2020-21 Schedule

Thunder Good-Oil

Nov 11, 2020: @ Wisconsin

Nov 19: TBD (Thursday)
Nov 20: TBD (Friday)
Nov 22: TBD (Sunday)
Charleston Classic - Houston, FSU, Seton Hall, VCU, Ok State, Penn State, College of Charleston, TN

Dec 8 (?): Gonzaga @ MSG NYC Jimmy V Classic (Tuesday?)

Early Dec 2020: George Washington @ the TBA

Mid Dec 2020: Cincinnati @ the TBA

Mid Dec 2020: Memphis in Nashville

Late Jan 2021: Big 12 Challenge Kansas (or TX Tech/West Virginia) @ the TBA (if KU)

============================

The schedule is not released yet, but the Basilio blog today (5/12/2020) lists some matchups:

@ Wisconsin is season opener on Wednesday November 11.

Tournament in Charleston weekend before Thanksgiving: Houston, FSU, Seton Hall, VCU, Ok State, Penn State, College of Charleston, TN (3 opponents - games on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday)

A home game with George Washington in Knoxville in early December.

Cincinnati at home and Memphis in Nashville in mid December.

Home game in Big 12 Challenge in late January against one of Kansas/TX Tech/West Virginia who are all likely preseason top 15. The word on the street is that Tennessee probably will play Kansas in Knoxville.

Last edited:
Great schedule unless you think we have a fragile minded team.

I love it

I prefer that the young players ease into high level competition while building their confidence and getting oriented. I want to log no more than 2 loses going into the conference schedule to increase the odds of ensuring an NCAAT bid. Have fun spinning that into they're a "fragile minded team" from your mommy's basement, Big Boi.

It's not released yet, but the Basilio blog today lists some matchups:

@ Wisconsin is season opener on Wednesday November 11.

Tournament in Charleston weekend before Thanksgiving: Houston, FSU, Seton Hall, VCU, Ok State, Penn State, College of Charleston, TN (3 opponents - games onThursday, Friday, and Sunday)

A home game with George Washington in Knoxville in early December.

Cincinnati at home and Memphis in Nashville in mid December.

Home game in Big 12 Challenge in late January against one of Kansas/TX Tech/West Virginia who are all likely preseason top 15. The word on the street is that Tennessee probably will play Kansas in Knoxville.
Did Basilio say he heard it was Kansas or is that what you heard from somewhere else?

Playing a program like Kansas is always great. I’d prefer Texas to the other schools. Would be great for Barnes to beat what will probably be Shaka’s most highly touted team.

Reactions: berryvol
Did Basilio say he heard it was Kansas or is that what you heard from somewhere else?

Playing a program like Kansas is always great. I’d prefer Texas to the other schools. Would be great for Barnes to beat what will probably be Shaka’s most highly touted team.

It's pretty much direct quotes from Basilio's blog today (but from one of his contributing writers, not TB). I only added CoC and the 3 games in 4 days comment to the November tournament section.

Wow, when was the last time Tennessee opened up a season on the road? In a true road game, no less?

I prefer that the young players ease into high level competition while building their confidence and getting oriented. I want to log no more than 2 loses going into the conference schedule to increase the odds of ensuring an NCAAT bid. Have fun spinning that into they're a "fragile minded team" from your mommy's basement, Big Boi.

I don’t have to spin anything.
You say your opinion perfectly here where you say you are worried about this teams confidence.

We need some easier match ups early to let the freshmen get oriented without disrupting their confidence. 2021 would be a better time for this.

I think if anything this team will need to take some early losses to get their attention. Losses will be good For the future imo

Road openers over the last 64 years:
Xavier ‘13 L 63-67
Rutgers ‘92 W 87-79
Chattanooga ‘82 W 55-49
Purdue ‘81 L 68-82
Auburn ‘80 L 65-75
Louisville ‘78 L 61-82
Duke ‘75 W 86-80
Houston ‘71 L 65-67
South Carolina ‘69 W 55-54
Michigan ‘65 L 63-71
NC State ‘61 L 64-71
West Virginia ‘59 L 78-93
Furman ‘56 W 114-106

I don’t have to spin anything.
You say your opinion perfectly here where you say you are worried about this teams confidence.

I think if anything this team will need to take some early losses to get their attention. Losses will be good For the future imo

"Fragile minded team" is your spin. So is my being "worried".

1980 is the only time we’ve opened with a conference game. In ‘69 USC was still in the ACC. There were two SEC opening matchups. Florida and Mississippi St played in the other one. We lost to a terrible Auburn team but went on to a 21-8 record and made the sweet 16 as a 4 seed

I never said "worried".

Why are you always so compelled to be a troll and hijack threads with your DH comments?
lol

There is zero reason to even mention the confidence level of this team and how a tough schedule might hurt them.. Their confidence is going to be sky high the same place expectations will be. Barnes is going to need to keep them grounded and some early season losses wouldn’t be all bad

lol

There is zero reason to even mention the confidence level of this team and how a tough schedule might hurt them.. Their confidence is going to be sky high the same place expectations will be. Barnes is going to need to keep them grounded and some early season losses wouldn’t be all bad

I never said that a "tough schedule" was bad. That's more of your spin. I said that they need to ease into the schedule and need to rack up a lot of wins. Confidence is absolutely something to manage when the most talented players on the roster are teenagers.

Try to stay on topic instead of trolling. I know that it's hard for you.

I never said that a "tough schedule" was bad. That's more of your spin. I said that they need to ease into the schedule and need to rack up a lot of wins. Confidence is absolutely something to manage when the most talented players on the roster are teenagers.

Try to stay on topic instead of trolling. I know that it's hard for you.

So to be clear are you glad we are going on the road to play Wisconsin to start the
Year?

or should we have waited until 2021 for that and played some easier Match ups to open the year ??

Last edited:
Road openers over the last 64 years:
Xavier ‘13 L 63-67
Rutgers ‘92 W 87-79
Chattanooga ‘82 W 55-49
Purdue ‘81 L 68-82
Auburn ‘80 L 65-75
Louisville ‘78 L 61-82
Duke ‘75 W 86-80
Houston ‘71 L 65-67
South Carolina ‘69 W 55-54
Michigan ‘65 L 63-71
NC State ‘61 L 64-71
West Virginia ‘59 L 78-93
Furman ‘56 W 114-106
We haven't exactly fared well in these type games. 5-8 overall.

So to be clear are you glad we are going on the road to play Wisconsin to start the
Year?

or should we have waited until 2021 for that and played some easier Match ups to open the year ??

Didn’t figure I’d get an answer but then again he’s already answered it and trying desperately to walk it back

Didn’t figure I’d get an answer but then again he’s already answered it and trying desperately to walk it back

No, I'm just not feeding the board troll. More BS spin from you though.

You've also edited your question, so who's walking something back?

No, I'm just not feeding the board troll. More BS spin from you though.

You've also edited your question, so who's walking something back?

Lol
go ahead and let us know where you stand

Year?

or should we have waited until 2021 for that and played some easier Match ups to open the year

it’s ok to say that you changed your mind. Really it is especially since your first take was dumb and short sighted about this group of talented players we have on this team.

200310MBB_1028_Team_71.jpg

Not sure I can take losing to these guys two years in a row. We'll have to show up ready to play. Their website lists none of the 2019-2020 team as seniors, so I'm not sure how many players they are going to be losing

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back