2019 Summer Ball Thread

I am long-time close friends with an MLB advisor and agent that has basically spent the summer in the Cape (must be nice). I asked him earlier this week about our guys and if he has seen them at all. Here is basic summary of what he said he has seen and a few comments from scouts:

Heflin has looked extremely sharp and scouts are positive on him. He definitely has a shot to move onto some draft boards next year. Has solid control and pounds the zone. A plus is that he is a mentally tough pitcher that can work both sides of the plate with precision. From an MLB standpoint, size and projectability are the weakness areas. He did not mention a velo jump (it could have happened, just wasn’t discussed with me). But obviously has proven he can pitch against some of the best hitters in the country.

Hunley has pitched pretty well but had a rough outing that inflated his numbers with the lower innings pitched. Scouts love his size and mechanics and he is very projectable with him being a very young junior. Control and ability to spot up with three pitches is a big plus. One of his contacts said that he has given up several hits but no one is really squaring him up. Tons of flares and seeing eye singles. Also said they have seen flashes of higher velo hitting 90-91 occasionally. If velo can jump a little he will be on boards next summer as well.

Wallace has pitched well. Also had a rough outing as someone mentioned above. But has had a solid summer. He has a plus curveball compared to others at the Cape, and scouts are high on that. Projects well and has good velo. Curve has been a solid strikeout pitch there but still has some control issues. Has several walks so far this summer. If he has a good fall and spring he believes he will definitely be on the board for several teams.

Anyway, not anything earth shattering, just letting you guys know what he said....

great stuff 6-4-3...thanks...I'll be waiting on your report Rumorgirl...don't let me down...enjoy your time there...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: feathersax
I am long-time close friends with an MLB advisor and agent that has basically spent the summer in the Cape (must be nice). I asked him earlier this week about our guys and if he has seen them at all. Here is basic summary of what he said he has seen and a few comments from scouts:

Heflin has looked extremely sharp and scouts are positive on him. He definitely has a shot to move onto some draft boards next year. Has solid control and pounds the zone. A plus is that he is a mentally tough pitcher that can work both sides of the plate with precision. From an MLB standpoint, size and projectability are the weakness areas. He did not mention a velo jump (it could have happened, just wasn’t discussed with me). But obviously has proven he can pitch against some of the best hitters in the country.

Hunley has pitched pretty well but had a rough outing that inflated his numbers with the lower innings pitched. Scouts love his size and mechanics and he is very projectable with him being a very young junior. Control and ability to spot up with three pitches is a big plus. One of his contacts said that he has given up several hits but no one is really squaring him up. Tons of flares and seeing eye singles. Also said they have seen flashes of higher velo hitting 90-91 occasionally. If velo can jump a little he will be on boards next summer as well.

Wallace has pitched well. Also had a rough outing as someone mentioned above. But has had a solid summer. He has a plus curveball compared to others at the Cape, and scouts are high on that. Projects well and has good velo. Curve has been a solid strikeout pitch there but still has some control issues. Has several walks so far this summer. If he has a good fall and spring he believes he will definitely be on the board for several teams.

Anyway, not anything earth shattering, just letting you guys know what he said....

Awesome update. If you don’t mind could you ask your friend about Jackson Greer the local catcher from etsu. My brother played travel ball with him when they were young. I was shocked with his stats no team even took a late flyer to draft him. He’s putting good numbers in the cape and made the all star team. Like I said more curious with catchers being such hot commodities are why he fell down and then completely off draft boards.

Reactions: RollerVol
Awesome update. If you don’t mind could you ask your friend about Jackson Greer the local catcher from etsu. My brother played travel ball with him when they were young. I was shocked with his stats no team even took a late flyer to draft him. He’s putting good numbers in the cape and made the all star team. Like I said more curious with catchers being such hot commodities are why he fell down and then completely off draft boards.
Sure. Glad to ask. He mainly works with pitchers I think...but has several position players too.

I agree he is just not an SEC type. Nothing against him and his numbers but he should just enjoy the Cape it’s about to be over.

RG....just out of morbid curiosity...what do you think an SEC type pitcher is? Also, do you know why the Cape is considered such a challenging summer league? Any guesses?

I have been to many games in the Cape. Wife and I have vacationed there several times over the years. I also have a AA farm team in my hometown. I can honestly say I cant tell
much difference in the talent levels. The players in the Cape are legit from top to bottom.

from what I hear these summer leagues are full of talent, and it's a way to get the kids some more playing time to sharpen their skills, which is great...I love hearing about the Vols and how their doing...to me, I'm just really more interested in how they perform when the rubber meets the road in the SEC...that just happens to be my measuring stick...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: @1RBFjr and GManVFL
RG....just out of morbid curiosity...what do you think an SEC type pitcher is? Also, do you know why the Cape is considered such a challenging summer league? Any guesses?

I think an SEC pitcher is someone who pounds the strike zone. 92-94 with other pitches. Not a guy who walks a lot of guys. Also an intimidating presents on the hill.

Just my 2cents

RG your next

I have heard a few guys have cleaned their lockers out and are looking for new teams. Any truth to that???

well, I'd say that's a good question...unless you have some inside info you (or anyone else) would like to share don't think we'll hear too much about that right now (officially)...I assume we'll know more when an official roster is posted...that's the only way I truly know who is on or off the team...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

There will be guys leave and de commit because they see the writing on the wall with where the team is going and what opportunities they will have. I’m a juco believer for a guy coming out of HS that needs any development. Go play as many innings as you can then go D1. That being said the VOLS have a ton of talent coming back. There have been some great summer performances and great recruiting. This team is ready for the next step!

VN Store

Back