2019 SEC Women's Basketball Awards

Amb3096

2019 SEC Women's Basketball Awards announced

I'm assuming this is the coaches picks? No Lady Vols on the first team or All-Defensive Team. Rennia is on 2nd team (personally, I think Evina was more deserving) and Zaay is on the freshman team. The first/second teams have 8 players each. When the AP releases their 5-player teams, I don't expect to see any Tennessee players on that list. Disappointing, as I thought Evina and Rennia were locks for first team with the way they started the season.

Can't understand how Te'a Cooper made the list. Jordan Danberry from MSST and Kayla Wells from TAMU were robbed. Both of them deserve to be on the list over Cooper, Davis, McKay, Dungee and probably Harris. Taylor Murray from UK probably should have been on the 2nd team somewhere as well.

Last edited:

I'm assuming this is the coaches picks? No Lady Vols on the first team or All-Defensive Team. Rennia is on 2nd team (personally, I think Evina was more deserving) and Zaay is on the freshman team. The first/second teams have 8 players each. When the AP releases their 5-player teams, I don't expect to see any Tennessee players on that list. Disappointing, as I thought Evina and Rennia were locks for first team with the way they started the season.

To be fair Westbrook had a lot of bad games against the top teams. We can also question her shot selections in the big games to. As for defense she could not guard the Vandy slow guard Cierra Walker she was going right by Westbrook.

To be fair Westbrook had a lot of bad games against the top teams. We can also question her shot selections in the big games to. As for defense she could not guard the Vandy slow guard Cierra Walker she was going right by Westbrook.
I thought Rennia was even worse, especially during the 6-game losing streak. She was nowhere to be found on offense or defense.

Rennia showed a lot of indifference at best lack of effort more appropriate..... surprised the conference saw fit to reward her with this.... Congratulations i suppose!

Reactions: Putbacks
AP SEC Awards are also in. Surprised to see Caliya on the first team. I thought for sure it would be Rhyne. Rennia made 2nd team.

Mississippi State's McCowan, Schaefer earn SEC awards

FIRST TEAM (listed alphabetically)
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M, G, 5-foot-7, Soph., Manfield, Texas
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri, G, 6-1, Sr., Columbia, Missouri
Anriel Howard, Mississippi State, F, 5-11, Sr., Atlanta (Texas A&M transfer)
u-Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State, C, 6-7, Sr., Brenham, Texas
Caliya Robinson, Georgia, F, 6-3, Sr., Marietta, Georgia

SECOND TEAM
Rennia Davis, Tennessee, G/F, 6-2, Soph., Jacksonville, Florida
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas, G, 5-11, Soph., Sapulpa, Oklahoma (Oklahoma transfer)
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina, G, 5-10, Jr., Noblesville, Indiana
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, F, 6-2, Fr., Cleveland, Tennessee
Maci Morris, Kentucky, G, 6 feet, Sr., Pineville, Kentucky

Player of the year - Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Coach of the year - Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
Newcomer of the year - Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

AP SEC Awards are also in. Surprised to see Caliya on the first team. I thought for sure it would be Rhyne. Rennia made 2nd team.

Mississippi State's McCowan, Schaefer earn SEC awards

FIRST TEAM (listed alphabetically)
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M, G, 5-foot-7, Soph., Manfield, Texas
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri, G, 6-1, Sr., Columbia, Missouri
Anriel Howard, Mississippi State, F, 5-11, Sr., Atlanta (Texas A&M transfer)
u-Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State, C, 6-7, Sr., Brenham, Texas
Caliya Robinson, Georgia, F, 6-3, Sr., Marietta, Georgia

SECOND TEAM
Rennia Davis, Tennessee, G/F, 6-2, Soph., Jacksonville, Florida
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas, G, 5-11, Soph., Sapulpa, Oklahoma (Oklahoma transfer)
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina, G, 5-10, Jr., Noblesville, Indiana
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, F, 6-2, Fr., Cleveland, Tennessee
Maci Morris, Kentucky, G, 6 feet, Sr., Pineville, Kentucky

Player of the year - Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Coach of the year - Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
Newcomer of the year - Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

What Surprised me the most Chelsea Dungee out playing Westbrook this year.

Reactions: Putbacks

Can't understand how Te'a Cooper made the list. Jordan Danberry from MSST and Kayla Wells from TAMU were robbed. Both of them deserve to be on the list over Cooper, Davis, McKay, Dungee and probably Harris. Taylor Murray from UK probably should have been on the 2nd team somewhere as well.

Harris was Second in the SEC in A/TO and is also the active leader in overall assists and double doubles for points-assists. If anything she should have been on the first team! SC is the second best team in the SEC so it made since to have the leading scorer make the list. A big omission that no one is talking about is Herbert Harrigan missing from the All-Defensive team. SC is the best shot blocking team and she is a big reason why.

Harris was Second in the SEC in A/TO and is also the active leader in overall assists and double doubles for points-assists. If anything she should have been on the first team! SC is the second best team in the SEC so it made since to have the leading scorer make the list. A big omission that no one is talking about is Herbert Harrigan missing from the All-Defensive team. SC is the best shot blocking team and she is a big reason why.
Harris did a lot of things well, but she did not deserve first team. She has a strong argument for 2nd team, but so did Wells and Danberry. Herbert Harrigan needs to show up more to get on the defensive team. I think because SC did not have a go to player and could be led by any player on any given night makes it hard to look at them for individual awards. If anything, I think Jennings has the strongest case.

Reactions: SCspur
Harris did a lot of things well, but she did not deserve first team. She has a strong argument for 2nd team, but so did Wells and Danberry. Herbert Harrigan needs to show up more to get on the defensive team. I think because SC did not have a go to player and could be led by any player on any given night makes it hard to look at them for individual awards. If anything, I think Jennings has the strongest case.

I agree with everything you said but I HH was 3rd in bpg and she also had the highest block total this season in the SEC, I felt as though she should have been on there. I wouldn’t move Ty for anyone no matter how good a season Danberry and Wells had. She’s the reason we are where we are. Te’a wasn’t consistent and neither was Alexis but somehow they both made it. Atleast our freshmen got recognition as well.

VN Store

Back