2006 Top 25

Saw that earlier.

Ohio State will be frickin' scary if their LB replacements are half as good as Hawk, Carpenter, and Schleigel.

Lets see that really doesnt bother me at all at least we dont have to worry about being overrated. Maybe the team will find something to play for next year.

Until UT does something, don't expect any respect. Let's face it our Staff blew it (possibly for years) in 05. We certainly started off with all the respect we deserved in pre-season polls.

Plain & simple...UT's Head Football Coach should never allow the program to become so stagnant & his Staff to become so lazy.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
(RealVol @ Jan 5 said:
Until UT does something, don't expect any respect. Let's face it our Staff blew it (possibly for years) in 05. We certainly started off with all the respect we deserved in pre-season polls.

Plain & simple...UT's Head Football Coach should never allow the program to become so stagnant & his Staff to become so lazy.

This poll will change. My conference by conference guesses at the moment...

ACC - Miami (VaTech and FSU have a decent shot)
Big East - West Virginia (Louisville is the only team who has even a puncher's chance)
Big Ten - Ohio State (fairly wide open - PSU, Michigan and Iowa are in it, too)
Big XII - Oklahoma (I don't think Texas will be able to repeat what they did, especially if Young declares for the draft)
Pac-10 - USC (very wide open, though. UCLA, Oregon, Arizona State, Cal and probably one suprise team are in it, too)
SEC - Auburn (LSU and Florida are the other serious contenders. I don't see any other team having much of a shot)

We were Top 2-3 in most polls last year at this time so it shows how little we should care about it

(U-T @ Jan 6 said:
We were Top 2-3 in most polls last year at this time so it shows how little we should care about it
Was going to post this article but am glad I checked before doing so. Hopefully the team and coaching staff will realize that we have lost respect of the media and use that as motivation to prove that we are Tennessee, just as we had no respect at the Sugar Bowl in '85 just as a starter. There are several more examples of the powers that be that laughed at the Vols only to be shown wrong. The Big Orange shall rise in '06. That's my story and I'm stickin to it...

Only the University of Miami would be ranked in the top 10 after getting annihilated in a bowl game and dismissing most of the coaching staff. :disappointed:

(RealVol @ Jan 5 said:

Do you have to :horse: in every thread on this board?

(MachiaVolli @ Jan 6 said:
Only the University of Miami would be ranked in the top 10 after getting annihilated in a bowl game and dismissing most of the coaching staff. :disappointed:

hate to say it but miami is loaded enough with talent that it can with 8 without trying.

they should be a top 10 team.

(tidwell @ Jan 5 said:
Saw that earlier.

Ohio State will be frickin' scary if their LB replacements are half as good as Hawk, Carpenter, and Schleigel.

That is a BIG if.

Also, Santonio Holmes should be gone, allowing teams to focus on stopping Ginn. Penn State should once again be the team to beat in the Big 10, especially if Pozluski stays around for one more year.

In the Pac 10, USC will finally be unseated. I thought it would be UCLA, but with Drew going pro, it leaves the Pac 10 wide open next year.

Big XII, Nebraska.

ACC, Miami.

SEC, don't count UT out. Yes, this year's recruting class will not be highly touted. Yet, the past 4 years, we have consistently outrecruited the rest of the SEC. We have more than enough talent to beat the Shockly-less Dawgs, the Urban Meyer lack of offense Gators, the Cutler-less Commodores, the Gamecocks (it will still be another year until Spurrier has HIS players, they did well against a down SEC this year,) Alabama will be even less productive without Croyle (didn't even know that was possible,) and LSU couldn't put us away with Russell in Baton Rouge.

Would rather not be in top 25 and end up with good season then start at #3 and end up 5-6. This is part of the long off season and guessing game on what will go on next season.

It doesn't really matter anyway:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10725965/

See, it will be a rematch, even if this year's teams lose everybody and both go 4-7, and only Trojans and Horns and maybe an Irish will be invited to the Heisman ceremony.

Or maybe, just maybe, they should play the games next season just for kicks and see how everything shakes out.

PS--anybody notice we are missing from Florida's schedule on page 2?

Unless you're in the preseason top 10, the polls don't matter. You have to be in the top 10 early for a NC shot. And that's even banking on everyone else ahead to lose in order to move up high enough. If not, you might as well win your conference and go for a BCS bowl shot. That's the most we can hope for.

(sonofajohn @ Jan 6 said:
Penn State should once again be the team to beat in the Big 10, especially if Pozluski stays around for one more year.

I'm not sold on Penn State being a contender again next year... they're losing their QB, entire secondary, and most of the offensive and defensive line. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on them this year too, though, and they finished 11-1.

Holmes is gone he declared right after the finish of the Fiesta Bowl.

Don't forget about the losses up front on the d-line for the Buckeyes. Most importantly they lose their kicker Josh Huston.

James Laurinaitis, (Son of Hawk from the Legion of Doom Tag Team), Jon Kerr and Mike D'Andrea, if healthly, will be Ohio States linebackers next year.

Again do not forget about the losses to their d-line. Mike Kudla, he can jump flat footed on top of a car and can bench press 225lbs 50 times, Marcus Green etc if any one goes pro early.

Their secondary loses Nate Salley and Tyler Everett.

Penn St is going to lose a lot of players on both sides of the ball.

As usual it will come down to Ohio State and Michigan with one surprise team in the mix.

(CSpindizzy @ Jan 6 said:
Unless you're in the preseason top 10, the polls don't matter. You have to be in the top 10 early for a NC shot. And that's even banking on everyone else ahead to lose in order to move up high enough. If not, you might as well win your conference and go for a BCS bowl shot. That's the most we can hope for.
I'd settle for 13-0 after the SEC CG and a trip to the Sugar Bowl. maybe the #1 team gets upset in the Fiesta and we get part of a split NC.

I disagree. The only time that's true is if more than one of the top-10 programs goes undefeated and your team is in a second-rate conference with a weak schedule. If, for example, an SEC team runs the table and only one or zero other teams (e.g. Texas, Ohio State, etc) does the same, the SEC team would, for certain, play for the NC. The problem occurs when, as in 2004, you have too many high-profile undefeateds, leaving the "kitty-hawks" out in the cold -- my guess is that if such a fiasco occurs again, there will have to be an "emergency contingent plan" of sorts, especially with this new "double-hosting" system with the billed National Title game.

If it were possible to have 1 or 2 loses and still be able to the the SEC and a Sugar Bowl I think that would be an accomplished season!

Perhaps Ainge's senior year we can make a run for the National Championship?
*I wonder if any one will comment on above statement?* :blush2:

I understand your thought process because of AU. But with a schedule like ours it wont be the same. If we find a way to win out we will be in the NCG. But that is a very big if.

Sept. 2 CALIFORNIA KNOXVILLE TBA *
Sept. 9 AIR FORCE KNOXVILLE TBA
Sept. 16 FLORIDA KNOXVILLE TBA *

Sept. 23 MARSHALL KNOXVILLE TBA
Sept. 30 at Memphis Memphis TBA

Oct. 7 at Georgia Athens TBA *
Oct. 21 ALABAMA KNOXVILLE TBA *

Oct. 28 at South Carolina Columbia TBA *
Nov. 4 LSU KNOXVILLE TBA

Nov. 11 at Arkansas Fayetteville TBA
Nov. 18 at Vanderbilt Nashville TBA
Nov. 25 KENTUCKY KNOXVILLE TBA
Dec. 2 SEC Championship Atlanta TBA *

Not many "give me's" in our schedule! If things are't turned around this could be a nightmare!

I cant believe u guys are talking about winning out next year, thats ridiculous. This team just needs to start learning how to play football again for goodness sake. Our offense was one of the worst in the NCAA, they are losing several LInemen, we dont have any receivers with any heart, and a QB who just went through the worst season imaginable. I think its safe to say we just need to start from scratch and learn the fundamentals of the game first. Maybe the coaching changes will help, they sure cant hurt. Start with discipline and execution, something this team hasnt had in a long time, and everything else should work itself out. It might take a few years of mediocre seasons, but its something u got to have before u can become a winner again. Its a shame it got this bad to start with, thats a whole different ball game though.

VN Store

Back