2019 Magazine pre-season rankings

I picked up Lindys the other day. They rank our RBs last in the conference.

Sorry but I’m not buying Ty Chandler, Jeremy Banks, Tim Jordan, Eric Gray are the 14th best group in the conference.

You guys?

What did that group of RBs do last year to make you think they are closer to the top of the SEC than the bottom? That is a very mediocre, at best group of running backs.

Reactions: vols 30 and 08Vol
Is it based on last year or a prognostication about this year? If the latter, someone may not be buying into the annual "o-line has to be better" narrative.

Reactions: 08Vol
This is a bowl eligible team, and thats about it. I think those calling for 9-3 are ignoring glaring issues on both lines. Butch Jones screwed this program in almost unimaginable ways and it will take Pruitt & Co. 4-5 years of recruiting to get back to becoming a competitive SEC football program.

UGA will be the favorite to win the entire SEC. UF is back to a legit Top 10. And we get Bama (as always), as well as more than serviceable BYU, MSU, and Mizzou and you get to 6-6 or 7-5. Any more than that would be a fairly large overachievement, something we haven’t done in nearly 15 years.
Agreed. 4-5 years to get the depth and talent in the trenches to run the ball and protect our QB. I just hope we are solid enough to protect for Harrison Bailey, in 2020. It could get interesting.

What did that group of RBs do last year to make you think they are closer to the top of the SEC than the bottom? That is a very mediocre, at best group of running backs.

Well it didn't happen very often but when Ty Chandler did actually get to the 2nd level of defenders unscathed, he usually burned those defenses by 20+ yards and made several scores.

Its all on how our staff puts things together. Our line may have been terrible last year, but the addition of chaney may help all those missed assignments made by helton. Yes, I said made by helton. The dude sucked!

Players tend to get disheartened by things from higher up that make no sense and i think/ hope this is what happened to this offensive unit last year. Now some can say "well helton's gone buddy and in the spring game they still looked terrible"....and its true. However, it takes time to heal and get in the belief of a new system. Now hopefully it doesnt take too long, but I saw them improve during the spring game along with the entire offense. They...in scrimmaging.......and practice......will get things figured out and yes.....we will be a bowl eligible team. Might even surprise a few folk by who we beat.

Between this and the #15 FPI rating, there is a lot of uncertainty about the program.

#11 in the SEC is a bit too low though. I put us above KY, Vandy, Ark. Barely above USCe, MissSt, and Ole Miss. Possibly even with Auburn (not sure about them but they seem to do well every other year). If Mizzou comes apart due to probation that is a possibility but not just yet.

So I put us at 8 in the conference (6 is highest and 11 the lowest).

I just think between year 2 under CJP development/S&C, a very good recruiting class, 2nd most returning starters in NCAA, the much more manageable schedule, and key losses to teams that were close to us talent-wise last season, we will probably finish 4th in SECeast and win 7-8 games, maybe 9.
We got lucky against Auburn and Kentucky last year and we got destroyed by Mizzou and Vandy for the past 3 years (Vandy mostly) yet you and others still seem to think we are better than them.

Agreed. 4-5 years to get the depth and talent in the trenches to run the ball and protect our QB. I just hope we are solid enough to protect for Harrison Bailey, in 2020. It could get interesting.
I think Harrison is a game changer. Couple his talent with the two stud OL we just got and that’s a foundation.

Spot on if turning your fandom off and removing the orange tinted glasses. Not sure what anyone could point to from last year to think there will be vast improvement..just more of the same until the talent pool can be increased.

Reactions: tbh
Spot on if turning your fandom off and removing the orange tinted glasses. Not sure what anyone could point to from last year to think there will be vast improvement..just more of the same until the talent pool can be increased.
There has to be improvement. Point blank period.

There has to be improvement. Point blank period.
I'm hoping there will be improvement. I have a feeling though that the improvement is one extra win to go 6-6...but nothing amazing where the team gets ranked or a good bowl game. But I'd love to be proven wrong as the season progresses.

Reactions: tbh
This is a bowl eligible team, and thats about it. I think those calling for 9-3 are ignoring glaring issues on both lines. Butch Jones screwed this program in almost unimaginable ways and it will take Pruitt & Co. 4-5 years of recruiting to get back to becoming a competitive SEC football program.

UGA will be the favorite to win the entire SEC. UF is back to a legit Top 10. And we get Bama (as always), as well as more than serviceable BYU, MSU, and Mizzou and you get to 6-6 or 7-5. Any more than that would be a fairly large overachievement, something we haven’t done in nearly 15 years.

I agree with all except the 2nd half of the last sentence. We've had a few above average years.

This is the 2nd year after the Botch debatable. We are not too far removed from subpar recruiting, strength and conditioning, and leadership. Blowout losses where we appeared just flat out manned and out gunned against Missouri and Vandy the last few years should humble anyone.

Too much uncertainty and I still don't think we've filled all the needs or it is too young to tell. If the two stud freshmen tackles play like studs then we might be on to something on offense.

If the JUCO defensive lineman and the former 5 star Michigan transfer can contribute right away with former #1 player in the nation Couch taking a linebacker spot then we might exceed most people expectations.

Right now that is a lot of if's.

Reactions: CA_Vol and FLVOL_79
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: lexkyvol
Well.....anyone going to point out that JG's Pants have a stripe of some sort?

Agree. Last doesn’t make sense, I’d guess more middle of the pack. Don’t really have a bellcow, but have some reasonably talented runners. Also, stats are negatively skewed against our guys after running behind the worst OL in college football last year, which is the reason we were last in the SEC in rushing
Yeah... throw the OL's under the bus at every opportunity. Not enough to say they didn't do a good job... they have to be the "worst" to fit your agenda.

The OL was undersized and made lots of mistakes. They were as bad as they were at run blocking primarily because there were too many injuries to key guys and Jones' idiotic S&C "innovations".

Reactions: BeardedVol
You're kidding right? This is a 7 win team, max
Eight wins are available on that schedule. UGA and Bama are near certain losses. UF isn't as certain but a very likely loss. BYU is a good team that P5 teams should beat. There are 3 gimmes. Then there are 5 games where Pruitt needs to prove his worth. All are winnable as we sit here in June. Winning 4 of those 5 would go a long way toward proving Pruitt is "the guy".

Yeah... throw the OL's under the bus at every opportunity. Not enough to say they didn't do a good job... they have to be the "worst" to fit your agenda.

The OL was undersized and made lots of mistakes. They were as bad as they were at run blocking primarily because there were too many injuries to key guys and Jones' idiotic S&C "innovations".
Uhhh, yep, guilty as charged. Happy to “throw them under the bus”.....after last year’s major failings that’s where they belong until they can prove otherwise.

Edit: actuall, I think Will Friend deserves the “bus” treatment more than his players. It was clear that at no point last year were they in sync and playing with the right technique, effort and attitude. There was enough OL talent last year to have been moderately successful, especially late in the season, but at no point did they perform even moderately well.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back