2019 Summer Ball Thread

What's your beef with CTV. Your negative bias is evident.
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know our hitting, well basically, sucked last year. Here’s a kid that I think can do well and I hope they don’t screw him up. Elander was what, one year volunteer assistant and then gets a gig like this? Most guys it takes years to get this type of position and has to prove it. He hasn’t proved anything other than they hit like crap most of the time AND didn’t develop younger guys. Who’s his boss? CTV. How many AB’s did 3-4 of these young guys get? 12? 14? Wasted a year of their eligibility. And you think they’re just gonna figure-it-out? Get real bro.

Last edited:
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know our hitting, well basically, sucked last year. Here’s a kid that I think can do well and I hope they don’t screw him up. Elander was what, one year volunteer assistant and then gets a gig like this? Most guys it takes years to get this type of position and has to prove it. He hasn’t proved anything other than they hit like crap most of the time AND didn’t develop younger guys. Who’s his boss? CTV. How many AB’s did 3-4 of these young guys get? 12? 14? Wasted a year of their eligibility. And you think they’re just gonna figure-it-out? Get real bro.

Since you think you’re the smartest guy here I’m sure you know this already but didn’t reference it so I want to make sure. This year the vols had the most runs, extra base hits, home runs, and highest slugging percentage since 2010.

Since you think you’re the smartest guy here I’m sure you know this already but didn’t reference it so I want to make sure. This year the vols had the most runs, extra base hits, home runs, and highest slugging percentage since 2010.
And still in the bottom third........😂😂😂

It must be miserable being you. Your hate is strong. My guess is you have a personal axe to grind.

Hitting wasn’t perfect, but improved. It was far better than your snarky comment about ruining a player deserved.

been a fan long, have ya...well, hang in there, maybe it will get better for you...it sure has for me...:D

PS. I'm just a fan, not the coach...;)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
Since this thread is about summer ball I’ll nudge it back on track now ;) Jake Rucker is starting at short tonight. Portal and go to the HiPoint Thomasville-Forest City Owls game.

Reactions: RollerVol
Since this thread is about summer ball I’ll nudge it back on track now ;) Jake Rucker is starting at short tonight. Portal and go to the HiPoint Thomasville-Forest City Owls game.
Thanks! Any other volunteers in the CPL this year? I know Caleb Pearson and Rucker are on this team and I believe Plummer is somewhere too. Any more that you know of?

Josh Elander was courted by some big time programs I know for 100 percent fact. He was very loyal to Tennessee. He is a rising star. The hitters are in good hands. He hate to break numbers down for you but only 9 players can hit in a game. This isn’t little league anymore where everyone hits. Development is done away from the field as well in the cage and in the weight room. Christian Scott is going to be a damn good player and was brought along just fine.

Last edited:
Thanks! Any other volunteers in the CPL this year? I know Caleb Pearson and Rucker are on this team and I believe Plummer is somewhere too. Any more that you know of?
Plummer is with the Fayetteville SwampDogs.

Soularie hit a home run tonight for brewster in the Cape. I expect him to be a pre season 1st team all American. Crochet has a chance to be one as well.

Josh Elander was courted by some big time programs I know for 100 percent fact. He was very loyal to Tennessee. He is a rising star. The hitters are in good hands. He hate to break numbers down for you but only 9 players can hit in a game. This isn’t little league anymore where everyone hits. Development is done away from the field as well in the cage and in the weight room. Christian Scott is going to be a damn good player and was brought along just fine.
Development......ohhhh. You mean all that tee work and soft toss to get your swing down. Let it get deep and all that hitting jargon. Very good stuff. Oh, you mean all those scrimmage at bats with all that pressure. Again good stuff. Live AB’s in game? Not needed in your eyes. Again, they’ll just step in and reload because UT is that deep. Development was only for the chosen few. Wasted year on too many kids.

Jake went 4 for 5 with a double and a RBI. He also had a great slide at the plate to avoid the tag.

Development......ohhhh. You mean all that tee work and soft toss to get your swing down. Let it get deep and all that hitting jargon. Very good stuff. Oh, you mean all those scrimmage at bats with all that pressure. Again good stuff. Live AB’s in game? Not needed in your eyes. Again, they’ll just step in and reload because UT is that deep. Development was only for the chosen few. Wasted year on too many kids.
Only 9 can play. Who specifically wasn’t properly used and who would you have sat?

Only 9 can play. Who specifically wasn’t properly used and who would you have sat?
Knight 12 AB
Lipscomb 14 AB
Scott 28 AB
Midweek games should be slotted for these guys to get more AB. First two guys complete wasted year, no question. Scott, I’d say it was too. Believe me, plenty of dudes could’ve sat throughout the year. Martinez could’ve had some midweek games off. One month span he hardly got a hit. Ammons and Charleston, kidding me? Rucker had a funk or two. Andre played every game and Vitello says 3B is Lipscomb’s next year on 14 at bats....... Russell started strong ended strong but went a month will little to no production. ZD........don’t get me started. Plenty of chances to get kids more playing time. Calling it now, we will lose more games next year both in the SEC and overall record. He had to win this year or the bandwagon would’ve gotten lighter.

Knight 12 AB
Lipscomb 14 AB
Scott 28 AB
Midweek games should be slotted for these guys to get more AB. First two guys complete wasted year, no question. Scott, I’d say it was too. Believe me, plenty of dudes could’ve sat throughout the year. Martinez could’ve had some midweek games off. One month span he hardly got a hit. Ammons and Charleston, kidding me? Rucker had a funk or two. Andre played every game and Vitello says 3B is Lipscomb’s next year on 14 at bats....... Russell started strong ended strong but went a month will little to no production. ZD........don’t get me started. Plenty of chances to get kids more playing time. Calling it now, we will lose more games next year both in the SEC and overall record. He had to win this year or the bandwagon would’ve gotten lighter.
Austin Knight and Lipscomb were a combined 2-26 ZD had some struggles as well and had some high moments as well but got a fair amount of chances, Christian Scott battled injuries that brought that AB total down but was brought along just fine and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t start next season. You have to win your mid week games to get RPI strength and get a regional bid. Players have to produce or they won’t play. This isn’t little league.

Gawd aint we ole timers glad on June 12 2019 our baseball savior arrived and going to save our ole arses from going the way of the ole ballgame!

Correct, there were several games when it was late that others could have gotten a AB. It’s always risky when you make the decision because some guys need to stay hot but that why I’m in the forum and not between the line coaching!

Austin Knight and Lipscomb were a combined 2-26 ZD had some struggles as well and had some high moments as well but got a fair amount of chances, Christian Scott battled injuries that brought that AB total down but was brought along just fine and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t start next season. You have to win your mid week games to get RPI strength and get a regional bid. Players have to produce or they won’t play. This isn’t little league.
That’s all fine-and-dandy. Bottom line is winning. We did that this year. Serrano’s boys got drafted. Best record in 14 years. Fair amount of chances? You serious? I’d like to see you get one AB every 5 games and see how you do champ. I’m just say’n i I don’t see us having as good of year next year because lack of development. Agree to disagree.

That’s all fine-and-dandy. Bottom line is winning. We did that this year. Serrano’s boys got drafted. Best record in 14 years. Fair amount of chances? You serious? I’d like to see you get one AB every 5 games and see how you do champ. I’m just say’n i I don’t see us having as good of year next year because lack of development. Agree to disagree.
Look there are 35 guys on a roster. Every year there are going to be guys who aren’t going to get a lot of AB’s. You can’t play everyone. Getting one AB every 5 games is really hard I agree but those players had all fall and winter to win a job. You have to figure out who your best 12 or so guys are and platoon the 3 or so extras and keep sharp. The staff I can promise is doing everything they can to develop guys without sacrificing losses. Another thing you have to think about are the recruits coming in. Maybe the staff thinks they are the answer? A juco 1st team all American is coming in the outfield as well as a very highly thought of SS. Another HS Bat was drafted and turned it down to come in. This team next year I think has a chance to be better imo. The pitching staff is going to be loaded.

......Another thing you have to think about are the recruits coming in. Maybe the staff thinks they are the answer? A juco 1st team all American is coming in the outfield as well as a very highly thought of SS. Another HS Bat was drafted and turned it down to come in. This team next year I think has a chance to be better imo. The pitching staff is going to be loaded.

the highlighted quote above pretty much sums it up.........

I agree to disagree...analytics are for losers...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan1
One thing you have to remember about CTV. One of the things that makes him such a good recruiter is he is a very good evaluaterof talent. Kyle Peterson has said it several times on broadcasts. Ask Tim Jameison, Jim Schlossnagle and Dave Van Horn about that.

VN Store

Back