$200 Million in Debt, Tennessee's Dave Hart Hopes to Stop the Bleeding

Maybe this is why coach Jones was spotted in a Brentwood Waffle House.....sorry coach your new Per/day expenses are $15.00

More than likely, it will be non revenue sports that will feel the effect of this

We've already upgraded those facilities too. We've upgraded almost every athletic facility on campus. Hamilton built like a drunk Egyptian pharaoh.

Obviously the reserve has to be built back up somewhat, but I fail to see the disastrous consequences of having the lowest reserve in the conference. As I said, there's very little left to buy.

E2024F0C4276440DBF42B7B3B04119DF.ashx

While the cost of a ticket might have a minor effect on whether or not those living in the Knoxville area attend games, it is totally moot for those of us living out of state. For my wife and I to head to Neyland, we have to be willing to drop $1000-$1500 (airline, hotel, etc). The cost of a ticket rarely plays into our decision. However, the product on the field (competiveness) does! I have been attending games since 1967 but will admit that over the last few years I have scaled way back on attending in person. Was only at one game last year. If we become more competitive under CBJ I will start attending more games again.

Last edited:
Why put this out now. I know the kids might not understand but opposing coaches do and will use anything when it comes to recruiting. SMH. Bad timing IMO

Maybe this is why coach Jones was spotted in a Brentwood Waffle House.....sorry coach your new Per/day expenses are $15.00

He needs to stop buying fans their meal....now everyone will be camping out at the local WF.

Why put this out now. I know the kids might not understand but opposing coaches do and will use anything when it comes to recruiting. SMH. Bad timing IMO

You really think any football player has ever even considered the size of an AD's reserve fund when picking a school? Come on.

We've already upgraded those facilities too. We've upgraded almost every athletic facility on campus. Hamilton built like a drunk Egyptian pharaoh.

Obviously the reserve has to be built back up somewhat, but I fail to see the disastrous consequences of having the lowest reserve in the conference. As I said, there's very little left to buy.

New athletic dorm.

New outdoor practice facilities.

I'd throw in a Cam Newton myself.

New athletic dorm.

New outdoor practice facilities.

I'd throw in a Cam Newton myself.

New outdoor fields are not exactly a high dollar project. I guess a new dorm is on the wish list, but considering what else Hamilton spent money on, surely the situation isn't that dire. Can't imagine our facilities as they are are putting us at a disadvantage. If we could pay players, then yes, that would be a problem. But as is, we're fine. There's more SEC TV money coming in, the football program will (we hope) start generating more revenue again. This is something the AD has to manage but from a fan's perspective this is close to a non-issue.

Unless Jones goes 1-11 and 2-10 and we can't afford to fire him, of course, but at that point we've for bigger issues.

Remember, the athletic department has been using 20-25 million per year for the past 25 years to fund non-athletic scholarships, research grants, etc. that go outside the athletic department.

While Mike Hamilton didn't start this he didn't take steps to stop it either.

Two football seasons without a post season bowl, and two basketball seasons without NCAA tourney appearances have added to the negative flow.

Winning solves a lot of problems...

Reactions: 1 person
Remember, the athletic department has been using 20-25 million per year for the past 25 years to fund non-athletic scholarships, research grants, etc. that go outside the athletic department.

While Mike Hamilton didn't start this he didn't take steps to stop it either.

Two football seasons without a post season bowl, and two basketball seasons without NCAA tourney appearances have added to the negative flow.

Winning solves a lot of problems...

I don't know if someone has commented on this early in this thread. If I remember correctly, I recalled some early "problems" even when Hamilton was still the AD. I remember, for more than year, seeing news report that ranked athletic department in the country with the top budget. UT always ranked in top 10 with 100mil + annal budget, but only brought in about 1mil of annual profit compared to 30~50mil of Texas, OSU, Alabama, Notre Dame etc. I remembered saying to myself, wow, how can you run a healthy organization by spending 100+mil a year while only making 1mil a year. Is this relevant to the discussion?

A little off topic but this story and the patrick willis snub story are both featured prominently on the ESPN SEC blog just a week before NSD. Coincidence.... I think not.

Hey coach,

Come on down to my area and you can talk to a certain RB at Beech High School that's fairly good.

Then you can meet me at the Waffle House and buy me a meal and we can talk UT football and recruiting.

Steak, eggs, hash browns and waffles sounds pretty good while talking Tennessee football and you just might get a fair RB for next years class.

LOL!

VFL...GBO!!!.

The AD needs to drop the dead weight...but they
been gettin budget advice
from a fake Bamma diet doctor!

images

We're not just bleedin orange...we be hemorrhaging!

Ever wonder why a southern football team
would pick a big fat elephant for it's mascot...<scratching head>...guess it's what
Bammanians can relate to...IDK

Maybe the bamma troll can "weigh in" on the subject?

UT's athletic dept needs to stop giving away all these millions every year to the university---let them find their own money. the ath dept needs it a lot more

I don't have any clue of anyone's propensity to give. But, I have to say that this simply an excuse. The University of Tennessee is far bigger than Dave Hart. It was there well before he was and will be there well after.

If it will still be here well after Hart then why do mindless dupes keep throwing money into the Knoxville money pit, overseen by Mr. Hart, while the returns on that money continue to diminish? Hart needs to show me something, anything, that resembles the program is trying to do something constructive. The coaching search only reinforced what myself and many others think about Dave Hart.

VN Store

Back