but that's a 4 year commitment.

If college is more important than ball and it's a one season commitment it would be different.

Graduate high school, get drafted, play a short season of rookie ball, enroll in school for the fall with free tuition.

Under a normal year signing for 20k isn’t bad for a college junior but this isn’t a normal year. Next year he gets 125k for sure imo

My way to early guess on weekend rotation is. Leath, Sewell and Dallas. Hunley 1st weapon out of the pen. The amount of bullpen arms they will throw out will just be absurd.

He’s a 125k arm at worst next year.

That 20k is a signing bonus and now he’s going to make 12-1500 a month for only the season
Agree 100%!!! Read between-the-lines, no way he wanted to go back and play for UT. Worth way more than 20K.

The education incentive is negotiated and taxed. It is equal to however many years you had left to graduate at the amount that it costs for full expenses (room and board) at the college you were attending or signed NLI with. So if Chase or any UT player took the education incentive it would be worth about $27,000 pre-taxes for 1 year. Has 10 years to use it or lose it and has to be used for school. If you don't use it you still pay taxes on it.

The education incentive is negotiated and taxed. It is equal to however many years you had left to graduate at the amount that it costs for full expenses (room and board) at the college you were attending or signed NLI with. So if Chase or any UT player took the education incentive it would be worth about $27,000 pre-taxes for 1 year. Has 10 years to use it or lose it and has to be used for school. If you don't use it you still pay taxes on it.
If I’m not mistaken, that only applies to drafted players and not FA. As a FA, college $$$ has to be negotiated which is what a lot of teams are doing now.

Under a normal year signing for 20k isn’t bad for a college junior but this isn’t a normal year. Next year he gets 125k for sure imo
Has MLB decided the rules for the 2021 draft? All I've heard is it will be a 20 round draft.

There's also a chance a player will sign because their grades may not be so good, putting their ability to play in doubt. (I do NOT know this to be the case for any Tennessee player, so no one should misinterpret this).

Reactions: txbo and BruinVol
There's also a chance a player will sign because their grades may not be so good, putting their ability to play in doubt. (I do NOT know this to be the case for any Tennessee player, so no one should misinterpret this).
TV has an excellent person who handles the team, she was with him at Missouri and Serrano brought her in. The professors really like her and no one on this was in trouble. They also had a 3.32 GPA per a post on Twitter. Unless the engineers picked up a slacker!

Reactions: @1RBFjr
Stupid, WTF are these kids doing, he must have had no guidance and where was his coach.

I'm sure he was drafted in the 3rd round because he agreed, beforehand, to sign for $20K so the team, the Mets in this instance, could save bonus money in order to sign 2nd round pick J.T. Ginn. Those type of deals have always been made. Just in the past, with a 40 round draft, a team could what longer , rounds 7,8,9,10, before making those kind of selections. And it's highly likely that if the player in question doesn't make this deal would have been undrafted and probably not signed as a UDFA.

Happy for him.

At least with the Astros he will know what pitch is coming.

LMAO!
My daughter was working for the Dodgers in 2017 and is pissed about the scandal. I happen to be neighbors with Josh Reddick. Every time I drive by his house with my daughter in the car, she tells me to pull over so she can beat on his garbage can.

VN Store

Back