'20 TN SG Matthew Murrell

MoB_MoVols

EasyMoneySniper
yhnobig3cbt9woxnzqyb

Whitehaven
Memphis, TN
6'3

Rivals

Murrell is one of the top prospects in Memphis in the Class of 2020 and as any Tennessee basketball fan is well aware, pulling talent out of that city has always been a mixed bag for the Vols. In fact, only twice in the last 25 years has Tennessee landed someone from Memphis that the hometown Tigers wanted. They did it with Tony Harris ages ago and Counzo Martin pulled it off with Jarnell Stokes several years ago. Stokes’ recruitment comes with an asterisk though because he was a mid-term enrollee that the Tigers didn’t have room for at the time.
At this time, Murrell is at least paying lip service to the notion that leaving home is a possibility. This past week he named Tennessee, Memphis, Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss, NC State and Iowa State as the six schools he’s most interested in at the moment. At 6-foot-4 Murrell, is ultra-athletic and an excellent defender. Our Corey Evans describes his jumper as one of the ‘prettiest you’ll see,’ and gives him high marks as someone who relishes being his team’s best perimeter defender.
-VQ

When I think of Memphis basketball, I think of players who are tough, athletic, play fast and have some serious confidence in what they do. Team Thad's Matthew Murrell reps his home city in a way that would make Memphians proud because he is all of those things and more.
One of the most improved players in the class of 2020 since this time last year, Murrell is starting to realize the potential he's always shown. The big-time athlete drew John Calipari of Kentucky out to see him, is a major target of Memphis and a big chunk of SEC programs like Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Vanderbilt would love to have Murrell. He's primed for a sizable leap in the next set of rankings for 2020.
-Rivals

Reactions: The Artful Dodger
I'm tired of getting hyped about guys from Memphis and getting turned down. Let's just give Memphis to Mississippi or Arkansas and be done with it.

It will be interesting to watch how hard Memphis pushes for him in the fall, they’ve ramped up their efforts of late but for awhile had been slow playing him a bit. If he’s a guy they want they’re going to have to be willing to take him in the fall, not saying they won’t but will be something worth monitoring.

I'm tired of getting hyped about guys from Memphis and getting turned down. Let's just give Memphis to Mississippi or Arkansas and be done with it.

I understand what you’ve witnessed.. Memphis HS basketball’s culture is deep, but many school’s concepts, discipline and philosophies are inconsistent with top 20 NCAA programs. I’ve watched MM twice in 2018 when I was in town and was blown away by his skills. I can tell you that Whitehaven’s coaching staff is top notch. MM is a difference maker. He will excel at the next level and possibly beyond. Hope we land him!

Last edited:
Rick Barnes and staff were on the road this week hitting the Memphis area to meet face-to-face with a trio of prospects. The headliner of the group is 2020 shooting guard Matthew Murrell at Whitehaven. The 6-foot-3 shooting guard began the spring ranked just outside the Top-100 but look for that to change. His stock is on the rise with his play over the last few months and he’s in line for a serious bump in the rankings.
Historically, anyone familiar with Tennessee basketball knows that recruiting Memphis has been a tough chore but Barnes’ activity this week as well as the attention the staff has paid to Murrell in particular suggests that they aren’t conceding anything.
-VQ

Murrell has become my favorite '20 recruit, now that Walker is committed. I thinking instant starter at UT with All-SEC talent and that alpha dog mentality, plus it would be monumental for Barnes to pull this kid out of Memphis

Murrell has become my favorite '20 recruit, now that Walker is committed. I thinking instant starter at UT with All-SEC talent and that alpha dog mentality, plus it would be monumental for Barnes to pull this kid out of Memphis
I still think he's a Tiger till he ain't, so I would suggest maybe getting attached to another recruit lol but I do like him as well. Elite defender and improving on offense.

I'll be rooting for Penny to land those higher rated guys so we can get Murrell. Or maybe if Penny slow plays him for too long he will go ahead and pull the trigger for UT. Its a little crazy to think Penny is in on the talent he is. He is quickly turning over that roster. Still not sure he can actually coach though.
I hope we don't take too many 19 guys and keep some extra spaces open for 2020. We are in on some big time talent as well.

I'll be rooting for Penny to land those higher rated guys so we can get Murrell. Or maybe if Penny slow plays him for too long he will go ahead and pull the trigger for UT. Its a little crazy to think Penny is in on the talent he is. He is quickly turning over that roster. Still not sure he can actually coach though.
I hope we don't take too many 19 guys and keep some extra spaces open for 2020. We are in on some big time talent as well.
Money talks in Memphis

I was home in Kansas City for the Under Armour Association and the 2020 prospect who stood out to me was Memphis shooting guard Matthew Murrell. Currently ranked No. 110 nationally, Murrell is deserving of at least a 40-50 spot bump in the next rankings. He’s among the top perimeter athletes in his class, plays hard and is becoming more diverse offensively.
Auburn’s Bruce Pearl watched, Missouri’s Cuonzo Martin watched, Tennessee’s Rick Barnes watched, Kentucky’s John Calipari watched, Vanderbilt’s Jerry Stackhouse watched, Memphis chased him with an assistant as did many other programs. Looking at his recruitment logically, though, I’ll go ahead and call Memphis the team to beat given the way Penny Hardaway has been cleaning up locally.
-Eric Bossi (Rivals)

Reactions: iVolSoHard
I’d be shocked if we get this guy. UT just can’t infiltrate Memphis hoops recruits. That really goes for a lot of programs. The only chances UT has are with the private school kids and suburban area players. They’re more likely to leave their hometown.

VN Store

Back