'20 VA C Dylan Cardwell

Lol

Pons and Fulkerson not likely are either in 2020-2021 but we need similar production to replace them. I just don’t think a true freshmen is going to do that but maybe just maybe Barnes does recruit the next Grant Williams in the 2021 class but I don’t see that as likely
K, we will comp our roster to Cardwell, 2020-2021, #saved.

K, we will comp our roster to Cardwell, 2020-2021, #saved.
look it isn’t just about Cardwell it’s measuring the need now vs later. I know I hope taking the grad transfer is a success because if it was it means it was a great year.

It’s a success if we have a year like 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 imo
if we match those years or do Better it was worth it

No. My angle is that not having the grad Transfer would more PT for walker, Uros, Olivier, and Cardwell which in turn sets us up for at least 2 of those ready to take over for Pons and Fulky.

I think we enter the next year with barely one big ready to contribute as it stands now
Well, in EJA's absence, how much experience did you expect those 4 guys to realistically get? In all likelihood, EJA is going to play, probably at best, 20 mpg.

Probably not true to reality, but let's suppose those are evenly distributed amongst the 4 players you named. Is it your belief that 5 mpg was going to make a significant difference in their preparation for 2021-22? I don't.

And if Pons actually does leave early, then it's a wash. Perhaps the staff was planning ahead in preparation for that event by taking Anosike. EJA makes a whole heck of a lot of sense as a one year replacement for Pons in the post. You still have senior leadership and immediate production at the 4 spot, and you still get your younger posts experience. Only you're splitting it 3 ways instead of 4, without Cardwell.

Well, in EJA's absence, how much experience did you expect those 4 guys to realistically get? In all likelihood, EJA is going to play, probably at best, 20 mpg.

Probably not true to reality, but let's suppose those are evenly distributed amongst the 4 players you named. Is it your belief that 5 mpg was going to make a significant difference in their preparation for 2021-22? I don't.

And if Pons actually does leave early, then it's a wash. Perhaps the staff was planning ahead in preparation for that event by taking Anosike. EJA makes a whole heck of a lot of sense as a one year replacement for Pons in the post. You still have senior leadership and immediate production at the 4 spot, and you still get your younger posts experience. Only you're splitting it 3 ways instead of 4, without Cardwell.

I agree with all this, but in regards to Bruins post, I think it's extremely premature to say we will barely have one big ready to contribute. Say what you will about uros and ORN having freshmen growing pains, but with the exception of walker basically every player has improved leaps and bounds under barnes. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised with their improvement next season, even if they arent getting big minutes. Look at fulkerson. He went from backup minutes in 2018-19 to probably getting sec preseason poty votes next year

If pons leaves we dang sure should have taken Cardwell. Both would have been perfect

no I am not saying all 4 would have played. With EJA likely only 1 gets enough minutes to develop. If he wasn’t then that would allow 2 guys to develop imo

I agree with all this, but in regards to Bruins post, I think it's extremely premature to say we will barely have one big ready to contribute. Say what you will about uros and ORN having freshmen growing pains, but with the exception of walker basically every player has improved leaps and bounds under barnes. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised with their improvement next season, even if they arent getting big minutes. Look at fulkerson. He went from backup minutes in 2018-19 to probably getting sec preseason poty votes next year

Fulky was always in the rotation. I think it’s likely ORN isn’t next year

If pons leaves we dang sure should have taken Cardwell. Both would have been perfect

no I am not saying all 4 would have played. With EJA likely only 1 gets enough minutes to develop. If he wasn’t then that would allow 2 guys to develop imo
It just seems like you are either,

a.) Underselling next year's potential with EJA instead of a freshman who likely won't contribute much.

or

b.) Want to have your cake and eat it, too.

Few, if any scenarios exist that allow us to strengthen our 2020-21 roster with ready-to-play depth and leadership AND simultaneously allow us to create enough minutes to adequately prepare the next wave of players.

It just seems like you are either,

a.) Underselling next year's potential with EJA instead of a freshman who likely won't contribute much.

or

b.) Want to have your cake and eat it, too.

Few, if any scenarios exist that allow us to strengthen our 2020-21 roster with ready-to-play depth and leadership AND simultaneously allow us to create enough minutes to adequately prepare the next wave of players.

I want my cake and eat it too lol

I think the future would be better if 2 of Walker, ORN what could have been Cardwell or Uros to turn into Pons or Fulky in 18 months and were good enough this upcoming year to still allow this team to be elite. I think that was possible

I guess I don't really understand this line of thinking. Pons potentially leaving makes EJA infinitely more valuable and sensible than Cardwell.
I said we needed both. Yea I would take EJA over Cardwell if pons leaves but we would have two spots

It’s not Anosike vs. Cardwell, unless you’re going to only compare each guy next year...it’s what post player Tennessee lands in 2021 vs. Cardwell. If they land Banchero, Ingram, Bediako etc I’m pretty happy with the trade off.

So Bleed, if Banchero was to commit before Kennedy do you think that might weigh on Kennedy Chandler's decision to come to UT knowing he has a Quality Big to run the floor with? Or is Kennedy a lock for Duke?

Last edited:
Could we say it's make or break for Plavsic this fall? Or should we expect him to need another year of development at this level? If he could add some rebounding to his game and rim protection would be nice. Last season I just didn't see it.

So Bleed, if Banchero was to commit before Kennedy do you think that might weigh on Kennedy Chandler's decision to come to UT knowing he has a Quality Big to run the floor with? Or is Kennedy a lock for Duke?
I definitely don’t think Chandler is a Duke lock, I think Tennessee probably has a slight lead in that one...and yes, landing Banchero first would only help their chances with Chandler imo.

Could we say it's make or break for Plavsic this fall? Or should we expect him to need another year of development at this level? If he could add some rebounding to his game and rim protection would be nice. Last season I just didn't see it.
Being able to play the early season schedule will do wonders. He really won’t be called on to do much. 8 minutes of guarding the rim and rebounding.

I said we needed both. Yea I would take EJA over Cardwell if pons leaves but we would have two spots
But at the time the staff took EJA, there wasn't two spots, so if you think Pons is 50-50, it seems like you have to prepare as if he won't be back.

If they took Cardwell and just hoped Pons returned, and then he didn't, then you're in worse shape heading into next year unless you can find a grad x-fer worth his salt this late in the game.

Long story short, EJA seemed like the safe play, and made the most sense.

But at the time the staff took EJA, there wasn't two spots, so if you think Pons is 50-50, it seems like you have to prepare as if he won't be back.

If they took Cardwell and just hoped Pons returned, and then he didn't, then you're in worse shape heading into next year unless you can find a grad x-fer worth his salt this late in the game.

Long story short, EJA seemed like the safe play, and made the most sense.

I agree EJA is the safe play for the short term. I just think under the “prefect storm”
We end up with another roster like we have this season if we aren’t careful on 2021-2020

I heard from somebody that Uros could barely speak English last year. That would make it very hard to do well in CRB's defensive system.

Very much so. If he does not contribute this year don't expect much down the line. He will be past the age to expect some gigantic leap of improvement.

Not sure I believe that. He seemed quite fluent in interviews, did he not?

It's possible it was ORN. Definitely wasn't Vescovi. It's been a couple of months since I was told that, but I do think that it was Uros. It was also early in the year, maybe even before the first game, that they (relative of a player) spoke to him.

It's possible it was ORN. Definitely wasn't Vescovi. It's been a couple of months since I was told that, but I do think that it was Uros. It was also early in the year, maybe even before the first game, that they (relative of a player) spoke to him.
The interview I heard with ORN he spoke better English than I do. Now granted that's not a great endorsement but he didn't seem to have any issue. Actually I don't even recall that much of an accent.

Fake news

His English sounded pretty broken to me and he could have had the questions in advance, but now that I'm thinking about it it might have been Yves that struggled with English. I'll find out at the next home game, so get back with me in 5 or 6 months. Find a clip of ORN also. There's a chance that it was him. I'm pretty certain that it wasn't Vescovi.

His English sounded pretty broken to me and he could have had the questions in advance, but now that I'm thinking about it it might have been Yves that struggled with English. I'll find out at the next home game, so get back with me in 5 or 6 months. Find a clip of ORN also. There's a chance that it was him. I'm pretty certain that it wasn't Vescovi.

That video was over 2years old and he sounded fine to me and I am certain is better now

Last edited:
If Tennessee lands Banchero, that opens up a lot of potential recruiting pipeline in Washington, Oregon and California where Tennessee has not historically recruited that much in men's basketball.

VN Store

Back