2019 TN DT Elijah Simmons Commits to UT

Its 8th in the SEC. I wouldn't use the word subpar but we need to do better than 8th. Hopefully we leapfrog some teams after it's all said and done.
I am starting to wonder if we're secretly back to brick by brick mode. I am very curious to hear what Pruitt says about expectations tomorrow. I want to hear some Jimboesque talk about expecting to win now.

That kid doesn't look like a freak athlete speed and lateral quickness wise, but man dies he have great hands. Violent. He would make a great dt.

Truth be told no matter how many stars he has or who has offered at this point, it ain't easy moving a low center of gravity guy that can play nose in a 3-4 if he don't want to be moved. 6'1" at 344lb is hard to get up under if you're an OL.

If he gets mad and goes billybob penetrating in the backfield....

Reactions: feathersax
The bottom line is Tennessee needs more beef on the defensive line, they need a true nose tackle and this is a guy that will embrace his role. He knows what he is and what he will be brought in to do in this defense. There is no confusion or identity crisis.
He will occupy linemen, create clear lanes for the LB's to run downhill and force more run plays to bounce once he is ready to contribute.

Yes he did...and lets not let him forget that.

I took his statement meaning that our recruiting class would be one of the best in the country , not necessarily based on recruiting site rankings, but based on production and tangible ability.

LazyFakeCuscus.gif

Truth be told no matter how many stars he has or who has offered at this point, it ain't easy moving a low center of gravity guy that can play nose in a 3-4 if he don't want to be moved. 6'1" at 344lb is hard to get up under if you're an OL.

Pruitt is definitely making our team bigger!

I hear what you're saying, but I feel that too often we tell ourselves this to rationalize having a lower ranked class compared to much of the rest of the SEC. Plus you know very well there is a strong correlation with teams who win championships and the highly ranked recruiting classes they pull in. We can say rankings dont matter but yeah, they kind of do. Yes there are outliers here and there (Mizzou) but it's certainly not the rule. To truly be in the hunt for the SEC East every year and play in Atlanta, we have got to consistently finish in the top 5 in recruiting.

If you would just look at the kid's film and see for yourself.

Then you don't have to rationalize anything...

I think it's the height that has people scratching their heads, particularly when we just missed on 6'6" prospect from Lebanon. I think Mt. Cody was 6'4". Maybe someone whose been in the trenches can comment on whether that extra height affects what a DT can do on the ground.

I think it's the height that has people scratching their heads, particularly when we just missed on 6'6" prospect from Lebanon. I think Mt. Cody was 6'4". Maybe someone whose been in the trenches can comment on whether that extra height affects what a DT can do on the ground.

His measurable aren't what concerns me. It's his offer list. I just cant shake the feeling that we had to have been told no by a LOT of recruits for us to extend an offer to this kid.

His measurables aren't what concerns me. It's his offer list. I just cant shake the feeling that we had to have been told no by a LOT of recruits for us to extend an offer to this kid.

His measurables aren't what concerns me. It's his offer list. I just cant shake the feeling that we had to have been told no by a LOT of recruits for us to extend an offer to this kid.

... Or, our staff had the clairvoyance and/or cojones to offer early, before other programs have gotten around to doing so.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
I hear what you're saying, but I feel that too often we tell ourselves this to rationalize having a lower ranked class compared to much of the rest of the SEC. Plus you know very well there is a strong correlation with teams who win championships and the highly ranked recruiting classes they pull in. We can say rankings dont matter but yeah, they kind of do. Yes there are outliers here and there (Mizzou) but it's certainly not the rule. To truly be in the hunt for the SEC East every year and play in Atlanta, we have got to consistently finish in the top 5 in recruiting.

Not saying recruiting class rankings don't matter. We're talking about one kid who's a rising HS senior and is a 3 star. Apparently because CJP offered him, Pruitt can't recruit and our class sucks. All I'm saying is whatever the recruiting services are ranking this kid or any kid save a very few phenoms, they will most likely change and very possibly change substantially by the end of his senior year.

Reactions: 2 people

If you read some of the material about this young man it was his performances in camps that sealed us extending him an offer. This wasn't a "he looks great on film" offer, this was in front of Tracy Rocker's own lying eyes that an offer was extended.

Reactions: 1 person
Plus you know very well there is a strong correlation with teams who win championships and the highly ranked recruiting classes they pull in. We can say rankings dont matter but yeah, they kind of do. Yes there are outliers here and there (Mizzou) but it's certainly not the rule. To truly be in the hunt for the SEC East every year and play in Atlanta, we have got to consistently finish in the top 5 in recruiting.

Clemson's last 7 classes were rated 15, 16, 9, 11, 16, 7 and 10. They've averaged outside the top 10 and won two NC's with those players. What they do well is evaluate players (note I didn't say "talent") better than the recruiting services. We don't know if Pruitt is doing that well or not. Hopeful that he is and we'll be competing with Bama in a couple more years.

VN Store

Back