2019 Vols Basketball #21 Recruiting Class in the Nation!

Boy you guys sure seem to believe in this roster.

I hope they surprise me but we have to remember we're a below average program historically and we just lost our 3 best players.

Our starting 5 right now looks to be James,Turner,Bowden,Fulkerson,and Burns with Johnson,Pons, and Kent as our top backups.

If that team wins 20 Rick Barnes will have earned his 5 million.

Meanwhile Memphis is recruiting like Kentucky...
One 5 five star, three 4 stars, and two 3 stars (one who is top 150)

I think we’ll be just fine.

We can be better than this.

As soon as we start getting outclassed by a fellow in-state institution, we cry foul? It's a bad look for Vols fans but unfortunately prevalent and predictable. When things start looking imperfect, we blame someone else. I see over and over again.

Shameful. Absolute crying shameful.
But typical of this forum.
Penny had a really strong relationship with Wiseman (#1 player) and that was the catalyst.
Instead of critiquing Barnes inability to recruit like he should they attack someone else. Penny has signed more top players in one year than Barnes has in five. Memphis wasn’t exactly an easy situation to step into either.

But typical of this forum.
Penny had a really strong relationship with Wiseman (#1 player) and that was the catalyst.
Instead of critiquing Barnes inability to recruit like he should they attack someone else. Penny has signed more top players in one year than Barnes has in five. Memphis wasn’t exactly an easy situation to step into either.
A little premature? Howland out recruited Barnes too, but what's he got to show for it. and he's 6-4 against Cal.

Last edited:
A little premature? Howland out recruited Barnes too, but what's he got to show for it. and he's 6-4 against Cal.
Shut up with that noise. That doesn't fit the anti-Barnes narrative.

"Typical of this forum" equates to handful of emotional posters who post the first thought that pops into their head without considering all the factors in certain scenarios, such as Penny having a significantly recognizable name and close relationships with many of the kids he's landed, Mike Miller having relationships on the AAU circuit, having a former NBA COY on his bench, etc.

"Typical of this forum" also equates finding any reason to pull Barnes into the equation to find reason to stone him. Roust falls into that army of posters. Of course, his defense of that is that is, "Gee, you can't trash Barnes without being accused of trashing Barnes," and he somehow wonders why he gets called on his BS.

And Howland should be extra criticized for it.
Just as Barnes should be commended for the results he’s achieved. Still Barnes achievement doesn’t excuse some pretty questionable recruiting.
It’s not as if UT hired a nobody. You’d think Barnes’ equity would have had a greater impact when he arrived, but it had none.

Just as Barnes should be commended for the results he’s achieved. Still Barnes achievement doesn’t excuse some pretty questionable recruiting.
It’s not as if UT hired a nobody. You’d think Barnes’ equity would have had a greater impact when he arrived, but it had none.
Have to agree with you on the last part. Thought top recruits would be easier because of the name. didn't happen.

In other words, Barnes has won plenty, but I'm just outraged by the players he did it with. Makes sense.

Have to agree with you on the last part. Thought top recruits would be easier because of the name. didn't happen.
Looking at who they’ve pursued it’s not that surprising imo...they weren’t going to jeopardize talent for character, especially early on, Ziti and I had this argument a lot early on if you look at the Top 100 players there are only so many that fit the bill of who Tennessee staff is willing to pursue, they don’t just go offer all 100 guys and see who’s interested, they’re pretty picky, especially early. Rob Lewis made mention of this recently and said how before Tennessee offers a player they typically will call and talk to multiple teachers at that kids school first, along with their high school coach, I’m gonna guess that’s prwttu abnormal.

So what’s my point? That most of the time the Top 100 guys who fit the mold Tennessee is after are guys that have built relationships and have been pursued for awhile by teams, that’s not to flat out excuse it, because sure Tennessee missed on some guys, but I think when comparing to Mississippi State and Alabama who recruited much better it has to be pointed out that those teams casted a much wider net and seemingly often took guys who maybe had some shady characteristics or didn’t fit the system, and who are no longer with those teams.

Looking at who they’ve pursued it’s not that surprising imo...they weren’t going to jeopardize talent for character, especially early on, Ziti and I had this argument a lot early on if you look at the Top 100 players there are only so many that fit the bill of who Tennessee staff is willing to pursue, they don’t just go offer all 100 guys and see who’s interested, they’re pretty picky, especially early. Rob Lewis made mention of this recently and said how before Tennessee offers a player they typically will call and talk to multiple teachers at that kids school first, along with their high school coach, I’m gonna guess that’s prwttu abnormal.

So what’s my point? That most of the time the Top 100 guys who fit the mold Tennessee is after are guys that have built relationships and have been pursued for awhile by teams, that’s not to flat out excuse it, because sure Tennessee missed on some guys, but I think when comparing to Mississippi State and Alabama who recruited much better it has to be pointed out that those teams casted a much wider net and seemingly often took guys who maybe had some shady characteristics or didn’t fit the system, and who are no longer with those teams.
I agree with that. Talking about my initial thoughts about what Barnes would do when he was hired. I'm quite satisfied with his way of doing it now.

Same thing Pearl did at Tennessee that netted him some fine characters like Ramar Smith, Duke Crews, and Brian Williams, among others. Tyndall brought on Detrick Mostella.

I think it is quite clear that Barnes was much more selective about which players he wanted to build the foundation of his program with.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Same thing Pearl did at Tennessee that netted him some fine characters like Ramar Smith, Duke Crews, and Brian Williams, among others. Tyndall brought on Detrick Mostella.

I think it is quite clear that Barnes was much more selective about which players he wanted to build the foundation of his program with.
Yup, and at the time I stated many times I understood the question but that nobody would know if it was the proper answer for 2-3 years minimum...I think mostly would agree that it obviously was.

Yep.

Probably the best game we played all year. You got to remember, though, they had a bunch of Freshmen and no-name veterans with no NBA looks put 57 points on us the second half, with a first year coach. They missed 11 straight shots in the paint the first 8 minutes of the game and went another 6 without scoring a basket.

I'm not so sure we beat them so much as they beat themselves.
Never said it was the best game they played all year. I said our kids shined that day. Against a bunch of misfit wanna be bullies. We popped em in the mouth in our own way and embarrassed them. Do you not remember? Their coach cried about it for months.

QFT

You should stick to teachin Bible roust. Your constant suffering fits like a glove in that forum.
Put me on ignore then. Otherwise, talk about the team and stop talking about me.
I put Chris on ignore over a year ago. I can’t imagine his responses and condescension.

Put me on ignore then. Otherwise, talk about the team and stop talking about me.
I put Chris on ignore over a year ago. I can’t imagine his responses and condescension.

Lol. You wouldn't be disappointed. I quit responding to the condescending posters. Their level of self importance must be arousing for them

Lol. You wouldn't be disappointed. I quit responding to the condescending posters. Their level of self importance must be arousing for them
Isn't that Pot Kettle? It would seem that a person who constantly posts disparaging remarks about a coach and team on a Fan forum would be far more in love with the sound of their own voice. And then have the audacity to cry foul when rebuked.

VN Store

Back