'20 VA C Dylan Cardwell

I’d honestly be pumped if we ended up landing Cardwell instead of Anosike. It doesn’t seem likely at the moment unfortunately, the staff seems to want Anosike a bit more (going off Rob Lewis saying he likes our chances)

Im just not sure how much adding an elite rebounder who’s undersized like Anosike will help against matchups with dominant big men with real size, like Kansas or Miss State this past year, even Loyola IL in 2018. It seems like taking on Uros to be a bit of a mistake at the moment as you’d probably much rather have both Cardwell and Anosike coming in. But we didn’t have much choice but take him last year with our lack of depth.

Watching his film is pretty fun though. The last season he played (as a JR) he had to play behind a top 50 player in Kofi Cockburn who just had a great freshman season at Illinois so his minutes were a bit limited. But man does he play with energy and passion. Think Fulkerson type energy but in a more developed Kyle Alexander frame. He’s already about 6’10/11 250. Excellent length and timing as a shot blocker and dunks everything around the rim. Couldn’t be more of a team player or unselfish, theres f’n mixtapes of him supporting his teammates since he had to sit out last year.

Will be interesting to see if the staff misses out on Anosike if they go all out on Cardwell or try for another grad transfer. With the staffs proven ability to develop big men I’d love to see what they could do with Cardwell

I’d honestly be pumped if we ended up landing Cardwell instead of Anosike. It doesn’t seem likely at the moment unfortunately, the staff seems to want Anosike a bit more (going off Rob Lewis saying he likes our chances)

Im just not sure how much adding an elite rebounder who’s undersized like Anosike will help against matchups with dominant big men with real size, like Kansas or Miss State this past year, even Loyola IL in 2018. It seems like taking on Uros to be a bit of a mistake at the moment as you’d probably much rather have both Cardwell and Anosike coming in. But we didn’t have much choice but take him last year with our lack of depth.

Watching his film is pretty fun though. The last season he played (as a JR) he had to play behind a top 50 player in Kofi Cockburn who just had a great freshman season at Illinois so his minutes were a bit limited. But man does he play with energy and passion. Think Fulkerson type energy but in a more developed Kyle Alexander frame. He’s already about 6’10/11 250. Excellent length and timing as a shot blocker and dunks everything around the rim. Couldn’t be more of a team player or unselfish, theres f’n mixtapes of him supporting his teammates since he had to sit out last year.

Will be interesting to see if the staff misses out on Anosike if they go all out on Cardwell or try for another grad transfer. With the staffs proven ability to develop big men I’d love to see what they could do with Cardwell

I'd send Uros packing and try to get both Cardwell and Anosike. Uros showed nothing. He's not the physical presence we need down low and simply won't be.

Reactions: jmva1
I'd send Uros packing and try to get both Cardwell and Anosike. Uros showed nothing. He's not the physical presence we need down low and simply won't be.

Uros gonna be one of those rare 30 year old sophomores.

I would venture to bet Anosike would be more productive next year than Cardwell...so the question then becomes is the post you add in 2021 better than Cardwell, that will be the thing to monitor. I don’t find it interesting that Cardwell hasn’t seen any new suitors and his list isn’t anything too crazy, he’s ranked 220 by 247 and 125 by rivals, he isn’t some Top 25 can’t miss guy.

I would venture to bet Anosike would be more productive next year than Cardwell...so the question then becomes is the post you add in 2021 better than Cardwell, that will be the thing to monitor. I don’t find it interesting that Cardwell hasn’t seen any new suitors and his list isn’t anything too crazy, he’s ranked 220 by 247 and 125 by rivals, he isn’t some Top 25 can’t miss guy.

I think part of this is because he was ineligible to play this season. He's not insanely talented by any means, but he's an emotional leader, something we severely lacked this season. He's a guy you want on your team.

Cardwell hasn't had any new suitors because he had to sit for a year. He may not be a can't miss guy, but he will be a very productive college player and it's debatable, imo, whether Anosike will be more productive next year. If Barnes can help make Kyle Alexander into a NBA player, he would make Cardwell, a first round pick, imo. I really think UT needs a player like Cardwell, next year. Now, don't get me wrong, I do think Anosike can help UT, I just think Cardwell can help them, more, in the long run.

I think part of this is because he was ineligible to play this season. He's not insanely talented by any means, but he's an emotional leader, something we severely lacked this season. He's a guy you want on your team.

For a guy you want on your team is recruitment isn’t very high profile

Cardwell hasn't had any new suitors because he had to sit for a year. He may not be a can't miss guy, but he will be a very productive college player and it's debatable, imo, whether Anosike will be more productive next year. If Barnes can help make Kyle Alexander into a NBA player, he would make Cardwell, a first round pick, imo. I really think UT needs a player like Cardwell, next year. Now, don't get me wrong, I do think Anosike can help UT, I just think Cardwell can help them, more, in the long run.

That’s not why, there are plenty of players who have still been recruited after missing a year, and not like it was for an injury. And yes, in long run obviously Cardwell would be because Anosike only has one year, like I said the discussion is who they land in the post next season.

Theoretically could he go to a prep school and get a 5th year of HS but additional year of competition? Not saying that he'd even consider that but more so curious if it's even possible.

That’s not why, there are plenty of players who have still been recruited after missing a year, and not like it was for an injury. And yes, in long run obviously Cardwell would be because Anosike only has one year, like I said the discussion is who they land in the post next season.
Yes, if UT gets Anosike and he is mad productive, misses on Cardwell and snags Cisse (if he doesn't reclassify) and/or Banchero in '21, Barnes looks like a genius. But, that's a lot of "ifs". Hopefully, it all works out, but imo, if it comes down to Anosike and Cardwell, I'm taking Cardwell, all day and twice on game day. Of course, I have no idea whether UT is still even recruiting Cardwell, maybe u do ?

BTW, not playing for a year, hurts that player's recruitment, 99% of the time, unless they are a can't miss talent (like u said, Cardwell is not) and u know this

Yes, if UT gets Anosike and he is mad productive, misses on Cardwell and snags Cisse (if he doesn't reclassify) and/or Banchero in '21, Barnes looks like a genius. But, that's a lot of "ifs". Hopefully, it all works out, but imo, if it comes down to Anosike and Cardwell, I'm taking Cardwell, all day and twice on game day. Of course, I have no idea whether UT is still even recruiting Cardwell, maybe u do ?

BTW, not playing for a year, hurts that player's recruitment, 99% of the time, unless they are a can't miss talent (like u said, Cardwell is not) and u know this
Cardwell’s suitors weren’t anything crazy prior to sitting out...I have liked him but stein he’s not a can’t miss guy. Simply put if you can get Anosike this year who’s more ready to contribute, and next year can add another Cardwell or better then right call.

Reactions: sport3500
Cardwell’s suitors weren’t anything crazy prior to sitting out...I have liked him but stein he’s not a can’t miss guy. Simply put if you can get Anosike this year who’s more ready to contribute, and next year can add another Cardwell or better then right call.
Agreed. Now, can UT get that guy ? Of course, I want Banchero and Kennedy (yes, I know Kennedy is a Guard) probably wishful thinking. Although, I wouldn't mind Ingram and/or Jabari Smith, as a consolation prize. Cisse, in either '20 or '21 would be cool, too

I’m on the record of saying I’d rather have this kid than the Grad transfer we took. Time will tell how this works out.

Auburn gotta good one. A high energy big who runs the floor & rim protects. Anosike 6'5...Cardwell 6'10...can't teach height.

VN Store

Back