2015 OL recruiting

keckjm

Guys can we formulate a new list of available OL that we have a realistic shot with? Instead of everyone bit***** about what we didn't get, lets try to find what we possibly can get.

Also, I'm not overly sure what's wrong with some people on here, but we are still on some HUGE talent. Richmond hurts, but it's not a death sentence if we can find some solid replacement projects. IMO we need two more OL with no Richmond and Hall hurt. I'll keep the list up to date if others help me out in finding the players we are in on seriously. This will allow one place for everyone to go to and see all the OL recruits we can realistically get, plus the other position players we are in on.

P.S. yes I do know there is a 2015 recruiting big board, with about 300 players...

OL left on board as of 9/10/14:

3* OT: Alex Givens- (Ole Miss Commit)
4* OT: Isaiah Prince (Bama or Maryland bound. He's good, but probably to late)
3/4* OT: William Sweet (NC commitment. Would be a great pull if we got on him. Landing Shy may help here, maybe)
3/4* OT: Patrick "Pat" Allen (UGA commit who's visiting UT Oct 4th)
3* OT/OG: Marquel Harrell (AU commit. UT was on him but backed off. Same high school as Boulware and Berry Bros)
4* OG: Matthew Burrell (There's talk that he may visit. He'd be a huge pick up, but it's not likely).

Other players we are in on that aren't OL as of 9/9/14:

4/5* DT: Shy Tuttle- (VOL most likely) Update 9/26/14: Shy is a VOL!!!
4* DE: Kyle Phillips (VOL most Likely) Update 9/26/14: Vols seam to be way out of picture. Seams Phillips may have waited to long to commit here. Ole Miss lean most likely.
4* CB: Brian Cole (A name to begin to watch)
4* CB: Micah Abernathy (UGA lean IMO)
4* OLB: Quarte Sapp (UGA (if offered) vs Miami vs TN battle. VOLS need to push hard if they want, which I believe they do))
3* CB/S: Cameron Ordway (Ole Miss bound unless TN does something about it, which I'm not sure they will)
3/4* JuCo CB: Justin Martin (VOL if we push. Ole Miss and LSU will be factors)
3* APB: Vincent Perry (I don't think we would take him. UK or Louisville bound, but worth watching here)
4* OLB/DE: Ricky DeBerry (Ship has probably sailed here, and I'm not sure how much he wanted to be here in the first place. Still someone to watch for until NSD)
4 * DT: Tim Settle (Crazy recruitment. I think we could have him if we pushed, but grades are a concern)
4/5* WDE: Jalen Dalton (He's a huge UNC lean. I put him here because if we land Shy, I expect him to be all over Jalen until NSD. Probably very, very low chance, but recruiting is crazy)
4* DE: D'Andre Walker (UGA and AU race as of now) Update as of 9/26/14: UT leads for this monster!!!
5* DE: Josh Sweat (VT vs FSU as of now)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Somebody mentioned in another thread that Chance Hall had a serious injury? Can somebody fill me in?

Somebody mentioned in another thread that Chance Hall had a serious injury? Can somebody fill me in?

Achilles injury. Out for season. Not sure how bad it's torn, or recovery time. I saw 9 months, but don't quote me on it.

Torn achilles is worse than an ACL .

I've never known one athlete that came back in a year and have the explosion they once posseed. Two years minimal for any completely torn achillies.

Last edited:
4* OLB: Quarte Sapp (UGA vs TN battle. VOLS need to push hard if they want, which I believe they do)

To put your mind at ease the Dawgs are not a player in the recruitment of Quarte Sapp. He doesn't have an offer from UGA and I haven't heard any chatter on him in a long time.

In the OLB position we are still pursuing D'Andre Walker and Josh Sweat.

Things could change but you can probably count us out for Sapp...just MHO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an OT or two that are committed elsewhere start giving the Vols very serious consideration.

Toss in some lower rated OL that have breakout seasons, and I expect the list could quite a bit over the next few weeks.

Why aren't we going balls to the wall on Josh Sweat? Mckenzie + Tuttle + Sweat = domination. And lord knows my opinion is important...all 5 of them.

Reactions: 3 people
Sweat has shown no interest other than an early unofficial visit, after which, he dropped us from his list. He gone.

Please find some more options forOT....I'm happy with all all positions except Oline, Hall is 2 years out now, & others are guards. If not, 2015 will be just like this year.

Does the Hall injury affect our recruitment of him or is he a take no matter what at this point?

RockyTopInsider's take on who's next in line...

What's next for Tennessee after Richmond to Ole Miss | RTI

A snippet...

"But, assuming that Richmond remains firmly committed to Ole Miss, here are some names to keep an eye on moving forward as Tennessee looks to cover their bases in the coming months:

-Patrick Allen: Allen is currently committed to Georgia, but has left the door open for other schools to continue recruiting him. He has Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan and Tennessee as his current top-5 and will likely use all five official visits....."
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
I've never known one athlete that came back in a year and have the explosion they once posseed. Two years minimal for any completely torn achillies.

Leon Hall of Cincinnati Bengals in final stages of rehab from Achilles tear - ESPN

FWIW, Leon Hall, former 2nd team All-Pro from the Cincinnati Bengals, has come back from two ruptured Achilles tendons in 8-9 months and has continued to play at a high level. He ruptured the left AT in October 2011 and made it back for training camp in June 2012. He tore his right AT in October of 2013 and made it back for the start of training camp in July 2014.

As a big Bengals fan, I'm not saying he's at 100% of the level he was before the injuries, but as an 8-year veteran of the NFL, you could expect the wear-and-tear to accumulate regardless of the major injuries.

Also, hard to say how the demands of playing CB vs. OT compare with regards to an Achilles injury (e.g. do you rely more on your Achilles to maintain leverage as an OT and therefore the recovery is more difficult?)

Hope for the best for C. Hall, regardless of how things turn out.

Wish we could ensure Hall is getting NFL caliber rehab. Is he an early enrollee? Hopefully he can rehab under the guise of Tennessee trainers and physical therapists in January

Looks like between the 13' class up to the current 15' class, if nothing changes, we have signed/commits from 10 -12 OLs. I think Weisman, Thomas, Blair and Sanders will eventually come along just fine. We've got more competition on the OL (and certainly next year) now that Butch has been recruiting and that's a good thing. We probably grab one more but not the end of the world if we don't.

Last edited:
Are we in on Matt Burrell or are we not going after him?

Right now we're on the outside looking in whether we want him or not. His top 4 are UF, OSU, PSU, and FSU. I wish we had a better chance. He's a quality lineman.

These OL threads make me want to completely burn 2012 out of my memory. I still cannot believe the level of ignorance that was displayed.

VN Store

Back