'20 TN SG Keon Johnson (Tennessee commit 8.6.19)

We’ve posted some tidbits on the board from the NBA Players’ Association Top-100 camp this week and the overriding theme is that Tennessee is in on some talent in 2020.
The buzz in recruiting circles is that the Vols have Keon Johnson almost wrapped up. Now, I’m not coming out and saying it’s a stone cold lock, but that’s certainly the way some that cover recruiting nationally think the wind is blowing
-VQ

Johnson discussed where he stands with each of his finalists as he nears a decision.
Ohio State
: "I had a real good connection with the Vanderbilt coaching staff and coach (Jake) Diebler went to Ohio State and he basically brought me on with him. I'll be taking an official later this month."
Tennessee: "Just being so close to home and coach (Rick) Barnes is obviously a good coach. He has a real good player development program for his players. It's so close to home and I'd be playing a very tough schedule throughout the winter."
Virginia: "Coach (Tony) Bennett was very straightforward with me from the front. On my official visit, we studied film together and he didn't just only point out my strong side he also showed me my weaknesses and showed me where I can improve and where he can help me."

WHAT'S NEXT, RIVALS' REACTION
As mentioned, Johnson is locked into making his decision on Aug. 6 and he wants to do so in memory of a close family member. Since he's been to Tennessee and Virginia, all he has left to do is make a trip to Ohio State and he'll have that knocked out in the next few weeks.
Johnson is a high octane two guard who can fly to the rim in transition, creates opportunities for himself off the dribble and has potentially elite ability on the defensive end. At least as things stand, Tennessee is looking strong and if we had to favor anybody at this juncture we would give the nod to Barnes and the Vols.

Johnson discussed where he stands with each of his finalists as he nears a decision.
Ohio State: "I had a real good connection with the Vanderbilt coaching staff and coach (Jake) Diebler went to Ohio State and he basically brought me on with him. I'll be taking an official later this month."
Tennessee: "Just being so close to home and coach (Rick) Barnes is obviously a good coach. He has a real good player development program for his players. It's so close to home and I'd be playing a very tough schedule throughout the winter."
Virginia: "Coach (Tony) Bennett was very straightforward with me from the front. On my official visit, we studied film together and he didn't just only point out my strong side he also showed me my weaknesses and showed me where I can improve and where he can help me."

WHAT'S NEXT, RIVALS' REACTION
As mentioned, Johnson is locked into making his decision on Aug. 6 and he wants to do so in memory of a close family member. Since he's been to Tennessee and Virginia, all he has left to do is make a trip to Ohio State and he'll have that knocked out in the next few weeks.
Johnson is a high octane two guard who can fly to the rim in transition, creates opportunities for himself off the dribble and has potentially elite ability on the defensive end. At least as things stand, Tennessee is looking strong and if we had to favor anybody at this juncture we would give the nod to Barnes and the Vols.
But...wait...he visited Ohio State already?

Hate going against Tony Bennett for a recruit like Keon.. hope he believes in what Barnes is doing. If he does, with the pride his video seems to indicate he takes on defense, and the offense that can improve, Gbo. should be a no brainer. Here’s hoping

He’d be a hometown VFL for life.

Hate going against Tony Bennett for a recruit like Keon.. hope he believes in what Barnes is doing. If he does, with the pride his video seems to indicate he takes on defense, and the offense that can improve, Gbo. should be a no brainer. Here’s hoping

He’d be a hometown VFL for life.
I'm at the point where if UT doesn't get him, I'm going to be crushed and Barnes is going to get ripped unless he gets someone comparable like Murrell or Thompson.

Reactions: Lefteye
I'm at the point where if UT doesn't get him, I'm going to be crushed and Barnes is going to get ripped unless he gets someone comparable like Murrell or Thompson.

Rob Lewis stated on monday's podcast that in talking with some national writers (who have connections with UVA mods) that some believe UVA has all but conceded to the good guys for Keon's services fwiw

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna and The Dog

To summarize:

He mentions that UT is close to home. He really likes Coach Barnes player development program.

He likes Coach Bennett. They watched film together. He broke down things he did well, and things he thought he could improve on.

He is going to visit Ohio State for the first time.

He is committing August 6th in honor of his little cousin that passes away on August 6th.

-Brian Snow (247)

It didn’t give a lot away in my opinion.

Rob Lewis stated on monday's podcast that in talking with some national writers (who have connections with UVA writers) that some believe UVA has all but conceded to the good guys for Keon's services fwiw

I heard that, too.

Reactions: The Dog
Rob Lewis stated on monday's podcast that in talking with some national writers (who have connections with UVA writers) that some believe UVA has all but conceded to the good guys for Keon's services fwiw
That's the vibe I'm getting, also. But, I'm just going on articles (thanks to u, a lot of the times) and quotes.

Reactions: MoB_MoVols
That's the vibe I'm getting, also. But, I'm just going on articles (thanks to u, a lot of the times) and quotes.
UVA's 247 site released an article about their top targets at the NBA top 100 camp and there was no mention of Johnson which was odd but maybe they just cut it short idk. Just thought it was odd

Reactions: VOLuptuousBOOMS

Last edited:
Rivals writers seem to feel the same way about where Keon is leaning.

Rivals Twitter Tuesday from Corey Evans:

Keon Johnson is another prospect that Virginia would love to have. He's down to a final three of Ohio State, Tennessee and UVA. Johnson will likely make a decision in August, with the Volunteers out in front. Finally, Walker Kessler is also a Cavs target, but with the program's frontline already fairly crowded, look for Tony Bennett to make a move with either of the bigger wings. I think Abdur-Rahim is the likeliest of the trio to end up in Charlottesville.

No doubt. I’d be hurt too. Hard to imagine it right now tho. Imo
He would be a perfect fit for what UT has going right now. And coming off a 30 win year shouldn’t be a hard sell. If we weren’t going against a similar coach and style with a team coming off a national championship.

VN Store

Back