2019 SEC Women's Basketball Awards Announced

Franklin Pierce

Mississippi State's Teaira McCowan was named Player of the Year for the first time in her career and Defensive Player of the Year for the second consecutive time.

Missouri's Cierra Porter was named 6th Woman of the Year while the Kentucky's Rhyne Howard was named Freshmen of the Year. Scholar-Athlete of the Year honors went to the Wildcats' Maci Morris.

For only the second time in SEC history, Co-Coaches of the Year were named. Kentucky's Matthew Mitchell and Mississippi State's Vic Schaefer share the honor. It's the second honor for Mitchell, while Schaefer has been honored three times.

First-team and second-team All-SEC honorees, All-Freshman team, All-Defensive team, along with Player, Coach and Freshman, Defensive Player, 6th Player and Scholar-Athlete of the Year were chosen by the league's 14 coaches.

2019 SEC Women's Basketball Awards announced

I could really care less about most of this, just glad Cunnigham was not awarded POY. Dirtiest players to play women's ball in the SEC for some time.

Who would you have suggested be removed to make room for her (Evina)?

For me I would have swapped her with Cooper. And I'm not saying that just because I'm not a cooper fan. Evina averaged more points, rebounds, assists and has a better A/T ratio than Te'a. Evina also shoots a better percentage from the field and from 3. Evina didn't do herself any favors with her play down the stretch so I can see why she was left off, but looking at the bigger picture she's definitely a better player than Cooper IMO.

In conference play alone Evina averaged more points, rebounds and nearly 5.5 assists a game compared to Cooper's 2 per game. Cooper had a negative A/T ratio in conference play and Evina's actually improve to 2.0 compared to 1.6 in the regular season. Benefit goes to the teams who win though I guess...still doesn't make much sense to me though.

Last edited:
For me I would have swapped her with Cooper. And I'm not saying that just because I'm not a cooper fan. Evina averaged more points, rebounds, assists and has a better A/T ratio than Te'a. Evina also shoots a better percentage from the field and from 3. Evina didn't do herself any favors with her play down the stretch so I can see why she was left off, but looking at the bigger picture she's definitely a better player than Cooper IMO.

In conference play alone Evina averaged more points, rebounds and nearly 5.5 assists a game compared to Cooper's 2 per game. Cooper had a negative A/T ratio in conference play and Evina's actually improve to 2.0 compared to 1.6 in the regular season. Benefit goes to the teams who win though I guess...still doesn't make much sense to me though.

I think that's why Cooper was there. SC finished 2nd, but they don't have a go to player...hence rewarding leading scorer Cooper. Having said that, I agree with you that she should not have been a selection...but I would have put Kayla Wells from TAMU and Jordan Danberry from MSST above both Cooper and Westbrook. Both of them are far, far more deserving and have had much better seasons

The way this season has unfolded makes you wonder about these players that have left the program the last few years doesn't it?

The way this season has unfolded makes you wonder about these players that have left the program the last few years doesn't it?

VN Store

Back