2018 Ryder Cup

Phil just got an iron off the tee on a par 5 into a hazard. Really hope he doesn't embarrass himself. He hasn't been playing very well lately.

How are the particular matchups decided again? I know that Furyk pairs, for example, Finau and Koepka together, but how is it determined that they will play against Rose and Rahm?

How are the particular matchups decided again? I know that Furyk pairs, for example, Finau and Koepka together, but how is it determined that they will play against Rose and Rahm?
The captains submit an order for their teams to go out and the matchups come together that way.

Phil just got an iron off the tee on a par 5 into a hazard. Really hope he doesn't embarrass himself. He hasn't been playing very well lately.

He needs to sit all tomorrow and go out in the least harmful spot Sunday.

Reactions: GBOx2
This is one thing I do know something about...and playing Phil in Foursomes is/was a dumb move. Fourball, ok, but to put the worst driver on either team in foursomes is asking for trouble.

I know a component of the captain's picks are about TV ratings, but how do you not pick Xander/Kuchar/Kisner over Phil? Experience perhaps?

I know a component of the captain's picks are about TV ratings, but how do you not pick Xander/Kuchar/Kisner over Phil? Experience perhaps?
I guess, but hindsight is 20/20.
Still a mistake, but only 1 pt. The others got boatraced too.

the boys are sandbagging...trying to get higher TV ratings...they'll put the hammer down tomorrow...;)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scary thing.. DeChambeau and Mickelson were only 1 over when they were closed out. Lowest score of the Americans during foresomes.

The crazy thing about Phil (as has been brought up numerous times in all of our golf threads) is that he can be the hottest golfer on the course tomorrow. No one has ever been able to flip the switch on and off like he can. I don't know that Kuch would've done much better, I think Xander isn't ready personally and I'm surprised anyone really thinks Kisner is ready for this kind of thing.

It's just ridiculous how much better the US is on paper in this thing every tournament. They have dominated this thing since the mid 80s.

Americans are notoriously bad at alternate shot. It's inexplicable.
Couple of things that I think explain Euro dominance:

1. Course familiarity. When held in Europe, they are without a doubt way more familiar with the course that particular year and those types of courses generally than the Americans are. When in the United States, there is no relative lack of familiarity for lots of the Euros because they play in the United States as well as Europe.
2. Normally I think the "they want it more" argument is stupid when talking about professional athletes, but in the case of the Ryder Cup I think it's valid. The game of golf is a global game, but it is also still centered in the United States. Only one of the four majors is in Europe and had a European "feel" to it. This isn't on the same level as any major, but I think the Euros assign more importance to this than the Americans do and get more fired up about it.

Disagree with lots of the above. I don't think very many of the Euros are playing this course regularly, and there's no question the drive to win the Ryder Cup the Americans have. It's blatantly evident by just watching.

VN Store

Back