2011 B-ball Recruiting

atxvol2010

Guys, what's going on with recruiting now that we missed J. Sampson? I thought we were going to land him and the 2011 class would be in better shape. Who knows what's going on with A. Thomas, but the longer the NCAA waits to hand us a penalty, the worse our chances are with him.

It seems like A. Thomas, DeAndre Daniels or Rodney Hood are the top priorities to fill in for Scotty Hopson at the Small Forward position. The 1 and 2 positions are set, but we will also need a Center badly since Williams and Fields will be gone.

Guys, what's going on with recruiting now that we missed J. Sampson? I thought we were going to land him and the 2011 class would be in better shape. Who knows what's going on with A. Thomas, but the longer the NCAA waits to hand us a penalty, the worse our chances are with him.

It seems like A. Thomas, DeAndre Daniels or Rodney Hood are the top priorities to fill in for Scotty Hopson at the Small Forward position. The 1 and 2 positions are set, but we will also need a Center badly since Williams and Fields will be gone.

where is hopson going next year ? play overseas ? :unsure: :unsure:

where is hopson going next year ? play overseas ? :unsure: :unsure:

One thing's certain, he sure as hell needs more productivity in college before he's gonna see any minutes of significance at the NBA level. He needs to learn how to be more aggressive and freakin' dribble the damn ball without getting it stolen away...

We will have Mcrae and Ware to play the 3 and Hall will be playing the 5, but we really need a backup for him.

By the NCAA waiting until December to rule, we may not do too well in November. We absolutely need a Center, and we really need a true center rather than a power forward filling in. Maybe will have to go the JUCO route. Also, here's an article from GoVols.com comparing our situation with UTC's penalties.

Infractions at Chattanooga similar to UT GoVolsXtra

The new head of the NCAA wants harsher penalties. I can't remember where I read that, nor do I know when he starts. However, lumping in the Football and Baseball with Basketball, who knows what they will give us. Didn't say in the article whether UTC coaches "lied" when first interviewed. I'm sure that will not help. Just want it to be over.

As long as Scotty has been playing for us, he is not a 3 (SF, wing), nor will he be this season. I was very curious about this and there was so much conflicting speculation so I asked him myself and he will continue to be a 2 (SG).

Our 2's and 3's have been almost interchangeable at times under Bruce. From when we played small ball with C-Lo and Jajuan to last year with Hopson and Tatum/Prince. They may bring different dynamics to the table, but the way I look at our roster is PG, 2G, 3G, PF, and C. I don't see that trend changing any time soon either.

It's gonna be hard for us to land big prospects in '11 until the sanctions get handed down IMO

If we can add any top recruits under our current situation, you would have to believe they are true lovers of big orange basketball.

As long as Scotty has been playing for us, he is not a 3 (SF, wing), nor will he be this season. I was very curious about this and there was so much conflicting speculation so I asked him myself and he will continue to be a 2 (SG).

The positions are the exact same in this offense. See JaJuan Smith and Chris Lofton.

Our 2's and 3's have been almost interchangeable at times under Bruce. From when we played small ball with C-Lo and Jajuan to last year with Hopson and Tatum/Prince. They may bring different dynamics to the table, but the way I look at our roster is PG, 2G, 3G, PF, and C. I don't see that trend changing any time soon either.

The positions are the exact same in this offense. See JaJuan Smith and Chris Lofton.

True. I guess I just saw more of a distinction between Scotty and JP as opposed to JaJuan and CLo..

There was a big difference in style, but look where they sprinted to on the court to set up and run the flex when we weren't on the break. The main difference that was noticable is that JP had "no shot" from 3 as Dickie V would say. The individual play was different, but the spacing and screening was the same essentially.

I'm out for the weekend folks, got a big weekend. 5th row seats tomorrow morning and my son's 5th birthday is today... Coincidence I think not!

GO VOLS!!!

Look for me at the game, I'll be the one in orange :)

True. I guess I just saw more of a distinction between Scotty and JP as opposed to JaJuan and CLo..

That's because Prince and Hopson are completely different players not because of the 3 is so much different than the 2 in a flex offense.

I wouldn't expect to see any discernible difference from what Tatum's asked to do versus what Hopson's asked to do this year.

Right. Cam and Scotty seem to have more similar playing styles than JP and Scotty. Hopefully Cam can help Scotty with some handles.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back