2020 Lady Vols Softball

UTKVolsfan2013

Well...it really sucks being in this spot again.

A very bitter and unfortunate end to the season in the Super Regionals. Unfortunate we had to deal with so many injuries in the 2019 season that caused lineup shifts galore and we had to face a pitcher who can do whatever she wants with no consequence...but the future is very bright for Tennessee softball. No. 1 ranked recruiting class that fills a lot of needs (right-handed batters to be specific), fully-healthy Ally Shipman and Gracie Osbron, and Caylan Arnold and Ashley Rogers both ended the season looking better than ever. Here's a very early look at 2020 for Tennessee softball:

Losses (with no offseason transfers): Aubrey Leach, Haley Bearden, Matty Moss, Katie Weimer, Savannah Hufstetler

Additions: Amanda Curran (UT/P; No. 46 FS Hot 100), Anna Fox (SS/OF), Anna Hazlewood (P/1B), Caitlyn McCrary (3B, No. 54 FS Hot 100), KiKi Milloy (OF/P, No. 2 FS Hot 100), Callie Turner (LHP, No. 14 FS Hot 100), Madison Webber (1B/OF, No. 27 FS Hot 100), Josie Willingham (SS/C, No. 79 FS Hot 100)

Looking at the 2020 lineup there's a lot of competition that will happen and we could see a balanced lineup of leftys and rightys:

1. Kaitlin Parsons-2B (L)
2. Kiki Milloy- RF/CF (R)
3. Chelsea Seggern-3B (L)
4. Ally Shipman-C (R)
5. Ashley Morgan-1B (L)
6. Kalei Phillips-DP (R)
7. Gracie Osbron-SS (R)
8. Cailin Hannon-CF/RF (L)
9. Jenna Holcomb-LF (L)

Alternates: Amanda Ayala-OF (L), Madison Webber 1B/OF (L), Amanda Curran-UT (R), Josie Willingham-SS (R), Madison Pacini-OF/C (R), Caitlyn McCrary-3B (R)

Pitchers:
Ashley Rogers (R)
Caylan Arnold (R)
Callie Turner (L)
Kiki Milloy (R)
Amanda Curran (R)
Anna Hazlewood (R)

With a solid amount of pitching and hitting returning, I think 2020 could be the year you see Tennessee turn into a more power hitting team and see them take their rightful place in OKC.

Last edited:
Well...it really sucks being in this spot again.

A very bitter and unfortunate end to the season in the Super Regionals. Unfortunate we had to deal with so many injuries in the 2019 season that caused lineup shifts galore and we had to face a pitcher who can do whatever she wants with no consequence...but the future is very bright for Tennessee softball. No. 1 ranked recruiting class that fills a lot of needs (right-handed batters to be specific), fully-healthy Ally Shipman and Gracie Osbron, and Caylan Arnold and Ashley Rogers both ended the season looking better than ever. Here's a very early look at 2020 for Tennessee softball:

Losses (with no offseason transfers): Aubrey Leach, Haley Bearden, Matty Moss, Katie Weimer, Savannah Hufstetler

Additions: Amanda Curran (UT/P; No. 46 FS Hot 100), Anna Fox (SS/OF), Anna Hazlewood (P/1B), Caitlyn McCrary (3B, No. 54 FS Hot 100), KiKi Milloy (OF/P, No. 2 FS Hot 100), Callie Turner (LHP, No. 14 FS Hot 100), Madison Webber (1B/OF, No. 27 FS Hot 100), Josie Willingham (SS/C, No. 79 FS Hot 100)

Looking at the 2020 lineup there's a lot of competition that will happen and we could see a balanced lineup of leftys and rightys:

1. Kaitlin Parsons-2B (L)
2. Kiki Milloy- RF/CF (R)
3. Chelsea Seggern-3B (L)
4. Ally Shipman-C (R)
5. Ashley Morgan-1B (L)
6. Kalei Phillips-DP (R)
7. Gracie Osbron-SS (R)
8. Cailin Hannon-CF/RF (L)
9. Jenna Holcomb-LF (L)

Alternates: Amanda Ayala-OF (L), Madison Webber 1B/OF (L), Amanda Curran-UT (R), Josie Willingham-SS (R), Madison Pacini-OF/C (R), Caitlyn McCrary-3B (R)

Pitchers:
Ashley Rogers (R)
Caylan Arnold (R)
Callie Turner (L)
Kiki Milloy (R)
Amanda Curran (R)
Anna Hazlewood (R)

With a solid amount of pitching and hitting returning, I think 2020 could be the year you see Tennessee turn into a more power hitting team and see them take their rightful place in OKC.

I missed the game today. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Can you elaborate on the pitcher that can do whatever she wants comment? Also is Ally, Madison Shipman's sister?

Thanks,

I watched just about every game this year that was available to be watched, and I saw a lot of other teams play too, which gives me some perspective. Ally Shipman getting knocked out hurt the LVs in many ways, not the least of which was forcing Leach to move to ss. Of course , I would have preferred to win every game, but I still enjoyed the season and believe the players gave it their all. As for the coaching, those folks know vastly more about it than I do, so I am happy to let them make the decisions. Frankly, I don't understand all the negativity on this board. After all, it is just a game. Looking forward to a fine season again next year. Go Lady Vols.

One injury-- Ally Shipman. Phillips was able to slide in and cover that position, with Weimer as an experienced alternative. Osbron was recruited for SS; she has a great arm and playing her there would have kept Leach at 2B. The constant shuffling was an attempt to find hitters; getting Parsons in the lineup shifted Leach. The LVs have a lineup of lefty slappers who had trouble getting on base and a dearth of timely hitting to move runners and drive in runs. It was a problem last year that worsened after Gregg graduated. We need power hitters and a hitting coach. It's unfortunate that the NCAA voted against a third paid assistant coach.

Barnhill didn't manhandle us this weekend. Our pitchers gave her tit for tat. The LVs have been hitting poorly for months. Maybe the incoming FR will help-- but it's tough to rely too much on FR.

Speaking on pitchers (all softball pitchers, including ours).
I wish the NCAA would require some days between outings and maybe the number of pitches per game. The idea of a pitcher throwing 125+ pitches in a game and coming back the next day and doing the same or more, just doesn't help the development of the game. Wonder how many kids are sitting and watching game after game that might be really good given some time on the field. Being able to "ride" on pitcher all the way to the championship just doesn't seem right to me. (we did this some years back can't remember her name, think she lost to a girl from AZ. or AZ. ST. who her team rode all the way also.)

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
^^ I have never seen a more dominant pitcher than Monica Abbott in women's softball. Her pitches were overpowering and she was physically dominant (very tall). Tennessee literally rode her arm into the College World Series. If we had been more supportive with runs Tennessee would have a college world series title.

Speaking on pitchers (all softball pitchers, including ours).
I wish the NCAA would require some days between outings and maybe the number of pitches per game. The idea of a pitcher throwing 125+ pitches in a game and coming back the next day and doing the same or more, just doesn't help the development of the game. Wonder how many kids are sitting and watching game after game that might be really good given some time on the field. Being able to "ride" on pitcher all the way to the championship just doesn't seem right to me. (we did this some years back can't remember her name, think she lost to a girl from AZ. or AZ. ST. who her team rode all the way also.)

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'doesn't help the development of the game'. You think it's unfair that a team with a dominant pitcher can use her every day - and having an innings or pitch limit would allow teams without 1 dominant pitcher to be more competitive? Or do you mean if more pitchers were required to be used eventually overall pitching would improve? Or do you mean strictly a participation thing, like Little League, and since a player signed up they should be allowed to play a certain number of innings? Or something else?

Reactions: savannahfan
I’m sure they’ll be Top 10-15 all year. Second or third best team in the conference. Lose inexplicably in the SEC Tourney.

Bounce back to win Regionals. Play their asses off and lose to Alabama or Oklahoma in Supers. So it goes.

Reactions: TJVol95
I caught the last inning. Seems like poor coaching to not intentionally walk that last UF batter with first base open.

Why? Hoover was 0 for 3 with 3 strikeouts in the game. Reynoso was on deck - she already had a hit and an RBI in the game and she hadn't struck out once in the series. If you load the bases you add the pressure of possibly walking or hitting the batter and forcing in the winning run. Power doesn't factor into it, any hit wins the game. What do you gain by walking a batter who has looked like crap all day to get to the batter with the only RBI?

For what it's worth it seems like this class is mainly about power. Kiki Milloy, Caitlyn McCrary, and Madison Webber all have some serious power numbers in high school. From Maxpreps, Milloy has 16 HR in only 25 games played. Also watch out for Josie Willingham, who might challenge Gracie Osbron at shortstop.

I watched just about every game this year that was available to be watched, and I saw a lot of other teams play too, which gives me some perspective. Ally Shipman getting knocked out hurt the LVs in many ways, not the least of which was forcing Leach to move to ss. Of course , I would have preferred to win every game, but I still enjoyed the season and believe the players gave it their all. As for the coaching, those folks know vastly more about it than I do, so I am happy to let them make the decisions. Frankly, I don't understand all the negativity on this board. After all, it is just a game. Looking forward to a fine season again next year. Go Lady Vols.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

TN may have been pitching around Hoover. She is a tough out in the clutch. The ball she it was low,lower than her knees. It was out of the strike zone. A walk gives you a force out at any base and you take your chances with Reynoso perhaps with a drawn in outfield. Remember, a sharp single to right could be thrown out at first. I know, Reynoso has speed. Rogers has speed. Depending on the coach's choice in pitches, I take my chances.

One injury-- Ally Shipman. Phillips was able to slide in and cover that position, with Weimer as an experienced alternative. Osbron was recruited for SS; she has a great arm and playing her there would have kept Leach at 2B. The constant shuffling was an attempt to find hitters; getting Parsons in the lineup shifted Leach. The LVs have a lineup of lefty slappers who had trouble getting on base and a dearth of timely hitting to move runners and drive in runs. It was a problem last year that worsened after Gregg graduated. We need power hitters and a hitting coach. It's unfortunate that the NCAA voted against a third paid assistant coach.

Barnhill didn't manhandle us this weekend. Our pitchers gave her tit for tat. The LVs have been hitting poorly for months. Maybe the incoming FR will help-- but it's tough to rely too much on FR.
I saw every game as well that was available as well as hundreds of other games. AR did all she can do and did it well the majority of the time. CA finally came around during the tourney and pitched like she has in her career. Her lack of doing well hurt us badly. MM is MM and has done pretty well in her career and her fire helped this club a lot. Overall the pitching was a smidgen above average as a whole .
Our defense was pretty good considering they drew straws since Ally went down and played wherever the whim was. Holcomb is a great outfielder . CH a good centerfielder who can take bad angles and look badly at times. RF is there for the taking next year assuming someone can hit. Parsons basically took second base until somebody outhits her. I think CS is locked at 3rd because of her defense like Holcomb is in Left. Ally is solid at catcher but SS is up for grabs by anyone who can hit and I am not sure the Osbron can consistently. Morgan is our best 1baseman but he has to hit .
In most cases our hitting not our pitching has completely fell apart. I guess the coaches tell every batter to take for sure one pitch down the middle and swing at something and watch the 3rd strike. This has been going on a while but was worse this year than I ever remember. When you give up at least two out every game by stepping out of the box you start out behind. Alabama is the only other team i remember to do it as much as we do. If India cant stop it and Ralph will not there has to be something internal. I AGREE WE NEED A FULL TIME HITTING COACH THAT CAN TEACH HITTING!!
Our coaching has had many hiccups this year and our base running has been atrocious. The Weeklys has won and coached more than anyone on this board but some adjustments need to be made. Often we look un prepared and un motivated from the git go. All this is just my humble opinion and nothing else at all!

Reactions: skclark
^^ I have never seen a more dominant pitcher than Monica Abbott in women's softball. Her pitches were overpowering and she was physically dominant (very tall). Tennessee literally rode her arm into the College World Series. If we had been more supportive with runs Tennessee would have a college world series title.
Don't this poster sound just like we are now 20 years later!!! More runs which means more hitters!!!

For what it's worth it seems like this class is mainly about power. Kiki Milloy, Caitlyn McCrary, and Madison Webber all have some serious power numbers in high school. From Maxpreps, Milloy has 16 HR in only 25 games played. Also watch out for Josie Willingham, who might challenge Gracie Osbron at shortstop.

I wouldn’t put much stock into high school numbers! I believe Milloy is from the state of Washington. Not exactly a softball juggernaut state!

But a whole team of slappers? No we need some power hitters as well.

Tennessee does not have “a whole team of slappers.”

Tennessee started only two true slappers in most games, Parsons and Holcomb. Even then, more than half of Parsons’ hits came when her feet were still, swinging away.

Leach was similar, but the majority of her hits came when she was either swinging away (with her feet stationary) or laying down a true bunt, also with her feet stationary.

Hannon has not been a slapper the last two years.

As far as power, if Shipman had not gone down, the lineup would have featured her, Phillips and Osbron from the right side and Seggern, Bearden and Morgan from the left side. That’s six hitters capable of putting it out every time, which I consider pretty formidable. I also believe that Seggern would have seen better pitches with Shipman behind her in the order and Morgan and Phillips would have benefitted greatly hitting behind her. Not an excuse, but saying Tennessee was all slappers and no power is completely inaccurate.

VN Store

Back