2019 Target List

The state of Tennessee has a scholarship for in-state students who graduate with at least a B average, which is provided by money from the Tennessee lottery.

With KA leaving, you’d have to think that would make us the most attractive opportunity for immediate playing time. And we would have distance in our favor as well. Kessler would help fill an immediate need along with Burns, Fulkerson, and Walker.

Interestingly enough, the pursuit of Kessler tells me the coaches know someone is leaving or that Pember is now being told to go prep for a year, and I’m not even sure if that last idea is an option since he has signed.

Kessler’s video reminds me an awful lot of Frank Kaminsky’s high school video. Kaminsky was maybe a hair quicker and a better passer, at least on film, but their movements and abilities in the paint and on the perimeter are very similar.

Having Josiah James may help. In his interview from his visit at UVA he mentions that the guards he plays with will be an important factor. Also, he mentioned relationship with coaches and academics as other factors.

Reactions: cncchris33
He has already OVed Michigan and Virginia. Both schools have more crowded rosters with pedigree at his position than Tennessee currently does. On the education front, a Michigan or UVA degree is generally more well thought of than a Tennessee degree, save for a few disciplines. Will be nice to get the final visit of the three alleged finalists. Surprised to see he isn’t giving Crean and UGA much of a shot since his dad, uncle, and brother all played there. Looks like Duke May get an OV, too. Based on his comments following his UVA visit, I’d guess they currently lead, but even by both Kessler and Tony Bennett’s own admission, UVA is a guard-heavy offense, and they already have a version of Kessler on the roster in Jay Huff. I think Tennessee being a more paint-oriented offense, and the closest version of Kessler we currently have would be Zack Kent (maybe), his OV here could tilt things in our favor.

Kessler’s video reminds me an awful lot of Frank Kaminsky’s high school video. Kaminsky was maybe a hair quicker and a better passer, at least on film, but their movements and abilities in the paint and on the perimeter are very similar.

Impressive skills for a 17 year old 7 footer. You expect him to look a little uncoordinated at times, but his outside shot and catch and gather are impressive at that age.

This would be a game changer for next year. Adding a 7 footer to our roster after KA leaves would be fantastic.

With KA leaving, you’d have to think that would make us the most attractive opportunity for immediate playing time. And we would have distance in our favor as well. Kessler would help fill an immediate need along with Burns, Fulkerson, and Walker.

Interestingly enough, the pursuit of Kessler tells me the coaches know someone is leaving or that Pember is now being told to go prep for a year, and I’m not even sure if that last idea is an option since he has signed.

It would mean Kent or Johnson will be gone most likely. Walker could decide to leave too. He’s already behind Fulkerson and he would be behind Kessler too. There’s a small chance Lamonte could also be a grad transfer but I’d be shocked if that happened.

It would mean Kent or Johnson will be gone most likely. Walker could decide to leave too. He’s already behind Fulkerson and he would be behind Kessler too. There’s a small chance Lamonte could also be a grad transfer but I’d be shocked if that happened.
An interesting theory on Turner, for sure. Like you, I'd be shocked if that happens. Kent and Johnson having used their RS year makes transferring tough, but perhaps JJ can graduate early and have two years remaining elsewhere. I hate to lose him because I like his offensive potential, but Kessler would be a definite upgrade across the board, and especially in terms of next year's immediate need.

An interesting theory on Turner, for sure. Like you, I'd be shocked if that happens. Kent and Johnson having used their RS year makes transferring tough, but perhaps JJ can graduate early and have two years remaining elsewhere. I hate to lose him because I like his offensive potential, but Kessler would be a definite upgrade across the board, and especially in terms of next year's immediate need.

Kent could maybe ask for a medical hardship. Hell at this rate he might retire with how many issues he has with his knee. Either way, if Kessler comes on board, Kent won’t be playing.

Johnson...I just don’t see how he will play. He doesn’t play now. Tennessee loses one wing and we know that James will take Schofield’s minutes. There’s no room for him to play. I doubt he wants to ride the bench another year.

Kent could maybe ask for a medical hardship. Hell at this rate he might retire with how many issues he has with his knee. Either way, if Kessler comes on board, Kent won’t be playing.

Johnson...I just don’t see how he will play. He doesn’t play now. Tennessee loses one wing and we know that James will take Schofield’s minutes. There’s no room for him to play. I doubt he wants to ride the bench another year.
Agree on JJ. If he cam graduate early, I totally understand why it would make sense for him to transfer to a place that isn't as congested at his position and be able to play immediately. If he can't graduate early though, it may make sense to hang around for his SR year at Tennessee because a lot of minutes will open up at the guard position after Bone, Turner, Bowden all leave in 2020. Having used the redshirt year already, if he cannot graduate early, he's only going to have one year of eligibility left unless he can appeal for some sort of hardship waiver to play immediately, were he to leave after this season.

Two things on Kessler:

1) He’s the perfect big man for Barnes to work with. Already has good touch and skills, just needs to refine his game, get stronger, and work on his defense. But you could definitely see him averaging Grants number by his sophomore year.

2) Barnes has an excellent track record of NBA big man and Kyle Alexander might be added to that but here’s the players Barnes has worked with that played in the NBA as a big man:

Myles Turner
Tristan Thompson
Dexter Pittman
LaMarcus Aldridge
Chris Mihm

That’s a pretty solid list. I actually see some Aldridge in Kessler’s game.

Agree on JJ. If he cam graduate early, I totally understand why it would make sense for him to transfer to a place that isn't as congested at his position and be able to play immediately. If he can't graduate early though, it may make sense to hang around for his SR year at Tennessee because a lot of minutes will open up at the guard position after Bone, Turner, Bowden all leave in 2020. Having used the redshirt year already, if he cannot graduate early, he's only going to have one year of eligibility left unless he can appeal for some sort of hardship waiver to play immediately, were he to leave after this season.

Yeah that’s up to him. And we never know with these kids and what they want. Maybe Johnson understands that and is okay with that. But usually you side on the PT and Johnson isn’t getting any next year. Man I really hope we can make a move on Kessler. Getting him and returning all the key cogs and we could be talking back to back Final Fours (long ways to go however).

Reactions: Vols All Day
From the video below, it looks like Kent is working to get back out there. I’m guessing a decision wouldn’t be made regarding his status right now.

Oliver is recruiting Kessler and you cannot teach size so this would be a big recruiting coup and maybe Pember is a walk on candidate for next season.

My assessment based on the video is he is not overly athletic but he is very skilled. His vertical doesn't appear to be great but it doesn't have to be when you are 7' tall. He also falls on dunks sometimes and get off balance which lead me to this conclusion. However his skill and developed game is high level. Just the way he handles the ball, range and the ball comes off his hands when he shoots. I would imagine his offense is ahead of his defense at this point which is ok. In Barnes system most players improve in this area. Clearly UVA plays high level defense as well. Besides UVA and Michigan, he visited Vanderbilt as well which tells you academics are important. I hope we get that OV.

If he does reclassification to '19 then he would be able to play a year with William's, Bone, Bowden and Turner and learn the culture without having to be the guy. Then him and James become center pieces of UT basketball in 2020 as sophomore high and low threats. I think that class will be more guard heavy based on the current makeup of the team.

I haven't see him, but just from the video that Walker Kessler kid seems to like to keep the ball off the flour (when near the goal). That is one thing that is tough to get kids to do. I have no idea, but it seemed like "his" competition level (that he plays against) may be sketchy, but he seems ahead of the curve. Seems like a perfect target for reclassification............lol I guess that is why Tennessee is trying.

I haven't see him, but just from the video that Walker Kessler kid seems to like to keep the ball off the flour (when near the goal). That is one thing that is tough to get kids to do.
That's one of the little things that make good players, great

That's one of the little things that make good players, great

Exactly, most "college" big men don't understand it, or if they do, they just can't do it. That is why many of them commit so many turnovers (for someone who doesn't handle the ball).

Reactions: The Dog
Exactly, most "college" big men don't understand it, or if they do, they just can't do it. That is why many of them commit so many turnovers (for someone who doesn't handle the ball).
True. Every time I see a big man get an offensive rebound, then take that one dribble and gets it stolen, loses it out of bounds or gets it blocked, I scream at the TV, "Why the hell did u put the ball on the floor?"

Last edited:
Reactions: JoAllan

VN Store

Back