'20 VA C Dylan Cardwell

I don't dislike Pearl, but I just don't think it will ever happen. If UT had his back, when the BBQ and lying went down, we probably could have kept him and he would just have gotten a slap on the wrist. But, UT didn't and now that ship has sailed, imo
If he hadn't lied and had just been honest about the cookout, he would have received a slap on the wrist. Once he decided to lie to the NCAA, the ship sailed and his fate was sealed. UT didn't bring this mess to Pearl, Pearl brought this mess to UT. He made selfish decisions that had nothing to do with bettering the program. Everyone needs to remember that. UT cut ties to avoid NCAA sanctions for piss poor decisions Bruce Pearl made.

He lied to the NCAA. He lied to his higher ups at UT. He's running a dirty program at Barn. He will not return to UT and there needs to be a petition to never hire him at UT.

We got rid of a coach thanks to a petition. I'm sure we could use one to prevent a hire 😒

It always happens. Player threads turn to trash so quickly around here.

I tend to agree. Most of these threads crash and burn into trash quickly, but to be fair it's pretty quiet on the recruiting end of things right now since Springer has officially committed so there really isn't much to discuss.

For the hundredth time, Pearl will never coach at the University of Tennessee, again. He's lucky he gets to coach college basketball, at all, after his 3 year show cause, followed by his number one assistant coach (Chuck Person) and bag man going to prison. How Auburn and LSU doesn't get hammered by the NCAA is beyond me ? Both teams should be stripped of LSU's regular season SEC championship and Auburn's SEC tourney championship and Final 4 appearance from last year, imo. Either way, Pearl will never coach here again. Wanna bet ? Because I will, even if it takes 15 years to collect
Doug Dickey says hello. NO ONE during the 1970’s envisioned Dickey ever returning to Knoxville. They might have burned you at the stake to have even suggested it would happen.

For the hundredth time, Pearl will never coach at the University of Tennessee, again. He's lucky he gets to coach college basketball, at all, after his 3 year show cause, followed by his number one assistant coach (Chuck Person) and bag man going to prison. How Auburn and LSU doesn't get hammered by the NCAA is beyond me ? Both teams should be stripped of LSU's regular season SEC championship and Auburn's SEC tourney championship and Final 4 appearance from last year, imo. Either way, Pearl will never coach here again. Wanna bet ? Because I will, even if it takes 15 years to collect
Person isn’t going to prison I don’t believe

Screw Pearl. We've come out of that mess much stronger and more stable with Barnes. Like the Barnes style and culture a lot more than Pearls. We came out ahead on this one...way ahead.

While I agree with your premise, don’t know that the pain we endured from Pearl’s exit till 2 years ago was worth the incremental improvement with CRB. I definitely enjoy cheering for the higher character CRB recruits vs some of the questionable characters Pearl brought in.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Person isn’t going to prison I don’t believe
Because when he got caught he sang like a canary. Did he not admit guilt and start flipping?
The NCAA does not want to know the truth because of the $$$$ lost and quite frankly they do not have the staff to investigate. They are an administrative entity vs a governing power due to their incompetence.

Damn there’s so much off topic BS in this thread.

About Cardwell, love the way he plays defensively and is very athletic around the rim and great at finishing lobs and around the rim in PnRs. With how good the staff is at developing low post players they could likely develop his low post game a lot. Not sure about his touch but has great coordination and hands. Very strong guy already with a great frame, size, overall length.

He’s a old school 5 who isn’t going to score a lot outside of close up shots, dunks, and lobs, and will not spread the floor, but will lock down the paint especially defensively and has all the tools to be a phenomenal rebounder and shot blocker.

Worry about his lack of shooting ability some, iirc think his stats from AAU showed he shot below 50% from the FT line, mainly because none of Springer, Keon, and Walker is a great 3 point shooter. But defensively, with Keon and Jaden guarding the perimeter and Cardwell protecting the rim, should form a ridiculously good defense. And all 3 are such hard playing guys who don’t wanna give up an inch. It should be fun to watch.

Additionally, like someone else in the thread mentioned earlier, kid plays with a ton of passion. Will have to scale it back a little so he’s not T’d up every game, but I think that would be a good contrast to the more subdued playing style personalities of Keon, Jaden, and Walker. Cardwell would be the vocal guy to hype them and the crowd up when they dunk all over someone. Always need that guy. And you definitely aren’t going to get a lack of passion from Cardwell

Last edited:
Jmva you are right, the only issue I see right now with the 2020-21 team seems to be three point shooting. They are going to need Kent, Pember, and someone else to become good three point shooters.

Jmva you are right, the only issue I see right now with the 2020-21 team seems to be three point shooting. They are going to need Kent, Pember, and someone else to become good three point shooters.
That's the good thing about having Victor Bailey available, he can hit three's at a high clip from what I heard.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Damn there’s so much off topic BS in this thread.

About Cardwell, love the way he plays defensively and is very athletic around the rim and great at finishing lobs and around the rim in PnRs. With how good the staff is at developing low post players they could likely develop his low post game a lot. Not sure about his touch but has great coordination and hands. Very strong guy already with a great frame, size, overall length.

He’s a old school 5 who isn’t going to score a lot outside of close up shots, dunks, and lobs, and will not spread the floor, but will lock down the paint especially defense and has all the tools to be a phenomenal rebounder and shot blocker.

Worry about his lack of shooting ability some, iirc think his stats from AAU showed he shot below 50% from the FT line, mainly because none of Springer, Keon, and Walker is a great 3 point shooter. But defensively, with Keon and Jaden guarding the perimeter and Cardwell protecting the rim, should form a ridiculously good defense. And all 3 are such hard playing guys who don’t wanna give up an inch. It should be fun to watch.

Additionally, like someone else in the thread mentioned earlier, kid plays with a ton of passion. Will have to scale it back a little so he’s not T’d up every game, but I think that would be a good contrast to the more subdued playing style personalities of Keon, Jaden, and Walker. Cardwell would be the vocal guy to hype them up when they dunk all over someone. Cause you definitely aren’t going to get a lack of passion from Cardwell
Good stuff, @jmva1. Haven't seen your post over here a lot, but u are a welcome addition to the BBF. The defense with Cardwell, Springer and Keon anchoring it would absolutely, give coaches and players nightmares before they played UT and especially after the game

I think bailey and Jalen Johnson will be good from 3...Keon Johnson’s shot continues to improve as well. I don’t think you’re going to see them bombing away but I also think you won’t be able to just back off them.

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back