2019 Fall Baseball Thread

I'll stick this here instead of a new thread,

free article from D1 Baseball, New Legislative Proposal Aims To Ease Seniors' Burden • D1Baseball

New Legislative Proposal Aims To Ease Seniors’ Burden
Could relief be on the way for college baseball players who return for their senior campaigns?

If at least a few prominent athletic directors have their way, that could be the case in the near future as some administrators are circulating a legislative proposal that would change the landscape of the sport for seniors.

Under current NCAA bylaws, student athletes on athletic aid who return for their senior seasons are still required to get at least 25 percent of a scholarship. However, with many programs having year-to-year deals on aid, these seniors are returning to campus for another year with the realization there’s a great chance their scholarship amount will get reduced to make room for prospective student athletes who otherwise weren’t expected to show up to campus because of the draft or other reasons.

Some administrators believe those situations are unhealthy for the sport. Some players depart programs after being told they’re receiving less scholarship money, while from a coaching standpoint, some are forced to run players off to make room for not only the returning senior, but also some incoming players who previously weren’t expected to show up to campus.
Under the legislation provided to D1Baseball — bylaw 15.5.4.1.3 — a senior who was on athletic financial aid one of the previous three seasons, could return to a Division I Baseball program for his final season of eligibility and would subsequently be given full institutional aid by the school. The institutional aid would not count against a program’s 11.7 equivalencies or 27 roster counters but would count against the 35-man roster. Giving full scholarships to seniors would not be mandatory, but optional for those programs looking to improve the student welfare of baseball players.

The addition of this legislation and bylaw seems like a no brainer for much of baseball, but perhaps not so much for others. The sport is much different than others, especially in the timing that rosters are set. It’s the only sport where a junior, third-year student athlete, 21-year-old student athlete or incoming freshman or junior college transfer is confronted with a situation where they must decide whether to attend college or not a month before the fall semester begins for many institutions. This situation, administrators argue, puts college baseball coaches in an awkward position of having to essentially make educated guesses on whether or not a prospective student athlete is going to college, or if they’re signing a professional contract, while also trying to keep control of 11.7 scholarships dispersed throughout 27 players.
“The harsh reality is that seniors are asked to make the ultimate sacrifice to their teams … they are asked to give back their aid to make 11.7 scholarships work in these unpredictable circumstances,” the legislation says. “Offering senior baseball student-athletes, many of whom have accumulated sizable student loans, opportunity for a full scholarship, could make a sizable retention/graduate rate different at member institutions around the country. The senior baseball player might be the most underserved student-athlete in all of NCAA athletics.”

While the addition of this proposal seems obvious to college baseball fans, coaches and players, administrators look at it from a financial perspective as well. Full scholarships for senior players mean more money coming out of the bottom line. The costs across the country would be different. Those programs with more seniors returning would have a heavier burden than those with few returning. But upon our research, an example of how few players in some conferences return to campus for their senior years — the Southeastern Conference, the nation’s No. 1 RPI conference — totaled around 10 percent seniors on 2019 rosters. Power conference rosters on the whole averaged 4.67 seniors in 2019, with 13 percent of rosters from these conferences including seniors. The mid-majors and low-mid majors would have a heavier financial burden, but the percentage differences aren’t drastic. For instance, 21 percent of mid-major rosters in 2019 were seniors, while 28 percent of those rosters were freshmen.

The other prong to consider against the proposal are the Title IX implications. Administrators told me that baseball is much different than softball in this regard. Softball, they said, doesn’t have a senior retention issue that decreases student welfare — baseball does. This is a specific issue. So, again, while that sounds great to folks throughout college baseball, this would be an obstacle to overcome.
Baseball is in an interesting time. Though it’s like pulling teeth to pass no-brainer legislation such as the ability/option to pay a third assistant coach, there does appear to be a window to approach the subject of student welfare as it pertains to baseball players.
After all, when the Big 12 Conference voted against the third assistant legislation the last go round, both Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt — now on the Division I Selection Committee — and Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione, steered away from the third assistant debate, and instead, said they’d be willing to work hard to improve the student athlete experience in baseball. Perhaps this is legislation they could not only get behind, but help drive moving forward.

This legislation, which would help seniors and college baseball a great deal, is in the infancy stage, and there’s a long way to go. But you have to start somewhere.

But if a few big-time athletic directors and conferences get their way, seniors could soon see some relief.

Well after sleeping on this I think this rule is going to have some very unintended consequences for players and their families that have to pay the bills.

Imo schools are going to offer kids huge 90-100% deals in year1 and then string them along with the assurance of getting a full in year 4. The net result of such a deal is roughly the same as a 50% scholarship for ever year but the unintended result will be a roster full of older players that will eventually get cut imo.

Imo the easy fix to this rule is a kid must be on scholarship his junior year in order to get the $ his senior year. That would be better for the majority of the players.

Well after sleeping on this I think this rule is going to have some very unintended consequences for players and their families that have to pay the bills.

Imo schools are going to offer kids huge 90-100% deals in year1 and then string them along with the assurance of getting a full in year 4. The net result of such a deal is roughly the same as a 50% scholarship for ever year but the unintended result will be a roster full of older players that will eventually get cut imo.

Imo the easy fix to this rule is a kid must be on scholarship his junior year in order to get the $ his senior year. That would be better for the majority of the players.

I'll say this...if it can be circumvented in some way to gain an edge and they believe they can get away with it I'm sure someone will do it...that's what humans do...no matter who it may hurt...just win baby...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: BruinVol
Uh, I think you know my answer.

Go Cardinals!

Have fun at the game, playoff baseball is awesome.

LMAO!

St Louis is one of my favorite places to watch a game. It's a true baseball town.

Having said that, Minute Maid is a great place to watch a game. Playoffs are electric.

coming Monday online at utvolshop.com

EGN0cAXXUAAXnT6

Any reason why freshman have not been annouced or added to the roster? I would like to at least see the signing class announced.

Reactions: RollerVol
66, you’d probably remember for sure but wasn’t this style hat from the Delmonico days?

I’m not sure if it preceded Delmonico, but my understanding is that Texas and The Real UT reached some kind of agreement regarding the design, don’t know why it is making a come back, but...

I Back Hat!!!

GBO!!!

a little more entertaining than the game that’s about to start.....GBO 🏈

Edit: I stand corrected, very entertaining 1st half. Just need a couple of base hits and a blast and we have a chance...

Last edited:
Reactions: SycloneJoe

VN Store

Back