2015 Vols injury update

Here's the secret about the sleep monitoring program:

The guys Butch had "volunteer" for it are the ones he suspected of partying too much. He told them, "dudes, it's for science...but I'mo know the minute you go to sleep, I'mo know if you get up at 3 am to take a pee, and I'm sure gone know if you bring a girl into your room. By the way, did you know these things have recording devices built right in? Crazy science stuff, huh? Okay, sleep tight."

I kid, I kid, I'm sure that's not why he did it.... :whistling:

Love the theory ha

Thank you! And still people can't figure out how governments control / manipulate entire populations through emotional stimulation and fear. For some people it's just too easy.:scare:

Immediately following hurricane Katrina the "national" news media was in fever pitch for months talking about how global warming was influencing more and more bigger and bigger hurricanes that were going to dwarf Katrina. It was nearly a nightly occurrence. The next hurricane season came and guess what ... not a SINGLE hurricane hit landfall. Not a single one, even after another year of more SUVs.

Where was the months and months of celebration? Where was one single report on the nightly news apologizing or at least celebrating a great year or peace and security. Anything? The point is that FEAR has a huge market. People were selling their homes to avoid the coming certain disaster.

Not trying to stir a debate over politics. Just trying to point out that a huuuuge and impressionable herd of Chicken Littles live in this country. Therefore VN is will be similar. As soon as some bad happens they think the sky is falling and want to upend everything around them to stave off the Terror! Sad really.

Ironic post from someone with the name LiveFaith

Reactions: 1 person
Ironic post from someone with the name LiveFaith

No. Not in the least. If you believe biblical Christianity is based on any of those things then you simply don't know what you are talking about. Rather than arguing, I'd challenge you to actually read the NT and find ANY of the things you suggest.

He'll fix your conditioning and then save your soul. :)

Injuries are mostly just bad luck. I would not put too much analysis in trying to find an issue with the way "practice" is handled.

I suspect Jones has always practiced and managed S&C the same way. I think Lawson has been his S&C coach the entire time or at least most of the time.

If someone can find data that indicates high degree of injuries with his previous years then maybe you are onto something. I doubt you will find that to be the case though.

JMO without any facts to change it..

Next man up: College football's 10 biggest 2015 preseason injuries - CBSSports.com

6. LaDarrell McNeil, Tennessee safety (neck instability): Sustained Aug. 27 -- out indefinitely (likely for season).

Who is he? McNeil, a senior starter at safety, finished fourth on the team in tackles last season with 76. He has 31 career starts, 22 straight before this injury. McNeil had two interceptions in 2014 and forced a fumble against Alabama. The injury "came kind of out nowhere," Tennessee coach Butch Jones told reporters. "Very, very unfortunate. I feel for him."

Next man up? Sophomores Todd Kelly Jr. and Evan Berry are the backup safeties, so one of them presumably would replace McNeil. Kelly had 33 tackles and three interceptions in 2014. Berry, whose older brother Eric Berry is a former Vols All-American, made five tackles in limited action. Evan Berry ranked second in SEC kickoff return average last season (29.5 yards).

Outlook? If Evan can play like Eric, Tennessee will be fine. But this is another injury for the Vols. Read on for how rough summer practice has been in Knoxville.

5. Rashaan Gaulden, Tennessee defensive back (broken foot): Announced Aug. 22 -- out for season.

Who is he? A sophomore, Gaulden was working as the starting nickel back. That's an important position because the Volunteers play more nickel defense against spread offenses than their base 4-3 package, as noted by the Knoxville-News Sentinel. He also was an effective special teams player as a gunner in kick coverage. "Rashaan meant so much to us, not just from a DB standpoint, but from special teams as well," Jones told reporters.

Next man up? According to the Sentinel, junior Malik Foreman, who made 10 tackles in 13 games last season, likely will replace Gaulden. But he won't be the only one up for extra snaps, as junior college transfer Justin Martin should be in the mix if he can make up for lost time. Martin, who chose Tennessee over LSU and Ole Miss, suffered a knee injury earlier in camp and missed two weeks.

Outlook? Tennessee doesn't have much time to get its secondary ready. Oklahoma visits Knoxville on Sept. 12 for a nonconference game that could gauge which program is on its way back to elite status.

4. Marcus Jackson, Tennessee offensive lineman (torn bicep): Announced Aug. 11 -- out indefinitely (likely for season).

Who is he? A fifth-year senior, Jackson was expected to be the Vols' starting left guard. He wasn't a star, but he's a former SEC All-Freshman member who started 12 games in 2014 and whose loss is shaking up Tennessee's offensive line.

Next man up? Adding to the problem is reserve guard Austin Sanders, who also tore his bicep and likely is done for the season. The Vols have gone from having four returning starters to only two set spots along the line. Redshirt sophomore Brett Kendrick has worked at left guard, moving over from starting right tackle. Jashon Robertson will likely start at one guard spot. "The good thing and the positive thing going in is we've recruited to have some depth at the offensive line position," Jones told reporters. "Obviously, it does set us back."

Outlook? Losing offensive linemen in preseason camp is never ideal. Tennessee has recruited well in recent years, but it's still a lot of young talent. The Vols need all the depth they can get if they're really going to be SEC East contenders.

how many people around the country knew who marcus jackson was before he got hurt? sure, hes experienced but he was still very average last yr. Robertson was your best OL as a freshman and didnt start playing OL until fall camp. I dont think Jones will do any worse than Jackson would do.

Pennington mentioned Sunday that out of major conf football programs there are 63 season ending injuries. Tennessee has three and possibly 4. Not good

how many people around the country knew who marcus jackson was before he got hurt? sure, hes experienced but he was still very average last yr. Robertson was your best OL as a freshman and didnt start playing OL until fall camp. I dont think Jones will do any worse than Jackson would do.
Come on, losing your senior OL was huge. It completely changed our OL dynamic.

Come on, losing your senior OL was huge. It completely changed our OL dynamic.

i acknowledged that he was a senior but i asked how good was he? Watch the games from last yr. He was OK at best. I dont see how the OL will be any worse bc it was historically garbage when Jackson was in there last yr.

Last edited:
he was a senior but how good was he?

One of the best OL we had coming into this year. With him we don't have Coleman at tackle and aren't much better shape. You just don't replace him with a freshman and no expect drop off

One of the best OL we had coming into this year. With him we don't have Coleman at tackle and aren't much better shape. You just don't replace him with a freshman and no expect drop off

robertson was better last yr as a freshman. Jackson was a 4th yr junior and wasnt near as consistent as Jashon. That doesnt say alot to you?

Coleman has been at Center in his natural spot the last few days. Might start.

jack jones is going to be a really good player and is probably more talented. Hes just young. Might as well get a head start on some experience with him. Going into 2016 you might have the best two Guards in the SEC. I dont think the dropoff will be huge from the two.

I've seen nothing definitive or a starting lineup that says Coleman is at center. Just saying Robertson is better doesn't make it true. You can't deny that losing Jackson was a huge loss to our line. If you can't see that then you are just blinded by the orange glasses

Late edit: I now see that convoluted depth chart released with Coleman and Crowder at C. I stand corrected on that issue

VN Store

Back