'20 TN SG Keon Johnson (Tennessee commit 8.6.19)

Vescovi has the potential to be a future first rounder. Good shot, solid court vision, great passing ability. He just needs time in the weight room and a year or 3 of development.

Next years team has a high ceiling and that ceiling can be a national title contender if we get Uros playing to his potential a small a 7ft rim protecting inside threat (or if he can be a stretch 5, that wouldn’t hurt).

I'm confused. How can a 7'1" post be a stretch 5?

By having an outside game and shooting threes. That is what a stretch five is. A big guy who can play on and shoot from the perimeter.

I've thought of a stretch 5 as an undersized low post. Like Derek Reese or Fulkerson. A big guy that can knock down 3s sounds to me like a center that has shooting range.

I've thought if a stretch 5 as an undersized low post. Like Derek Reese or Fulkerson. A big guy that can knock down 3s sounds to me like a center that has shooting range.
The size doesn't dictate if you're stretch 5 or not. If you're a center and a big aspect of your game is shooting 3s, you're a stretch 5. Doesn't matter if you're 6'6 or 7'4.

I've thought of a stretch 5 as an undersized low post. Like Derek Reese or Fulkerson. A big guy that can knock down 3s sounds to me like a center that has shooting range.

Stretch is any inside guy (4 or 5) that can shoot outside. Dirk Nowitzki being the first to come to mind that fits the mold of a normal size 5 that shoots outside.

Reactions: k-town_king
The size doesn't dictate if you're stretch 5 or not. If you're a center and a big aspect of your game is shooting 3s, you're a stretch 5. Doesn't matter if you're 6'6 or 7'4.

Well you learn something new all the time. I thought that stretch 4s and stretch 5s were undersized for the spots rather than capable of stretching the floor. Pretty sure I've seen Fulk referenced as a stretch 5, however he just took his first 3-point shot last night.

As other posters have said its about style of play and shooting ability.

Brandon Clarke was a good example at Gonzaga. Undersized big man but not a "stretch" player really. Robin Lopez is 7'1 and has transformed into a stretch five in the NBA.

Stretch is any inside guy (4 or 5) that can shoot outside. Dirk Nowitzki being the first to come to mind that fits the mold of a normal size 5 that shoots outside.

Karl Anthony Towns, Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, Nikola Jocik...

It’s actually pretty common to see C/PFs developing a descent 3 PT shot in today’s game.

Well you learn something new all the time. I thought that stretch 4s and stretch 5s were undersized for the spots rather than capable of stretching the floor. Pretty sure I've seen Fulk referenced as a stretch 5, however he just took his first 3-point shot last night.
Anyone saying Fulk falls in this category is wrong. Your Reese example is better. Chism is probably a decent example too. I don't think he really sought out the 3 ball, but he wouldn't hesitate to let it fly if he was open.

Anyone saying Fulk falls in this category is wrong. Your Reese example is better. Chism is probably a decent example too. I don't think he really sought out the 3 ball, but he wouldn't hesitate to let it fly if he was open.

Chism is the first one that I just thought of. Any 4 or 5 (or 3 for that matter) that can shoot seemed like a stretch to be labeled a stretch to me.

Chism is the first one that I just thought of. Any 4 or 5 (or 3 for that matter) that can shoot seemed like a stretch to be labeled a stretch to me.

It would have been interesting to see how Chism could have developed under Rick Barnes if he was our coach at the time.

Talented player he was.

Reactions: k-town_king
On Vescovi, I can’t remember the last freshman guard that was this good this soon.

Probably Lofton?

Tennessee signee Keon Johnson, the No. 16 ranked player in the Class of 2020, was expected to be moving onto campus and getting ready for summer school and workouts with his coaches in a little more than two weeks. An electric athlete with the ability to make an impact on both ends of the floor, Johnson is doing what he can to get ready on his own while finishing up his high school requirements with online classes through the Webb School of Bellbuckle, Tn. “It’s not been hard to keep up with my school work being that it was toward the end of the year,” Johnson said. “I usually spend a couple of hours with that depending on the day and then I do what I can to work out and stay in shape.
“I’m just really turning my focus to college now since all this happened and my senior year pretty much got cut short.” Johnson has just recently returned to running full speed after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus that cut his senior basketball season back in December. “I’m still not 100% healthy but I’m running now. The doctors were just being super careful before clearing me to run, they wanted to make sure that I was completely healed, and now I’m getting back to where I was,” Johnson said. “There’s a high school across the street from my house so I’m going over there every afternoon to get in some work, just run and build my wind back up.”
“It was tough, it was really tough, it kind of broke me down at first, just knowing that I wasn’t going to be able to finish my senior year the way I wanted to with my teammates,” Johnson said. “I was so focused on winning a state title to close out my career and I truly believe we were going to do that. “In the end though, I think that having to deal with that and get past it made me stronger.” As far as his basketball skill work goes Johnson is trying to get creative and is working with Tennessee coaches to get ideas on what he can do to improve his skill set. “I talk with Coach (Des) Oliver a few times a week and we text all the time,” Johnson shared. “He’s really good at sending me different video clips of drills and different things that I can do on my own to get better.
“I’m really focusing on ball handling more than anything else right now because I’m going to be a combo guard in college. I feel like that’s the area of my game where I need to make the most improvement.” He made a rocket like rise up the rankings last summer though as increased exposure on the adidas summer circuit and a tour-de-force showing at a USA Basketball camp at the Olympic Training Facility in Colorado Springs to cap his summer gave him a chance to show what he’s capable of against elite competition in front of an array of coaches and scouts. “I always felt like I could play but especially at the USA Basketball event I got a chance to see how I stacked up against all the top players and show what I can do. “I still don’t think that everyone knows what I’m capable of, what I can do, but I’m going to show it when I get to the University of Tennessee.”
When that might be is still very much undetermined. In the meantime, Johnson and the two other incoming freshmen; Jaden Springer and Corey Walker Jr., are getting a jump start on team bonding. “We talk and text all the time, but what we really like to do is play NBA2K online against each other,” Johnson said. “We all play with our own created players against each other. In the game I’m actually a center.” So who’s the best player? Johnson doesn’t hesitate, “I am,” he said with a chuckle.
-VQ

Last edited:
When the school switched to online classes this last semester, it required everyone living on campus to move out. I thought they were still going to do online learning only this summer, so I thought they weren’t going to have anyone in the dorms, and hence Keon and the others might not have been able to come to campus

When the school switched to online classes this last semester, it required everyone living on campus to move out. I thought they were still going to do online learning only this summer, so I thought they weren’t going to have anyone in the dorms, and hence Keon and the others might not have been able to come to campus
I guess I missed where he said he'd be on campus. Was that in the article? All I saw was that "when that is is still to be determined."

I guess I missed where he said he'd be on campus. Was that in the article? All I saw was that "when that is is still to be determined."
The first part of what MoB posted says “Tennessee signee Keon Johnson, the No. 16 ranked player in the Class of 2020, expected to be moving onto campus and getting ready for summer school and workouts with his coaches in a little more than two weeks.” Maybe I’ve misinterpreted and it means he was expected to move onto campus then, but is now not

The first part of what MoB posted says “Tennessee signee Keon Johnson, the No. 16 ranked player in the Class of 2020, expected to be moving onto campus and getting ready for summer school and workouts with his coaches in a little more than two weeks.” Maybe I’ve misinterpreted and it means he was expected to move onto campus then, but is now not
It states that he was expected to move on campus.

Reactions: MoB_MoVols

VN Store

Back